Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical on drugs!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote: »
    WOT r u nuts? drugs r bad!

Which ones? Alcohol? Aspirin? Are 'drugs' bad purely because they are against the law?
  • Options
    Why do law abiding tax payers have to pay for benefits for drugs addicts? it's disgusting.
  • Options
    Why do law abiding tax payers have to pay for benefits for drugs addicts? it's disgusting.

You assume that all those with addiction problems are on the dole - they are not. There are many so called 'white-collar' addicts (particularly to opiates) who are able to function without state maintenance.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

Because we are paying for them anyway. We all pay for them through taxes for police, prisons and court costs. Plus of course we all pay because of the crime - insurance etc.

Illegal drug addiction costs billions, and we all pay. Either we accept that and actually try and deal with the situation, or we carry on paying indirectly through increased crime. Mass prescription of heroin to addicts would cost us a lot less than the current situation.
  • Options
    You assume that all those with addiction problems are on the dole - they are not. There are many so called 'white-collar' addicts (particularly to opiates) who are able to function without state maintenance.

Not to mention the tens of thousands of 'functional' alcoholics.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Which ones? Alcohol? Aspirin? Are 'drugs' bad purely because they are against the law?

i was taking the piss out of stitty
  • Options
    Even the fucking police know the drug war is lost!

who's saying the war is lost?

I just think taking away a source of income from a bunch of desperate people will create a rise in crime. That £45 they will lose needs to come from somewhere, with a record it's not gonna be from a job, most likely gonna be the telly from my house.
  • Options
    Spending on enforcement goes up, the price and shortage of drugs comes down. Check mate, mate.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

I just think taking away a source of income from a bunch of desperate people will create a rise in crime. That £45 they will lose needs to come from somewhere, with a record it's not gonna be from a job, most likely gonna be the telly from my house.

So in other words if you gave people the drugs on prescription they wouldnt commit the crimes?
  • Options
    Anyone who is able to look at the situation rationally.

The 'war' on drugs is unwinnable. Always has been, always will be. And no punishment in the world is going to deter people from taking drugs.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And no punishment in the world is going to deter people from taking drugs.
    Hmm, not entirely sure about that one. Look at what's happening in Dubai at the moment. Recently, a DJ from Radio 1 was found to have a few grains of cannabis on him. He's now doing porridge and his only chance of release is if he gets a pardon from the King. This isn't the only case of it either - I read a lot, particularly in the dance press, about them really cracking down hard on illegal drugs. I think the chance of doing a spell in a Dubai prison might well scare the shit out of people...
  • Options
    Into bringing drugs into the country (inadvertidly, as often has been the case with Dubai), perhaps. But there are still drugs to be found in Dubai, any anywhere else for that mattered regardless of how merciless the authorities might be.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Hmm, not entirely sure about that one. Look at what's happening in Dubai at the moment. Recently, a DJ from Radio 1 was found to have a few grains of cannabis on him. He's now doing porridge and his only chance of release is if he gets a pardon from the King. This isn't the only case of it either - I read a lot, particularly in the dance press, about them really cracking down hard on illegal drugs. I think the chance of doing a spell in a Dubai prison might well scare the shit out of people...

Yet Iran which has similar penalties has hundreds of thousands of heroin addicts and even a small but growing crack problem. Its society which is the key factor - tough penalties by themselves dont work.
  • Options
    So in other words if you gave people the drugs on prescription they wouldnt commit the crimes?

No, some people are pre-disposed to comitting crimes, drugs are irrelevant for them. All the new rules will mean is that those addicts who lose their £45 a week in benefits will go and steal a few extra car radios to make it up.

Stop trying to make me agree with your belief that the war on drugs is lost :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Anyone who is able to look at the situation rationally.

The 'war' on drugs is unwinnable. Always has been, always will be. And no punishment in the world is going to deter people from taking drugs.

I'm disagreeing with him because he is trying to put words in my mouth.

I agree with you all that stopping someone's benefits is a very bad idea for all concerned, and we certainly need to think about what needs doing. I don't personally think the route we should be taking is the legalisation of drugs, when ultimately we want people off them.

Treatment for the users, hard time for the dealers/suppliers/traffickers (who are normally tied in with other crimes anyway.
  • Options
    Treatment for the users, hard time for the dealers/suppliers/traffickers (who are normally tied in with other crimes anyway.

I completely agree there should be treatment available (although at the moment it seems very few people actually finish it properly). But 'hard time' for dealers has proven to be no deterant what so ever, in fact the harder we make it for dealers the nastier they become.
  • Options
    I completely agree there should be treatment available (although at the moment it seems very few people actually finish it properly). But 'hard time' for dealers has proven to be no deterant what so ever, in fact the harder we make it for dealers the nastier they become.

There's too much emphasis on deterrent, prison is a punishment as well as a deterrent.

10 years inside for smuggling cocaine might not deter someone else, but it'll certainly punish the poor sod who got caught and banged up.
  • Options
    10 years inside for smuggling cocaine might not deter someone else, but it'll certainly punish the poor sod who got caught and banged up.

Yes, but what does it actually achieve? How many people do we need to lock up before it starts working?
  • Options
    Yes, but what does it actually achieve?

it punishes the person who got caught dealing......
  • Options
    it punishes the person who got caught dealing......

Putting someone in prison for 10 years costs us loads, if all we are doing is punishing one person with no deterant factor then he will be replaced, the trade will continue and we have gained nothing.

There needs to be a benefit if we are going to send people to prison, public protection (doesnt work if the dealer is replaced quickly), rehabilitation (currently isnt working at all) or deterant (doesnt seem to have any effect).
  • Options
    And the prospect of facing ten years means the guy will carry a gun and blow you away ...rather than let you take his wee bag of magic powder ...rising gun crime and ...come on your sposed to be a copper not some local ignorant!
  • Options
    And the prospect of facing ten years means the guy will carry a gun and blow you away ...rather than let you take his wee bag of magic powder ...rising gun crime and ...come on your sposed to be a copper not some local ignorant!

You see, that's where the clever bit comes in. Publicise that drug smugglers will only serve a couple of years. Then arrest them all at once and sentence them to 30 each. They'll be taken by surprise!

Seriously, most big-time dealers and smugglers carry weapons anyway, and they're very unlikely to ever be come across by someone as low down the food chain as me, so i'm not worried about being shot. The most I have to worry about are the knife wielding maniacs that live on the estate I patrol.
  • Options
    You see, that's where the clever bit comes in. Publicise that drug smugglers will only serve a couple of years. Then arrest them all at once and sentence them to 30 each. They'll be taken by surprise!

now that i like!:)
  • Options
    Even if you managed to arrest every single dealer and smuggler in the country the supply would be back to normal within a month, two at the very most.

The smugglers and the dealers have more money than the Police will ever have.
  • Options
    Even if you managed to arrest every single dealer and smuggler in the country the supply would be back to normal within a month, two at the very most.

The smugglers and the dealers have more money than the Police will ever have.

I remember a few years back that the met were celebrating the biggest coke bust in history and we talked about it on here ...i made a post about the met saying coke would be in short supply for a while ...and the reality was that the streets were flooded within 24hrs with coke that was purer and cheaper ...like a it of defiance.
  • Options
    On a more serious note ...how the hell is this in anyway meant to fight the drug problem or be helpful in any way to the individual or society as a whole?
    Addicts are notoriously unreliable and live rather disordered lives ...stopping theire measly forty five quid a week or whatever it is can only raise crime levels.

Soemone very stupid made this all up he should stand in front of the world and announce how stupid he is
  • Options
    feelim wrote: »
    Soemone very stupid made this all up he should stand in front of the world and announce how stupid he is
    Watch parliament on the telly ...especialy primeministers questions ...and there they all are.