Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pay pubs to let non-customers shit in their bogs

Well, it's a Saturday and all that...

"The desperate dash to find a public loo on Britain's high streets could be eased with a plan to pay businesses to open their toilets to non-customers. Pubs and restaurants across the UK will be encouraged to open their toilets in exchange for as much as £600 a year. The government is expected to urge local councils to adopt the scheme in order to address a national shortage. But the British Toilet Association said the idea is only part of the answer to a problem plaguing the nation."
Click here for details.

It's at times like this that I'm grateful that the BBC exists. Any other news outlet would have filled the report of this story with as many toilet-related puns as possible. I'm also astonished that a body called the British Toilet Association actually exists, but I digress. Anyway, my opinion on this. I have noticed public toilets being neglected and shut down over the years by councils who have other priorities. But I don't see any reason why pubs, who are going through something of a bad period right now, should help out the government like this. What they're being told is "well, we shut down the public toilets, so any chance we can pay you to let them use yours?". If I ran such a pub, I'd tell them exactly where to go.

Is this an innovative way of dealing with the problem, and possibly helping out our struggling pub trade? Or is it just a cheap gimmick which allows councils to hide the fact they've been closing down public bogs?

Over to you, ladies and gentlemen, and no tabloid puns please... :p
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    the British Toilet Association
    My mind has boggled ...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ask yourself why public toilets have been closed down? Its exactly the same reason why train stations no longer have waiting rooms, bus shelters are being taken down and many many others, all caused by the same reason.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Ask yourself why public toilets have been closed down? Its exactly the same reason why train stations no longer have waiting rooms, bus shelters are being taken down and many many others, all caused by the same reason.
    yeah ...people piss in them.
  • Options
    Not only do they exist, but I have accompanied a Minister giving a speech at one of their events (how's that as a claim to fame?)
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options

It's at times like this that I'm grateful that the BBC exists. Any other news outlet would have filled the report of this story with as many toilet-related puns as possible. I'm also astonished that a body called the British Toilet Association actually exists, but I digress. Anyway, my opinion on this. I have noticed public toilets being neglected and shut down over the years by councils who have other priorities. But I don't see any reason why pubs, who are going through something of a bad period right now, should help out the government like this. What they're being told is "well, we shut down the public toilets, so any chance we can pay you to let them use yours?". If I ran such a pub, I'd tell them exactly where to go.

Is this an innovative way of dealing with the problem, and possibly helping out our struggling pub trade? Or is it just a cheap gimmick which allows councils to hide the fact they've been closing down public bogs?

Over to you, ladies and gentlemen, and no tabloid puns please... :p

On a serious note, its a good idea. the pub gets £600 a year for virtually no extra cost and the local authority (ie the taxpayer) can reduce costs

(is the pub trade struggling? it seems to be doing rather well for itself as the only boarded up pubs I see are those where the customers have broken the windows)
  • Options
    mcshitters finally gets paid for it!
  • Options
    Or more accurately piss away from the urinals, set fire to it, graffiti it...............
  • Options
    It may sound silly, but it's a pretty important issue. How many times have you been out for the day, suddenly needed to go for a leak, and find that the public toilets have been closed? Or, more likely, find that there's shit all over the floor and graffiti on the back of the cubicle door saying "£50 for a full-blown, anything goes fuck, call Lardy Linda on 079..."?
    On a serious note, its a good idea. the pub gets £600 a year for virtually no extra cost and the local authority (ie the taxpayer) can reduce costs
    It sounds a good idea. However, I can see pubs putting up resistance to this. Firstly, the more people that use the toilets, the more often they will have to be cleaned. That means more cleaning materials will be needed, and it may push up staffing costs. So, that £600 might not actually go very far.
    (is the pub trade struggling? it seems to be doing rather well for itself as the only boarded up pubs I see are those where the customers have broken the windows)
    Well, pubs aren't going out of business on a huge scale or anything. It's just that several pubs have been saying their profits are down in the last year or so. They're citing factors such as new gambling laws, the fact you can't smoke in pubs anymore, people spending more on mortgages and so on...
  • Options
    However, I can see pubs putting up resistance to this. Firstly, the more people that use the toilets, the more often they will have to be cleaned. That means more cleaning materials will be needed, and it may push up staffing costs. So, that £600 might not actually go very far.

I dont think many pubs will use more than £600 a year exra, especially considering most of the stuff they use (bleach, bog roll etc) will be bulk purchased.

If you go on the basis of 20p a go (which is what you'd probably pay in a railway station) £600 equates to an extra 3000 'visits' a year.
  • Options
    Surely only members of the british toilet association care?
    Can i now expect the monthly magazine from the british toilet association to appear on i've got news for you?
    Is it like free masonry?
    Can anyone join?
    What are the benefits?
    All these questions going through my mind.
    Do members get discounts?
  • Options
    Membership, as an indiviudal, will cost you about £40. Take a look at their website for more answers. Apparently, "Britain's public toilets were once the envy of the world". You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Membership, as an indiviudal, will cost you about £40. Take a look at their website for more answers. Apparently, "Britain's public toilets were once the envy of the world". You couldn't make it up.

thanx for the link but i daren''t look ...or my friends might think i'm planning on going cottaging ...heaven forbid that such a thing could happen to me!
  • Options
    thanx for the link but i daren''t look ...or my friends might think i'm planning on going cottaging ...heaven forbid that such a thing could happen to me!
    I think you've just unintentionally stumbled across another reason why councils are shutting down public toilets. I doubt local authorities want the kind of publicity that cottaging would bring them in the newspapers.
  • Options
    Iceland has no public toilets that I know of. I don't think anyone really cares. Is it really a big deal not to have them?
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Iceland has no public toilets that I know of. I don't think anyone really cares. Is it really a big deal not to have them?
    When your busting for a dump it is.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Well, if you're out in public over in Iceland, and you suddenly need to a piss, where do you go? What are people supposed to do - pee in the nearest bin or something?
  • Options
    Well theres many pubs under going financial difficulties at the moment.
  • Options
    I already find the nearest pub/restaurant/cafe when I need the loo and I'm out.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »

Immigration!
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    Reykjavik does somewhere with a massive glass ball ontop lol only remember because our tour guide tried to poison us outside them with dried yellow yukkie fish and butter :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: lol

yea don't see a problem there aren't hardly any around our way anymore anyway

They're old water tanks and it's a tourist place today. :) Using the toilets there is similar to going to the loo in shopping malls. The government isn't funding the maintenance of those.

You ask around or go where you know they are, I've never had trouble when I'm out and about. Haven't heard anyone complain about it either.
  • Options
    drachir wrote: »
    Immigration!
    Nah, Privatisation!

:p
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Well theres many pubs under going financial difficulties at the moment.
    Cash in on the poo pound!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I already find the nearest pub/restaurant/cafe when I need the loo and I'm out.

yeah me too and its nearly always fine.
    i doubt many would turn down an extra 600 quid for something they already do.
  • Options
    If you ask permission they almost never say no.
  • Options
    I've never known a place say no when I've asked.
  • Options
    In a lot of other countries you always have to pay to use the loo. Here in Poland it can be as much as 45p a pee! Which is pretty annoying.

Public toilets are a necessity, especially for older people, pregnant women, and others with certain conditions.
  • Options
    To be fair most people use a pub's bogs anyway, nothing you can do to stop it really, might as well pay the landlord.
  • Options
    There is a japanese cafe near me with a sign that says:
    Toilets are for customers only.
    Or small children.
    Or really desperate people.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Public toilets are a necessity, especially for older people, pregnant women, and others with certain conditions.

Exactly.

Wasn't too happy that I had to pay 20p in Paddington station to o to the toilet.