Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radical on drugs!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The latest in the drugs war ...
if an addict fails to turn up for treatment his benefits will stop ...WOW!
It has cost millions of pounds of your money for such a ground breaking ....
i can't go on ...i'm overcome with amazement that government can be so dumb ...so useless ...so vindictive even.

Comments

• Options
    Giving heroin out on prescription left right and centre is a form of surrender, but we've well and truely lost the fight against drugs - our best hope is to manage the problem as best we can.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the day when benefits are withdrawen for walking on the cracks in the pavement, wearing a loud shirt in a built up area or having an offensive wife...
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    or having an offensive wife...
    Better get my bags packed!
  • Options
    On a more serious note ...how the hell is this in anyway meant to fight the drug problem or be helpful in any way to the individual or society as a whole?
    Addicts are notoriously unreliable and live rather disordered lives ...stopping theire measly forty five quid a week or whatever it is can only raise crime levels.
  • Options
    On a more serious note ...how the hell is this in anyway meant to fight the drug problem or be helpful in any way to the individual or society as a whole?
    Addicts are notoriously unreliable and live rather disordered lives ...stopping theire measly forty five quid a week or whatever it is can only raise crime levels.

It's not it's propaganda aimed at Middle Englands voters
  • Options
    But surely even middle England don't fall for crap like this any longer ...afdter all middle England is where most of the drug taking is.
  • Options
    But surely even middle England don't fall for crap like this any longer ...afdter all middle England is where most of the drug taking is.

Maybe Rolly, but there is a big difference between use and addiction. These measures arent aimed at users, who the government largely ignores, they are aimed at the 80,000 or so hardcore crack and heroin addicts who commit frankly alarming amounts of crime.
  • Options
    The word "gimmick" comes to mind.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    , they are aimed at the 80,000 or so hardcore crack and heroin addicts who commit frankly alarming amounts of crime.
    Well when they take what little money they get on a regular basis ...crime will rocket.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the day when benefits are withdrawen for walking on the cracks in the pavement, wearing a loud shirt in a built up area or having an offensive wife...

But you'd only do that to one man...

I remember Not The Nine O'clock News too ;)
  • Options
    WOT!!!!!!! r u people nuts!!! a war on drugs is the daftest thing i have ever heard, thats about as good as the war in irag for flip sake!! firstly its a waste of resources that we barely have enogh of, secoundly the peelers should focus their attetnion on murders and rapes etc. im not a drug user lets just clear that up.

if people want to take drugs then let them, we need to get the shame back into drug use, like for example, if u seen some jackass totaly wiped ud be like, i dont wana end up like him
    i think the best way to do this is to legalise class c and b drugs cos at least its of the streets and outa the dealers hands plus it can be policed a hell of a lot easier!
  • Options
    stitty415 wrote: »
    we need to get the shame back into drug use...
    Was there shame in drug use in the first place? People have almost certainly been doing drugs ever since the days we evolved from apes, if not before.
  • Options
    WOT!!!!!!! r u people nuts!!! a war on drugs is the daftest thing i have ever heard, thats about as good as the war in irag for flip sake!! firstly its a waste of resources that we barely have enogh of, secoundly the peelers should focus their attetnion on murders and rapes etc. im not a drug user lets just clear that up.

if people want to take drugs then let them, we need to get the shame back into drug use, like for example, if u seen some jackass totaly wiped ud be like, i dont wana end up like him
    i think the best way to do this is to legalise class c and b drugs cos at least its of the streets and outa the dealers hands plus it can be policed a hell of a lot easier!

Actually according to the government's own research the current system of criminalisation is 'fundamentally flawed' 'contradictory' and 'non based upon sound empirical bases' (ACMD, 2006). If you add to this the report by Lord Birt from 2006 which affirmed the view that current programmes of criminalisation are not working, then it becomes puzzling (or perhaps not) why governments continually reject their own research.

Also; engineering shame is a dangerous game, because it often makes the most vulnerable people even harder to access and help.
  • Options

What do you mean by "we need to get the shame back into drug use"?
  • Options

It's not.

They are almost bankrupt, you will see dozens of these kinds of initiatives as they desperately try to get enough cash in to keep operating. Not spending money out and taking more in through extra taxes, fines and licences is the way they are going to try and pay for northern rock and the banking system failure.

Every easy, soft target that can be sold to the public via the papers will be under attack from the NuLabour buffoons. Think of a stupid idea that won't work but will make or save money for the government and will be applauded by the average sun reader and you won't be far wrong.

Drug users, single mothers, immigrants..basically anyone without political or economic clout is going ot get shafted. Anyone 5 minutes late with their tax bill will be fined into oblivion, the standard stuff the desperate pull.

They will fail. The government will financially collapse. Don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Wot I Mean By Put The Shame Back Into Drugs Is That In Todays Soceity Is Almost Classed As Cool To Take Drugs Ya Know, By Puttin The Shame Into, Much Like Wot Their Doin With Binge Drinkin People Wot Be Put Off More
  • Options
    Wot I Mean By Put The Shame Back Into Drugs Is That In Todays Soceity Is Almost Classed As Cool To Take Drugs Ya Know, By Puttin The Shame Into, Much Like Wot Their Doin With Binge Drinkin People Wot Be Put Off More
    And what makes you think it wouldn't have been seen as "cool" in past societies? Don't believe everything that the history books tell you. Anyway, let's have a look at something you said earlier; "...We need to get the shame back into drug use... I think the best way to do this is to legalise class C and B drugs, cos at least [that way] it's off the streets and outta the dealers hands, plus it can be policed..."

So, the way to make drug-taking shameful and morally wrong is legalise most of them? I'm confused.
  • Options
    and heres what shitty said in the drugs forum earlier ...

"coke is the biggest load of balls, at 40 quid a gram it is ridiculuosly dear!!! it barely does anything and its addictive!! its a drug for people who take drugs for the sake of takin drugs!! coke is a dangerous road to go down for a drug that does very little!! for flip sake dope does more to you!! if ur gona take any class a u should beat a few pills into ya, they hardly cost anything and ur fucked for ages, i know a lot of people will say they are worse which i could well beleive but coke is completly pointless!!!" ....

Shitty ...shut the edited to be a bit more polite like.
  • Options
    What's wrong with taking drugs?
  • Options
    WOT r u nuts? drugs r bad!
  • Options
    Mr_Mackey.jpg

:p
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Nail - Head.

This is the very thing it is. They have no care for the real situation, only the next election.

Welcome to Democracy!
  • Options
    But you'd only do that to one man...

I remember Not The Nine O'clock News too ;)

Showing your age now, might have to transfer you to the SPG ;)
  • Options
    I would like to add (apologies if this has been said already) that the three most commonly used substances in the UK tend to follow the ACE model, especially for mid/early teenagers -

*Alcohol
    *Cannabis
    *Ecstasy

The price and availability of all three has increased since 1990, not gone down. Young people can get more of these, more places, more often - prohibition is simply, categorically, irrefutably not working.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The price and availability of all three has increased since 1990, not gone down. Young people can get more of these, more places, more often - prohibition is simply, categorically, irrefutably not working.

Did you mean the price has gone down and the availablity has gone up? :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The price and availability of all three has increased since 1990, have gone in the wrong direction. Young people can get more of these, more places, more often - prohibition is simply, categorically, irrefutably not working.

And even if we could get prohibition to work more effectively the government knows full well that crime would just go up to pay the higher prices.

To me it seems more than a little telling that drug related crime has gone down by 20% over the last few years - during which time prices have dropped around that much to.
  • Options
    No benefits=Addicts go out and burgle more houses and rob more people.

Least i'll be busy.

(always look on the bright side).
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Least i'll be busy. (always look on the bright side).
    Aye. All that paperwork will need doing... :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Aye. All that paperwork will need doing... :p

I'm a PSO, don't have to do paperwork, well not much anyway. We just grab em and bag em :p
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    No benefits=Addicts go out and burgle more houses and rob more people.

Least i'll be busy.

(always look on the bright side).

Even the fucking police know the drug war is lost!