Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

council tax (again)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have just got a court summons for council tax. I don't understand why coz i'm a student, have filled in all the right forms and have had my certificate sent back. my other housemate who is liable hasn't got one. why am i being taken to court?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If your housemate is liable to pay council tax then it could simply be that they don't know his name so they send the liability addressed to you.

Go to the council, explain what's happened and provide them with the information that they need.

Your housemate will need to arrange to make payments or else he will have a liability order granted against him. Liability orders, as GWST says, allow the council to take other enforcement to recover the debt. They can use bailiffs (which is most common) but they can use other methods, such as a direct attachment of earnings from his wages. It's in his interests to get it sorted out because if a liability order is granted court costs are added too.
    ok, thankyou :)
    Having just finally sorted my Council Tax out (Student related problems too) I know just how you feel. First they charged me £600, then £800, then 2 bills came, one for £0 and one for £400, was crazy eventually I called up one last time and told some poor lady on the phone what had been happening, she was very apologetic, and fortunately since then I received only one bill for £0. Call up or walk in is my advice, and remain calm with them, if you get angry it will only make things worse.

If they still claim you should be paying, speak to your University, they will have dealt with similar situations many times I am sure, and will have a contact in the council whom which they can sort things out much quicker.

Hope that helped a little, if it isn't already all sorted.

Good luck.