Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is My Mum Being Unreasonable?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I live in Plymouth. Can't do a paper round, as it's not that safe for me to be out by myself and have been advised against riding a bike.
    Don't you have glasses or something if you're partially sighted?
    Melian wrote: »
    I live in Plymouth. Can't do a paper round, as it's not that safe for me to be out by myself and have been advised against riding a bike.

No prob, I used to do mine walking but I guess if it isn't safe to be out... :confused: I've got some mates who are in Plymouth, I didn't realise it was so rough. So I presume you would need an indoor job where you don't have to drive to?

See if the hospital are looking for cleaning staff? That tends to be part time work as well so you could still do volunteering.
    Yes I do. However, because it's more complicated than that (my eyes move involuntary. The only way to stop this is to tilt my head, which causes neck pain) they don't really solve anything.

Then just volunteer and stop moaning. You sister is studying and she works - I applaud her for that because it's not easy working and balancing your studying. To be earning £100 she must be work her whole weekend or days in the week. Your mum pays for her phone, so? She's still studying, she's younger than you.

My suggestion is that you either return to those agency's and keep trying instead of constantly giving up and finding an excuse for doing nothing. It's really tiring for parents having to constantly support people who do nothing. I go to uni and have two jobs, my brother works full time, is 4 years older than me and still comes home every week begging money off my rents and draining them of money that as they're getting older, they should have every right to be able to save and spend on themselves for once. Maybe you need to reflect on all the expenses your parents have probably coughed up for the past 19 years of your life and then kick up dust when you won't try and work and earn a wage like they have to.
    If you can't be out on your own because of your sight then how about looking into getting a guide dog? I don't know what the criteria are though - I assume theres a waiting list.
    There's some pretty cryptic responses so far in this thread, to say the least. Leave the girl alone, for crying out loud. She's come here to ask us for help, not to have her personal choices and lifestyle slated.

I sympathise with your situation, to an extent. I think that getting a job is almost certainly a good idea, but given the circumstances, it is not going to be possible for you to do any old job, especially not with your eyesight as it is. I'm struggling to think this second of anything suitable that you could do, but I might contact you by PM later if I can think of some.

As for your wheat intolerance, nothing you can do about that. Mothers have rants every now and then, where they usually mention everything that you've ever done wrong in your life. I know mine does - elephants never forget, and neither do women. :p

University... you gotta do what you gotta do, I suppose. If Bristol is the place where the course you want to study is, then Bristol is where you have to go. I think your mum's concern is your eyesight at the moment. I don't know South-West England terribly well, but if I remember correctly, Plymouth is around two hours from Bristol. If there is anywhere closer to home you can do it, consider it, but if not, do what you gotta do. Contact the university in advance to let them know about your "disability". (I hesitate to use that word, as some people do take issue with it) They could well be very helpful with any queries you've got.
    Guide dogs are generally for the blind and we already have 2 dogs anyway. (neither of which could be used as guide dogs)
    Guide dogs are generally for the blind and we already have 2 dogs anyway. (neither of which could be used as guide dogs)
    Aye. That raises practical difficulties. Training up guide dogs takes a long time and is quite expensive to do.
    I don't see how you can work for free but not for money. Anyway, a phone is a non-esential item, you want one, you pay for one.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Aye. That raises practical difficulties. Training up guide dogs takes a long time and is quite expensive to do.

Isn't the training mostly covered by charity?
    katralla wrote: »
    Anyway, a phone is a non-esential item, you want one, you pay for one.

It is?:confused:
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Isn't the training mostly covered by charity?
    Still costs charities a lot of money. That's the bottom line of it. Hence why, whenever I see charities wanting to raise money for the blind, I always give generously. We only ever get one pair of eyes - treasure them and look after them. You never know when you might lose your vision, as Melian is discovering.

As for a phone being a non-essential item, don't make me laugh.

Why don't you work at a call centre? You could be on the phone all day and pay for your credit with the money you get.

hmmm dont want to come across as mean but i dont think you are explaining the full situation here. is it because you really dont want to work?

i've worked at places in the past with people who have more severe disabilities than yourself, in fact a collegue of mine used to share a office with a bloke with no legs, yet he could still get a job.

there are places out there geared towards getting people like you into jobs, if its not safe to be out on your own, how are you going to manage being away from home at university? how will you deal with that?

i agree with the fact that a phone is a non-essential item, i paid for my own phone and credit even when at high school, at college i paid for everything myself even tho i lived at home.

would you take a job if you could get one?

Yes it fucking well is!

are you serious?? its not something id be spending money on if i had no income. a mobile phone is NOT a essential pal.
    Still costs charities a lot of money. That's the bottom line of it. Hence why, whenever I see charities wanting to raise money for the blind, I always give generously. We only ever get one pair of eyes - treasure them and look after them. You never know when you might lose your vision, as Melian is discovering.

Not the persons fault though is it? It's about giving a person their independance which melian doesn't seem to have much of as she can't go out alone.
    hmmm dont want to come across as mean but i dont think you are explaining the full situation here.
    Hey, if the girl doesn't want to tell us the full SP on a public message board, we've gotta respect that. Bear in mind that pretty much anyone can read what we write on here.
    are you serious?? its not something id be spending money on if i had no income. a mobile phone is NOT a essential pal.
    Could you survive without your mobile phone for one week? Answer me that.
    also, i see you are pretty handy at using a computer, could you not do some data entry, its not bad pay, and theres usually plenty going about
    is it because you really dont want to work?

No.
    i've worked at places in the past with people who have more severe disabilities than yourself, in fact a collegue of mine used to share a office with a bloke with no legs, yet he could still get a job.

Having no legs is totally different to having less than half my sight left and being in constant pain.
    how are you going to manage being away from home at university? how will you deal with that?

Because I'll be with other people.
    would you take a job if you could get one?

Yes.

My thoughts exactly.
    Could you survive without your mobile phone for one week? Answer me that.

well i have a landline and a works phone, but even if i didnt, and had no income i can tell you now i wouldnt be spending £10 on phone credit.

deffo.
    Because I'll be with other people.

other people who's responsibility it is to look after you? do you get a carer?

cos i tell you now, if i was stuck with someone at uni without choice that i had to help get about, i wouldnt be happy about it.
    well i have a landline and a works phone, but even if i didnt, and had no income i can tell you now i wouldnt be spending £10 on phone credit. deffo.
    Knowing you much of a skinflint you are, I'm not surprised. :p
    Valid point. Might be worth contacting the authorities about this one.
    Melian on a side note if you really are struggling because of your disability there may be some DLA / motability allowance for you from the government to help you get around and pay for things like bus fare and other essentials.

SG - I don't think people are having a go or judging her, it's about challenging the attitude 'its impossible to get a job'. Think about it - you go looking for a job, are you more likely to find one if you go round with an attitude you are going to get a job, or that it's impossible. In the second, you may not even bother because it's a foregone conclusion. I know a lot of friends who've gone without work because they assumed they couldn't get it - you really do need to give them a friendly kick up the backside to get them thinking positively.

At the end of the day, if you just wanted to get some money from home there are some online 'click' or 'survey' things you can do that net you free money - but personally I'd only advise that to supplement an income rather than doing it exclusively (on another forum I frequent, a lady was looking at doing it as she was on JSA but did not want to work, but wanted a bit extra... can't have it both ways).
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Of course a phone is non essential. And before you ask that ridiculous question of 'could you survive without your phone for a week', yes, I could. And regularly do.

If you thought that the job centre and connexions were both useless then I reckon that they told you things that you just didn't want to here. Just get a job and be done with it. You can do so many different things - the impression I get is that you just don't want to.
    I think it's safe to say that I am probably THE most mobile-dependant person on this site pretty much, and even I agree that it's not an essential. If it wasn't for the fact that my mum does pay my contract (not my idea, I hasten to add) I would have no choice but to get rid of it, because I can't afford it.

People have given you loads of ideas of things that you could do for money and you've just shot each one down with no real explanation of why you can't, or won't, do it. There are people with far worse disabilities than you that work, as LuckyStrike said, so why can't you? You're mostly mobile, you have at least some eyesight, so getting a job is NOT impossible unless you live somewhere with 0 access to a town, which living in Plymouth I don't think you can claim as true.
    Knowing you much of a skinflint you are, I'm not surprised. :p

fuck you, thats nothing to do with it. if you had no money, wouldnt having credit on your phone be one of the littlest worries you had, people can still ring you if its urgent.
    thats nothing to do with it. if you had no money, wouldnt having credit on your phone be one of the littlest worries you had, people can still ring you if its urgent.
    True.

No. According to various uni websites, they [the uni] can help with that by putting me in adapted rooms and they can arrange stuff with social services.
    Melian on a side note if you really are struggling because of your disability there may be some DLA / motability allowance for you from the government to help you get around and pay for things like bus fare and other essentials.

I've tried claiming that, but they've somehow decided that I have nothing wrong with me and there's no reason why I should not be able to do stuff that able bodied people my age can do. I don't pay for bus fare, so that's not an issue. (it's changing in April though, which I'm not happy about)