Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Eduardo's horrific injury & Wenger's reaction

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm sure most of you will by now be aware of the horrific injury Eduardo has sustained after a foul by Martin Taylor. All the best to him- let's hope will make a full recovery and play football again.

You might also be aware of Wenger's comments in which he says Taylor "should never play football again".

I was listening to 606 earlier and most callers were of the opinion that such comments were completely out of order and that Wenger is a hypocrite.

Having seen footage of the tackle on youtube (I'm not sure whether it'll be shown on MOTD to be honest) I would at least say that whilst a bad tackle I don't think Taylor went in maliciously or that outrageously either. You certainly see worse fouls practically every week, even though thankfully the consequences are rarely as grave.

Not condoning the guy at all, but I think Wenger's comments were not on. However it is understandable if he lost it, in the heat of the moment. Perhaps he will retract the comments tomorrow?

All in all a very sorry affair. :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Looked very very very nasty, Tackles like that have ended many many careers.

Definately will be a 3 match ban, I expect Taylor to at least come out and apologise.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wenger's got some nerve coming out and saying that after his gang of petulant thugs went out to cripple Man United's players last weekend.

I watched the match live, and I don't think it was malicious challenge at all. Malicious is Eboue, Gallas, Flamini and Traore last week. Not this.

Anyway, I hope Eduardo makes a good recovery. It was sickening injury.
    Addict wrote: »
    I watched the match live, and I don't think it was malicious challenge at all. Malicious is Eboue, Gallas, Flamini and Traore last week. Not this.

Personally I'd say malicious is going out in a deliberate attempt to try and physically hurt an opponent in a pre-meditated attack then write about it in your book, no?

Now that was a deliberate attempt to cripple somebody.

If anyone deserved never to play football again then it was Keane.
    Arsenal got really petty in the that last United - Arse fixture but bar Flamini none of the tackles showed intent to seriously injure but were more like petty cheap shots.

This picture looks like the consequences were intended

3379.jpg

but when i see videos of it i dont think Taylor had any intent.
    The actual photos of the leg breaking are horrific :(
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Personally I'd say malicious is going out in a deliberate attempt to try and physically hurt an opponent in a pre-meditated attack then write about it in your book, no?

Now that was a deliberate attempt to cripple somebody.

If anyone deserved never to play football again then it was Keane.

YAWN.

What has Keane's challenge got to do with Wenger being a hypocrite? I'm not arguing Keane wasn't malicious.

Wenger was quite happy to let his team attempt to cripple Man United players last week, but now it's happened to one of his own he's calling for life bans.

He's a myopic fool, and he should apologise. He's out of order with these comments.
    The actual photos of the leg breaking are horrific :(

Yep. Even that image above makes me wince. Take it down minimi. :yuck:
    Just said on MOTD that Wenger has released a statement retracting his earlier statement. Fair enough then.
    Fair do. It's perfectly understandable he said something he didn't really mean in the heat of the moment.

Now the question is, should the extent of injuries caused by a foul be reflected in the punishment handed out? I'm my opinion it should, even if the foul in question is no worse in any way to another that happens to cause no injury. I don't know how severe the ban should be, but the standard 3-match ban does not seem right.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Now the question is, should the extent of injuries caused by a foul be reflected in the punishment handed out? I'm my opinion it should, even if the foul in question is no worse in any way to another that happens to cause no injury. I don't know how severe the ban should be, but the standard 3-match ban does not seem right.

Without wanting to bang on about the Keane tackle, the minute the FA wussed out of giving a proper, Cantona style ban for the tackle and his subsequent actions then dangerous tackles have always been seen as "one of those things".

It was just a matter of time before somebody got injured like this again, could have been the Eboue tackle last week or anything else. Every team has had one of their own players do it at one point or another.

Longer bans I suppose?
    That was quite a nasty injury, cant even begin to imagine how much that would hurt. If it was intetionally inflicted i do not know, but if it was he should go to prison for it!
    The fact that Wenger's comments have detracted from Gallas' petulance seems to have gone unnoticed. Coincidence?
    The fact that Wenger's comments have detracted from Gallas' petulance seems to have gone unnoticed. Coincidence?

That's right, Wenger went on camera afterwards and pretended to be angry about the tackle and concerned for his players wellbeing, then went to the trouble of retracting his statement - just to take the heat off Gallas for a while.

I know you're extremely anti-Arsenal but I don't think you can really take a cheap shot at Wenger over this, it's 100% understandable why he said what he said in the heat of the moment and respect is due for holding his hands up afterwards. Certain other managers take note.

The Gallas petulance was probably the third biggest thing to come out of that match after the result and the injury. Surely we can put petty rivalries aside for one day and wish one of the good guys a speedy recovery instead of inventing consipracy theories?
    Take it down minimi. :yuck:

No.

I might if you didn't compare Arse's cheapshots to that.

Or if you say please.
    Fuck off, it's naff all to do with Arsenal and more to do with media tactics which the like of Wenger and Ferguson use when they want to protect their players.

If you want petty rivalry comments then look at Addict's. I have made no mention of Wnger's myopic view of the world, not comment about him need to check his glassess prescription because it seems to have a blind spot for kicking nani off the ball and waste high challenges from Eboue.

What Gallas did was piss poor TBH and Wenger consoled him at the end of the game - he should be balling him out for not showing the kind of leadership which Arsenal needed today after the horrific injury (similar I note to Smith's and he hasn't been the same player afterwards so all sympathy to Eduado)... sure the challenge was clumsy, sure the injury is a bad one. But Wenger has a habit of coming out with "emtotional" statement like this to detract from the fact that his team have had a bad result/bad run/bad behaviour and the press swallow it every time.
    Well I for one would forgive Gallas for today - seeing your teammate get his leg smashed and lose a last minute penalty against 10 men probably counts as a bad day at the office.

Still not buying Wenger covering up for Gallas though, like I say he's got far more important things to worry about.

Perhaps they weren't the actions of a captain, but Wenger is a successful enough manager for us not to question his man-management style, especially as we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. A comforting hug can be just as effective as a hairdryer, dontcha know? ;)
    sure the challenge was clumsy, sure the injury is a bad one. But Wenger has a habit of coming out with "emtotional" statement like this to detract from the fact that his team have had a bad result/bad run/bad behaviour and the press swallow it every time.
    Maybe so. But then every other time he might have done that he had not seen one of his players being hurried off to a hospital for emergency surgery with a bone sticking out of his ankle.

Christ. Cut the man some slack on this ocassion ffs. Not even the world's biggest cunt would think of playing media games if something so horrific happened. I can't really believe you could think otherwise.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7261153.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says his initial comments that Birmingham captain Martin Taylor "should never play football again" were "excessive".
    The Injury - Well obviously I'm gutted, nothing compared to how Eduardo and the Arsenal team must be feeling though.

It would be optimistic to say he'll be playing at the start of 09/10. Knowing something about anatomy, the compound fractures look more dramatic but it's the injuries to the tendons, nerves and blood vessels that will determine if he plays again.

The tackle - I honestly can't decide if he meant it or not. The force must've been above and beyond that needed to take the ball. I'm not saying he well out to injure him but certainly to "let him know he's there". I've been waiting for this to happen to a big-four player, there have been several tackles on Arsenal players this season (and past seasons) that could've resulted in a similar injury, Mark Noble on Hleb and Heskey on Walcott come to mind, I'd include Flamini's tackle on Nani last week in that as well before certain posters pick up on it.

Taylor's Punishment - Depends on what the FA make of the footage. IMHO whether it look's bad in slow motion or full speed is irrelevant, a bad tackle's a bad tackle full stop. I wouldn't expect a ban beyond 6 games though.

Wenger's Comments - Sky were looking for that and it's pissed me off no end. Once Eduardo was injured I guessed what Wenger would say, almost word for word. He simply shouldn't have been interviewed or offered no comment. Retracting the comment's won't matter as I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of it if/when Arsenal bow out of the title race regardless.

Gallas - Another thing we'll be seeing plenty of on "Premiership Years". I'm glad he merely brooded on the pitch that do anything untoward in the tunnel tbh . I'm not pleased with his reaction but given the context I can understand it and forgive it. He should count himself fortunate, Ferguson would've shown him the door.

Yep, especially as Wenger criticised Gallas in the same press conference.

You and Addict really do prove that all Man Utd fans are fucking idiots. It's pathetic, lapping up Ferguson's whingeing and pretending its true.

For all that Ferguson was whingeing about "dirty Arsenal" (Eboue is a dirty fuck, but lets face it, Nani was asking for a kicking by taking the piss) he never quite got around to condemning Cantona or Keane. And Bruce and Pallister were both as dirty as Gallas, as was Irwin. Cantona attacked a fan and got a tiny ban, with loads of club support, and Keane ended a player's career deliberately and got no ban at all, but still got loads of club support. And that's before we get onto the proven drug cheat who's acting club captain at the minute.

If we want to talk about hypocrisy lets start talking about Ferguson and his team of thugs.

This seems to be happening to Arsenal a lot this season. I don't think Taylor meant it but there have been worse incidents, like Noble (who didn't even get a yellow) on Hleb.

Well done to Man Utd for giving Newcastle a lesson in football. It was a joy to watch. You do have the best team in the league by miles and should win the title by ten points really.
    Kermit wrote: »
    You and Addict really do prove that all Man Utd fans are fucking idiots. It's pathetic, lapping up Ferguson's whingeing and pretending its true.

Erm... I mentioned Wenger and Fergie in the same breath, they are as bad as each other.
    That I would agree with. Wenger's myopia is a joke and Ferguson's gin-addled rants are a disgrace to the game. All the top teams seem to rely on players rolling around like they've been shot, although Man Utd are by far and away the worst team in the league for diving. The physical embodiment of Ferguson's sporting tendencies, after all.

Watching the Newcastle - Man Utd game, and the pathetic rolling around by both sets of players but especially Nani and Ronaldo, reminds me why I rarely bother with football anymore. I'd rather watch rugby league which tends to be played sportingly by sportsmen (except St Helens, who are the Man Utd of rugby).

Won't be long before the Premiershit disappears up its own arse. I can't wait.
    If we want to talk about hypocrisy lets start talking about Ferguson and his team of thugs.

Hold on a second. I never heard Fergie coming out asking for life-bans though. Noone's denying that Fergie's had some dirty players (so why keep bringing it up) but at least he never came out asking for life-bans if the opposite team commited a dirty challenge on his players. That's why Wenger was a hypocrite and that's what I took issue with.

Keane ended a player's career deliberately and got no ban at all

Keane didn't end Haaland's career. Haaland retired because of an inury to his other knee. But don't let that get in the way of a good bit of anti Man United hyperbole - your speciality.

Please also remind at which point in the match yesterday Ronaldo was diving or rolling around the floor? I watched 90 minutes and either I'm suffering from Wengeritis or it didn't happen. I know Nani was rolling around but he'll grow out of it in time, just like Ronaldo.
    Hold on a second. I never heard Fergie coming out asking for life-bans though. Noone's denying that Fergie's had some dirty players (so why keep bringing it up) but at least he never came out asking for life-bans if the opposite team commited a dirty challenge on his players.

I don't think anyones denied Arsenal have dirty players either?

Again, heat of the moment stuff from Wenger which he later retracted on the same day - surely understandable giving the circumstances.

It's an entirely human reaction, I know you pair don't like Wenger (and MoK I'll look forward to your scathing critcism of Fergie next time) but let's move on...
    I don't think anyones denied Arsenal have dirty players either?

Again, heat of the moment stuff from Wenger which he later retracted on the same day - surely understandable giving the circumstances.

Yes, and at the time I made my original post he hadn't retracted his comments so he looked like a massive hypocrite. That was my only point - Wenger was being a hypocrite and he should apologise. He did, so I've got no issue anymore.
    Hold on a second. I never heard Fergie coming out asking for life-bans though.

No, but every fucking week the whingeing weegie is out saying that Arsenal have bought the FA and that the FA are harsh on his players.

Presumably the harshness includes the soft bans on a player who attacked a fan, the club captain who set out to maim another player, and a convicted drug cheat.
    Keane didn't end Haaland's career. Haaland retired because of an inury to his other knee. But don't let that get in the way of a good bit of anti Man United hyperbole - your speciality.

Hmm, well that's all OK then!

Clearly Keane was just "clumsy" and didn't really mean to do it and then shout "take that you cunt" afterwards.

It was a combination of both knees but either way Manchester City lost the services of their midfielder because of a thug that Ferguson reckoned was good enough to be club captain.

I've not once heard you condemn Keane for what he did and you're still making excuses up for him. You're an absolute joke, mate. No wonder you're a Man Utd fan.
    No, but every fucking week the whingeing weegie is out saying that Arsenal have bought the FA and that the FA are harsh on his players.

Presumably the harshness includes the soft bans on a player who attacked a fan, the club captain who set out to maim another player, and a convicted drug cheat.

I'm not gonna defend Keane. As I've said before he was out of order, but you were still using your usual hyperbole to blow things out of proportion, and I don't like unneccesary lies, so I pulled you up on it.

I don't know how you think a 8 month ban and £50,000 fine for Ferdinand is soft, when a similar offence for another player ended up in no ban and a small fine. And 9 months for Cantona plus community service is hardly paltry either. I know he attacked a fan but ffs, the guy was a racist scumbag who racially abused him and his family. Cantona was provoked and he did what you or I would probably do under similar provocation. His ban was fair, not soft.

I've not once heard you condemn Keane for what he did and you're still making excuses up for him. You're an absolute joke, mate. No wonder you're a Man Utd fan.

LOL. You're the joke mate.

This is just like the thread when we were discussing Thatcher's fore-arm smash on Pedro Mendes. We were trying to have a regular discussion about the incident and you waded in with your usual bitter anti-Man United tirade, derailing the whole thread. As usual.

I said umpteen times in that thread that Keane was out of order. What more condemnation do you need? Do you want me to write Keane a letter and personally tell him that he was out of order?

What a joke. I reckon we could be having a discussion on here about who's going to get promotion from the conference, and you'd still find a way to twist it into a rant against Fergie or Man United.
    Go back and read the thread and see who mentioned the words Manchester and United first...

HINT: It was the third post and by posted by someone called Addict.
    Haha love how this has ended up as another verbal bashing of both teams.

Hope Eduardo recovers well and gets back to playing soon.
    Go back and read the thread and see who mentioned the words Manchester and United first...

HINT: It was the third post and by posted by someone called Addict.

The thread was about Wenger being hypocritical (as mentioned in Alladin's first post), and that was a perfect recent example of his hypocrisy.

You were the one who turned it into an anti-Man United rant, as usual.

And you were the one who also turned it into an anti-Man United rant in the Pedro Mendes thread.

I honestly don't know how you manage to function with all that pent up resentment and bitterness towards anything and everything you take a dislike to. You'll give yourself a hernia someday!