Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Castro steps down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this.

If nothing else, his regime gave us the best t-shirt design of the 20th century. :p

26572~Che-Guevara-Posters.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this.

If nothing else, his regime gave us the best t-shirt design of the 20th century. :p

26572~Che-Guevara-Posters.jpg

Worn by so many rockers and indie kids who have no idea what it represents! :D

Love it.
    Namaste wrote: »

Love it.

While hanging out at the Student Unions Nelson Mandela bar :lol:
    BlackArab wrote: »
    While hanging out at the Student Unions Nelson Mandela bar :lol:

Handing out 'Free Palestine' badges and 'peace' scarfs.

Cuba probably won't be blossoming into a liberal democracy anytime soon, but it's a start anyhow.
    maybe now we can have castro tshirts or does he have to be dead before thats allowed?
    Namaste wrote: »

Love it.

The romanticism of the man who ran the firing squads...
    rect-checap-pd.jpg

:D
    Let's see... this is the man who almost brought about nuclear war. Cast your mind back to 1962. He allowed the USSR to place nuclear missiles in Cuba, a clear act of provocation. He even wrote personally to Nicholas Khrushchev urging him to launch a nuclear first strike against the United States if Cuba were invaded. And his human rights record is atrocious. Around 50,000 people were killed by his regime, and those are just the ones we know about!

It would be too charitable to suggest you've all forgotten about Castro's history, so I'll simply assume that you're standing up for one of your fellow comrades, as usual.
    Jumping to conclusions again Stargalaxy? :rolleyes:
    Jumping to conclusions again Stargalaxy? :rolleyes:
    *yawn*

Well, let me put it this way. If this was 1945 and there was a thread on this board saying Hitler had been killed, with responses such as "aww, he was an awfully nice man, it's a shame that he's gone", Jim V would have deleted the thread and banned the person who started it within two seconds. If Castro was a fascist dictator, you'd all be the first to condemn him. And rightly so. But because some of you sympathise with what he believes in, you do nothing of the kind.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Let's see... this is the man who almost brought about nuclear war. Cast your mind back to 1962. He allowed the USSR to place nuclear missiles in Cuba, a clear act of provocation. He even wrote personally to Nicholas Khrushchev urging him to launch a nuclear first strike against the United States if Cuba were invaded.
    Oh dear...

You might want to have a look at the actions (and indeed missile sites) of both the US and USSR throughout the Cold War. There were many instances of near nuclear conflict, but believe you me, Cuba is not to blame for any of them.
    It would be too charitable to suggest you've all forgotten about Castro's history, so I'll simply assume that you're standing up for one of your fellow comrades, as usual.
    I'm not sure to whom that is directed at. Has anyone here stood up for Castro? :confused:
    *yawn*

Well, let me put it this way. If this was 1945 and there was a thread on this board saying Hitler had been killed, with responses such as "aww, he was an awfully nice man, it's a shame that he's gone", Jim V would have deleted the thread and banned the person who started it within two seconds. If Castro was a fascist dictator, you'd all be the first to condemn him. And rightly so. But because some of you sympathise with what he believes in, you do nothing of the kind.

More assumptions you've just pulled out of your arse I presume? No-one on this thread has even mentioned the politics of Castro yet, we've been talking about a t-shirt.

If you want my opinion on Castro, I think he is a twat, like all dictators. The only thing he was good for was highlighting the hypocracy of the United States, but then what else is new?
    Doesn't make much difference, and that difference it makes is for the worse.

Given that Raul was told by his brother to cut down on the firing squads (and Castro himself has never been averse to lining his opponents in front of the wall) I don't think Cuba is now in for a new dawn of civil rights and liberty.

The only good thing is that critics of communism can't claim they don't stand for family values and tradition - at least the Bushes and Clinton bother to go through the hassle of elections before making family members el Presidente
    The only thing he was good for was highlighting the hypocracy of the United States, but then what else is new?

Not the only hypocrisy he highlights ;)
    The romanticism of the man who ran the firing squads...

Always nice to see another cynic ;)
    *yawn*

you back on the crack pipe again?
    don't deny it ...only someone on something very strong could see the things your seeing star ...
    you back on the crack pipe again?
    don't deny it ...only someone on something very strong could see the things your seeing star ...
    Bit of a strange statement coming from a former drug addict.
    Bit of a strange statement coming from a former drug addict.

Whaaaaaaa?
    Whaaaaaaa?
    You know what I meant.

It was one of my predictions for what would happen in this thread. As it happens, it hasn't come true. Ah well - win some, lose some.