Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who wants to bet this research has no impact?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    It was for mild to moderate depression.

No it was afigure reached based on all medical trials of these SSRI's up until that point including the more severe depressions.
    For those with moderate to severe depression the latest study into the clinical trials showed that the SSRIs were significantly more effective than placebo. Or that's what the Guardian says, I don't have the medical knowledge to wade through the actual report.

I do it later
    I don't think serotonin is the cause of depression, the brain's far too complicated for that, but I don't think that the press coverage that "prozac is shit" is helpful either.

And being told that you have depression through a chemical inbalance is, when there's still no scientific evidence to proove it?
    C'mon. People take it as fact when it isn't.

Making people rely on uprooven drugs that carry serious and dangerous risks is fucking far from helpful.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    And being told that you have depression through a chemical inbalance is, when there's still no scientific evidence to proove it?
    C'mon. People take it as fact when it isn't.
    It is a fact in 10% of cases. In the other 90% of cases, it's merely a symptom. And so in these cases, drugs are a treatment rather than a cure. What's wrong with that? And as a treatment, they're pretty effective in many cases, as this study showed. The problem isn't with the drugs, it's with their use. The drugs work fine, but if you don't use them in conjunction with treating the root cause of the illness, then you could create a dependance and a relapse into depression when you stop taking the drugs. They should be used in conjunction with effective therapy. Plenty of treatments come with drugs to help you deal with the symptoms associated with the illness. Complaining that anti-depressents don't cure depression is like complaining that painkillers don't cure the cause of your pain. They help you deal with it until either the body heals itself, or you are given treatment to address the causes.
  • Options

Making people rely on uprooven drugs that carry serious and dangerous risks is fucking far from helpful.
    But very profitable.
  • Options
    And Ritalin is an SSRI

No its not, its technically far more similar to amphetamine.
  • Options
    It is a fact in 10% of cases. In the other 90% of cases, it's merely a symptom

Conclusive evidence please? Because you won't find it, it doesn't exist.
    That depression is caused by inccorect levels of seratonin in the brain is still just THEORY.

And based on that how can SSRI's be a prooven cure?

Spend a little time reading this about the The Serotonin Hypothesis
    http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0020392

And so in these cases, drugs are a treatment rather than a cure. What's wrong with that?

They're marketed as a cure but they carry serious risks of increasing suicidal thoughts. Whilst a placebo has been to shown to be 80% effective AT WORST than these SSRI's, these SSRI's have been shown to multiply suicidal thoughts by up to 14 times where as the placebo doesn't. I think that's a seriously worring facr.

Especially when you condider that SSRIs can be linked to many sucides where other 3rd parties have been killed (see school shootings).

And as a treatment, they're pretty effective in many cases, as this study showed.

What study were you reading? The very one you posted
    http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045&ct=1
    Conclusions

Drug?placebo differences in antidepressant efficacy increase as a function of baseline severity, but are relatively small even for severely depressed patients. The relationship between initial severity and antidepressant efficacy is attributable to decreased responsiveness to placebo among very severely depressed patients, rather than to increased responsiveness to medication.

The problem isn't with the drugs, it's with their use.

Again they carry some serious risks. That's a problem right there.

The drugs work fine

:chin:

Complaining that anti-depressents don't cure depression is like complaining that painkillers don't cure the cause of your pain. They help you deal with it until either the body heals itself, or you are given treatment to address the causes.

We understand how pain works and how painkillers work to eleviate that. That's not true of depression and SSRI's
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    No its not, its technically far more similar to amphetamine.

I knew that so I don't know what led me to post otherwise.
    We used cain my mates Ritalin when we were younger.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Conclusions

Drug?placebo differences in antidepressant efficacy increase as a function of baseline severity, but are relatively small even for severely depressed patients. The relationship between initial severity and antidepressant efficacy is attributable to decreased responsiveness to placebo among very severely depressed patients, rather than to increased responsiveness to medication.

I'll address the rest of your post later, but you must be reading this quote differently from me. If there was absolutely no difference between placebos and anti-depressents, as you claim, then there would be no difference between their effectiveness at the top end. The fact that the difference found by this study is caused by a decrease in responsiveness to placebos is quite inconsequential. The fact is there is a difference, and so the anti-depressents are effective in a way that placebos aren't.
  • Options
    But very profitable.

:yes:

It's the most prescribed drug in America.

The amount of foster kids in America being prescribed psychotropic drugs is shocking. In Texas two out of 3 foster kids are on one or more psychotropic drug starting with kids as young as 3

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFPJL66p4c&feature=PlayList&p=3D9D6DCC93F1FEA3&index=0
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Its the use of Adderal (amphetamine by a posh name) in the young which is considerably more concerning than the use of ritalin I think. Not that ritalin doesnt come with a whole load of possible side effects.
  • Options
    Industrial drugs dished out on an industrial level to children ...yet i can be thrown in jail for having a cannabis plant on my kitchen windowsill.
    These attitudes are truly scary ...we are supposed to be a free inteligent society ...
  • Options
    Industrial drugs dished out on an industrial level to children ...yet i can be thrown in jail for having a cannabis plant on my kitchen windowsill.
    These attitudes are truly scary ...we are supposed to be a free inteligent society ...

Kids in foster care having a few behavoural problem so they're deemed mentally ill. So they give them highly addictive drugs liek SSRIs's that fuck with their brain chemistry, to trun them into good little zombies that do as they're told.
    It's outragous.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In Victorian times children were dosed up with laudanum ...opium disolved in alcohol. It stopped the pain of teething and helped them sleep ...or should i say was handy for the parents to drug them to sleep.
    Of course it was eventualy outlawed.
    Now ...the big drug companies drug our children with other substances.
    It should be outlawed.
    The most evil drug pushers on the planet are ...the big drug companies.
    My drugs are illegal ...Their drugs are just fine ...isn't there something wrong here?
  • Options
    Anti-smoking drug linked to suicides given NHS approval...

But it's OK because it costs £163.80 for the full course and Pfizer can make a shit load of money...
  • Options
    Tobacco products given legal sale approval cause cancer death and other stuff

Buts its ok cos the government can rape your wallet to fund nice stuff like tazers, dna databases and shopping trips for minsters relatives.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

Buts its ok cos the government can rape your wallet to fund nice stuff like tazers, dna databases and shopping trips for minsters relatives.

Except tobacco products don't have 'safe approval' because use of them is associated with severe health risks. There are warnings plastered over cigarette packets, smoking is repeatedly condemned at every opportunity and smoking is not promoted. The government doesn't give away cigarettes...
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

Except tobacco products don't have 'safe approval' because use of them is associated with severe health risks. There are warnings plastered over cigarette packets, smoking is repeatedly condemned at every opportunity and smoking is not promoted. The government doesn't give away cigarettes...
  • Options
    1/100,000 people who have have been prescribed the drug in the uk have topped themselves. Sounds like a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc to me.
  • Options
    Plus people aren't forced to take it...
  • Options
    According to wikipedia 10.8 people/100,000 kill themselves. Maybe this drug can be linked to stopping suicides?
  • Options
    If there was absolutely no difference between placebos and anti-depressents, as you claim,

I havn't claimed that. I have siad that studies have show that trials of these SSRI's have show that a placebo at worst is as effctive as the SSRI in 80% of cases. In some particualr SSRI's it was found that the placebo was just at good as eliviating symptoms.

What we DO know is that this SSRI's increase suicidal thoughts, are highly addictive and fuck with brain chemistry in a way we really don't still fully understand.
    then there would be no difference between their effectiveness at the top end. The fact that the difference found by this study is caused by a decrease in responsiveness to placebos is quite inconsequential. The fact is there is a difference, and so the anti-depressents are effective in a way that placebos aren't.

Even in severe depression the effctiveness of these drugs has been labeled 'relatively small', and certainly no more effective than older types of anti depressants like tricyclics.

The probelm I have is that these drugs are given out far too easilly by doctors in this country all ready and that nobody seems to want to ask questions. You look in the depression thread in Health and you'll find peoples advice includes "Go to the doctors and ask him for AD's'.

People who have been led to believe that they are more effective than they are. And they carry serious dangers.
    You don't find it worrying at all, that SSRI's are the most prescribed drug in America?
    Weekender Offender