Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pregnancy test results??? dont wanna believe it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
WE got a £5 test from superdrug and it gave us two lines in the result!

Do you think this is definate or should i buy a higher priced test...

Comments

• Options
    i'd recomend going to a Family planning clinic or the doctors to get it confirmed.
  • Options
    You don't need to post the same thing in two forums - everyone can see the one in Health :).
  • Options
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does 2 lines mean? Is that the number of babies you're going to have?
  • Options
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does 2 lines mean? Is that the number of babies you're going to have?

2 lines = pregnant. On some of the tests.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    You don't need to post the same thing in two forums - everyone can see the one in Health :).

yeah sorry, im a lil stressed out and needing answers :shocking:
  • Options
    i read something recently that the cheapo ones from the £1 shop are just as reliable these days as the ones that cost £10
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i read something recently that the cheapo ones from the £1 shop are just as reliable these days as the ones that cost £10

:yes:

If you are in doubt, take another test. However, the chances of a false positive are a lot smaller than a false negative ...
  • Options
    Ok thanks guys, tbh the signs are there but were not ready really, weve been careful but not careful enough...

So ill buy one more at the weekend for sure.

How doesn a gp confirm it? through another urine test?

And whats the next step after that? a scan?

Thanks
  • Options

I could've sworn I just read that in the chargers thread justnow, I was like wtf :o
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    seaweed wrote: »
    How doesn a gp confirm it? through another urine test?

And whats the next step after that? a scan?

Thanks

Or a blood test.

As for next steps after that, I don't know :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    a GP can also do an internal examination to confirm it.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    a GP can also do an internal examination to confirm it.

how does that work?
  • Options
    they leave the room so you can take off your knickers and trousers, or just draw the curtain, then you lie back with your knees up, they wear gloves and feel your cervix. Nothing horrible.
  • Options
    they dont need to do that on a first appointment though surely.

its unnesseccery isnt it?

And also what do they need the blood sample for! just general health checks :confused:
    :)
  • Options
    I'm guessing 'cos I'm not a girl, but I expect the blood test is to tell if you are pregnant or not.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    they dont need to do that on a first appointment though surely.

its unnesseccery isnt it?

And also what do they need the blood sample for! just general health checks :confused:
    :)

it isnt unnecessary if you have had 3 home positives like I did, it was pointless her doing another test so she gave me an examination and told me how far gone I was.
  • Options
    oh ok, i never knew thats how they told how far your gone. i thought they just had to confirm you was pregnant.

Thanks
  • Options
    In my world it's about how high your going to get.
  • Options
    Confirm it with a urine tests then make an appointment with your GP, as and when your ready. Chitter Chatter. Decisions = termination appointment at the hospital or midwife comes to visit you at home to go through paperwork dates blahdeblah.

Support each area might deal with it differently though...
  • Options
    Could never terminate, although i wish this didnt happen till next year.

thanks for all the advice though :)
  • Options
    In my world it's about how high your going to get.

Hahaha
  • Options
    It can all be a bit daunting if you were not planning the pregnancy. Try not to worry too much, make an appointment with your GP or local medical centre and they will talk you through the options and what will happen next. It might be worth writing down any questions you want to ask so that you dont forget when you are with them and if possible take your partner for some reassurance and support.
  • Options
    well two lines is a positive and since the tests only detect pregnancy hormone if its there, and you dont have pregnancy hormone unless youre actually pregnant (or certain fertility treatments) then I think you can safely say that shes pregnant.
    The doctor will just ask for the dates of her last menstrual period. they wont do another test usually as home pregnancy tests are just as sensitive, if not more sensitive than most of the doctors tests, and they are extremely unlikely to do a vaginal examination at all. the only time ive ever had that in pregnancy was when i thought i was miscarrying (to check cervix was still closed) and in labour. Its not a routine thing to give V.Es thankfully.
    If youre sure she wants to go ahead with the pregnancy, then she just needs to make an appointment with the doctor to start pregnancy care and get advice, folic acid etc and to be booked in to arrange scans etc. if she doesnt want to go ahead with it, she needs to see the doctor even more urgently because you have a time limit there.
  • Options
    oh and good luck, and im sorry the timing isnt great for you, but hope it all works out. It might feel pretty scary, but it isnt the end of the world :)
  • Options
    A friend of mine did several home tests that were positive but the family planning clinic said she wasn't pregnant, I can only assume whatever was causing the positive result was constant so the false positives were repeated. So get it tested by a doctor before getting too stressed.

Hope it works out okay for you :)
  • Options
    well two lines is a positive and since the tests only detect pregnancy hormone if its there, and you dont have pregnancy hormone unless youre actually pregnant (or certain fertility treatments) then I think you can safely say that shes pregnant.
    The doctor will just ask for the dates of her last menstrual period. they wont do another test usually as home pregnancy tests are just as sensitive, if not more sensitive than most of the doctors tests, and they are extremely unlikely to do a vaginal examination at all. the only time ive ever had that in pregnancy was when i thought i was miscarrying (to check cervix was still closed) and in labour. Its not a routine thing to give V.Es thankfully.
    If youre sure she wants to go ahead with the pregnancy, then she just needs to make an appointment with the doctor to start pregnancy care and get advice, folic acid etc and to be booked in to arrange scans etc. if she doesnt want to go ahead with it, she needs to see the doctor even more urgently because you have a time limit there.

Thanks suzy thats really helps me out... :thumb:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    A friend of mine did several home tests that were positive but the family planning clinic said she wasn't pregnant, I can only assume whatever was causing the positive result was constant so the false positives were repeated. So get it tested by a doctor before getting too stressed.

Hope it works out okay for you :)

Thats actually very very unlikely. Its more likely she had a very early miscarriage, so the early pregnancy caused the positives, but by the time the FPC checked it, the pregnancy had ended and the hormone levels had dropped. Not all miscarriages have heavy bleeding, so this could easily have been the case and she would be none the wiser, but she wouldnt have got a single positive pregnancy test unless some pregnancy hormone was detected.
  • Options
    Thanks suzy thats really helps me out... :thumb:

No worries.
    How are you both feeling about it now?
  • Options
    I guess two lines is pregnant then...

well, in that case let yourself check up for a gynecologist. I would believe a preg test if it was negative, but I think it's usual to go extra sure if it turned up positive.

As far as I know they are quite reliable, however.
  • Options
    No worries.
    How are you both feeling about it now?

AT first it was a shock, i did start by thinking how much itll change everything and i wont be free anymore, for example we were going to book a fortnight in the maldives next weekend for november and thats all i been thinking off, i been worrying about money, and thinking i need to get a car e.t.c but after it sunk in, im thinking how great it will be to be a family.

My girlfriend is scared a bit, its bad timing for us, both just started new better jobs! and shes woried about the pain and everything. im 24 and shes 22 so in one sense itll be better for our kids to have younger parents but we would of wanted to do a lot more travelling together first!

Were waiting to do another test at the weekend, then obviosly book a docs app after that.

I didnt like the thought of a doc doing a V.E suzy and do you think im within my right to refuse someone doing that to her on a first appointment.