Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

worrying about my course!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
yes, yes i know its normal to worry about your course before you go to uni... BUT this is a bit different because I'm doing nursing, which means we do irregular hours in comparison to other students. I'm not worried about the course itself, more the people I'm going to be living with and the people I'm going to meet. I'm worried that I'm only going to make friends with people on my course and hardly anyone in my halls. :confused:

I was just hoping that someone who was/is in a similar position to me could ease my worries a little bit. :)

any general advice welcomed too :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yes you'll do irregular hours, but I'm an engineering student (35 hours contact)and do irregular hours compared to my friend who does History of Art (about 4 hours contact a week), my Scientist friends who have Saturday morning classes and my medic/vet friends who have classes in the evenings.

Students are all over the place time wise, you make friends regardless.
  • Options
    If you make an effort you can and will make friends with others - I've made a friend this year with a medic.

But last year I was living with 4 nurses and none of them made an effort at all, they exclusively went out with people from their course. So it's up to you :)
  • Options
    I lived in halls during my first year. I didn't live with any other student nurses and I had a whale of a time, though it actually would've been nice to have a bit of 'sensible bedtime solidarity' once in a while. I lived with loads of nutters (meant in the nicest possible way :razz:) whose average bedtime was 3am and who had about 2 hours of lectures a week. Granted, when I was on placements I didn't see quite so much of my flatmates and I had to forsake a lot of the nights out they went on, but we saw each other all the time and you still have ample opportunity to go out - when you're not on placement and even when you are (provided you're sensible about it).

On nursing courses a good proportion of the students tend to live at home/off-campus because they have families or have come to nursing later in life and therefore already have a home set-up ticking over quite nicely. This means you will definitely meet non-nursing students on campus... everywhere you go, in fact. Don't fret about it, you'll be fine :D
  • Options
    cheers guys :thumb: , it's actually made me feel alot better about it.
    I'm looking forward to it even more now :)
  • Options
    FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Great advice guys!
    A similar-ish question has been asked before.
    Good luck with it all!