Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scary driving!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had a near miss today and I haven't even passed yet! Wasn't my fault though. Was on my way back home and coming along a road upto a junction (bearing in mind you can see from the junction ok so it's not like traffic comes out of nowhere) where a tractor with a huge spikey digger pulls out right infront of me. It's a tight junction so the digger part swings out to my side right infront of me, luckily there was another junction opposite with no one in so I managed to swerve in. There was someone behind me too and even if I'd stopped I probaby would still have been hit. Didn't scare me at the time but I'm quite shaken now! I haven't even passed! What near misses have you had?

Comments

• Options
    So your instructor didn't notice the hulking great tractor?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Oh bless! That cant be nice when you are learning, but at least you now know there seems to be an awful lot of dickheads on the road!

I remember when my instructor told me a story of one of her pupils being hit in the rear on their way to their driving test! Nice!
  • Options
    some people are such idiots :no:

ive had a couple of near misses too - both with other vehicles and 'stupid' pedestrians who feel the need to walk out in front of me

the worst one was probably when i was driving at a moderate speed of about 45 up a hill back home on the iom - and some woman was coming out of a turning to my left, turning right onto the main road. i swear she looked right at me, so when i saw her look and not move i assumed she'd seen me and wait until id gone before going out - NOOO
    she went right on out, and it was all i could do not to go full pelt into the side of her car and kill her! i slammed the breaks on and swerved - practically went into the hedge and the car behind me veery narrowly escaped hitting me.
    idiot woman :rolleyes:

another time a little boy on a bike rode out in front of me and i veery veery narrowly missed hitting him. in fact, i breaked and tried to move away from him, and in the process knocked off the mirror of a parked car next to me :blush: he understood tho so twas all ok

oh yeah, and last night in fact i nearly hit another car. he was pinning me in when we were going round a 2 lane junction.. thing, and so in order to avoid hitting him i went a bit too close to the bollard in the middle of the road, and the back wheel hit. got a really bad puncture and had to call the AA. :impissed: not impressed
    i really need to learn how to change tyres...

got toons more but i think id bore everyone if i listed each and every single one :)
  • Options
    I've had two near-misses. The first was in fairly similar circumstances to yours. I was driving up a hill on a national speed limit road, doing around 50mph. At the top of the hill, there is an entrance to the farm, but it's one of those entrances that you don't see until the last minute. When I got to the top of the hill, I noticed probably the biggest tractor I've ever seen pulling out. I had to slam on the brakes. If there had been someone behind me at the time, they would have almost certainly been killed.

It scared the hell out of me. When I arrived at work that day, I had to sit down for the first ten minutes, I was shaking that much. I'm far more cautious a driver as a result, though - I probably was going too fast on that stretch.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Today there was some twat who was weaving in and out of the motorway traffic like an idiot. And then he decided to come off at the junction when it was, in actual fact, too late to do so. He'll either kill himself or some poor, innocent person who got in the way.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    He'll either kill himself or some poor, innocent person who got in the way.

its the latter that worries me! I mean I dont like to dwell, but I was a poor innocent and look what happened to me!

And people wonder why I am now scared of driving, errrr possibly coz there are people out there who have no concern for their own or the safety of others!
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    So your instructor didn't notice the hulking great tractor?

It was waiting and we saw it and because it was quite busy we assumed he would wait like you're supposed to. He had pleanty of time to see me coming but pulled out right at the last minute.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    It was waiting and we saw it and because it was quite busy we assumed he would wait like you're supposed to. He had pleanty of time to see me coming but pulled out right at the last minute.

How peculiar. Some people do that though. It's a learning experience. There will be lots more of them, as you carry on driving. You will never cease to be amazed by what people will do, in fact. All you can do is try to anticipate it, but there are still things you can't account for.
  • Options
    Don't learn! Traffic is evil.

It's just taken me 2.5 hours to drive 16 miles. Well, specifically it took me an hour and 50 mins to drive ONE MILE, and then 40 mins to go the other 15 :grump:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Don't learn! Traffic is evil.

It's just taken me 2.5 hours to drive 16 miles. Well, specifically it took me an hour and 50 mins to drive ONE MILE, and then 40 mins to go the other 15 :grump:

That sucks. Which mile was it?
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    That sucks. Which mile was it?

The one immediately preceding j40 of the M1 :impissed:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    The one immediately preceding j40 of the M1 :impissed:

Ahh yes.
  • Options
    On country roads you have quite a few near misses with nobheads driving too fast. Best one was when some cunt in a Clio decided to overtake a tractor. Fair enough, except I was coming the other way at the time. I hope he parked it in a tree and did himself some serious damage driving like that. I hope he didn't park it in someone else and do them some serious damage.

Everyone makes mistakes though.
  • Options
    I remember when I was about 15 my Mam was driving us down to Aberdeen, some absolute fruitcake in a tractor decided not to give way and drove right in front of us.

I swear to god that's the most upset I've seen my Mam, another millisecond and that would've been Goodnight Vienna.

As a pedestrian I got hit by a big fuck off lorry last year, got off with a bruised arm. That was my own stupidity though, but again it was very nearly game over.
  • Options
    I've never had anything like that on my lessons. Although on saturday morning I nearly crashed when a suicidal squirrel ran out infron of my car. I was more bothered about NOT killing it than I was killing me and my instructor. I screamed and everything. Some men in a van at a junction who saw were pissing themselves :blush:
  • Options
    I am sad to say I have hit several squirrels before because I am not about to swerve off the road or into the other lane when they decide they want to die. I try to step on the brakes but sometimes they just can't make up their minds which way they want to go and I can't avoid them.
  • Options
    That's pretty impressive. Squirrles are quick fuckers.

Anywho... my driving instructor was awful too. She loved to slam on the breaks while I was driving. And since after x amount of times (has it been that long I can't remember?) we had to drive for 2 hours at a time for a few lessons, she used to have me drive her to buy shit for her dog at the hunting store an hour away. Weeeiiiird lady.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    That's pretty impressive. Squirrles are quick fuckers.

They're stupid though.
    I don't go a week without killing some little critter, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel.
    I fucked my car up a couple of times now hitting dear. Never hit any commoners animals thank fuck. I saw the results of a 40mph car and a pig the other week. What a mess.

Because I live the new forest, all unfenced roads are 40mph or less, which is often a right pain in the arse. I don't tend to stick to it all the time.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Women, for pity's sake don't drive!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4&feature=related
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    2 words: old people :mad:
  • Options
    I still can't drive :( but some of my friends (all of my boy friends that can drive actually) are absolute nuttas behind the wheel.

I've given up driving, last time I drove a car I crashed into a Van!! Luckily I didn't leave a dent. I only crashed because my Dad kept bellowing instructions at me and it put me off.

Once I got in a lads car and I was with two other girls I didn't know very well and one of them said, 'I never wear seatbelts' trying to look cool. A few months after one of her best mates died in car crash. It really annoys me when people think stuff like is cool!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    2 words: old people :mad:

OId people wearing flat caps are the worst.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Was on my scooter behind my mate an the lights changed too quick, my scooter was quite fast so i was shootin down then i had to break and ended up screetchign along the road and just about swerving to the side of a car at the light and carry on braking.

Loads of times i race for the lights then have to break at them making skidding the tyres.

Don't know really, definately had a few but i can't remember them.

Try not racing for the lights then. zoom-stop driving probably isn't doing your scooter any good either.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

:lol:

You've reminded me too...
    If the crazies are going to drive, don't let them take it for an oil change :p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZfF_1y5l60