Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Jobcentre Plus job search

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When searching on the Jobcentre Plus website for a job in a photo lab, what category do you search in? I searched for 'photo lab' and 'photographic technician', but nothing came up. Does that kind of job come under retail? It won't be 'skilled' or professional, will it, because you don't need qualifications, they train you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're selling goods to to the public, it will almost certainly be under the retail category.
    i think the best thing for you to do is to go to your local job centre, especially if your having no luck at finding anything.
    i think the best thing for you to do is to go to your local job centre, especially if your having no luck at finding anything.
    Aye. The search facility on the Jobcentre Plus website isn't terribly reliable. I ask it for vacancies within 30 miles of my address, and it gives me vacancies that are up in Scotland. Hmm...
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Aye. The search facility on the Jobcentre Plus website isn't terribly reliable. I ask it for vacancies within 30 miles of my address, and it gives me vacancies that are up in Scotland. Hmm...
    Your not the only one!
    It's not a very common job on the Jobecentre database.

Where abouts do you live? i've got the system used for jobsearches open right now, i work for Jobcentreplus. Best thing to do is ring us on 0845 6060 234 but i wouldn't expect much from that type of job.

The best thing to do is look up companies, make a good CV and take it round yourself then chase it up later.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I guess there aren't that many photo lab jobs available. I took my CV into one in my home town last year. They said there was a vacancy coming up and that they would get in touch, but they never did. They probably gave the job to someone they knew. There is another lab in my home town and I heard they set 2 people on last year, but I'm going to take my CV into that one soon.

If you work for Jobcentre Plus, can I ask you a question? I get laid off from work temporarily now and again. When I make a claim for jobseekers allowance and they ask what kind of job I'm looking for, I usually say the same kind of work as I'm doing now. But next time I make a claim, I want to say I'm looking for a job in a photo lab instead, because if I left my current job permanently and got another job, that's what I would want to do. But would they accept that as an option to put on my statement, even if it was a temporary job I was looking for, or would they say I was being too limited? It's not as if I wouldn't be looking for that kind of work myself while I was signing on for the few weeks I was laid off.
    Yeah, it's 13 weeks where they send you for the new deal interview, but i don't normally sign on for that long at a time.

Max Spielman was the lab i took my CV into, but i keep forgetting that Boots have a alab, so thanks for that :)