Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Debit cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hate them! I've never had one before (except ones linked to bank accounts which are alright) but I know how awful they are. The credit card debit cards, the ones that have a certian amount already on it, much like a gift card. I remember working at a store and when you get down you have to remember exactly how much is on there else it won't go thru if you are over. And inevitably you end up with a few bucks left over that you just can't seem to spend and thus wasted. They seemed like the stupidest things ever. And now my school decided instead of sending you a refund check they would send you your refund on one of those. How lame :\ And they'll charge you to send you a check instead. Even lamer.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Normally I'd expect to be able to use everything that's on the card, and then if that doesn't cover the cost pay the rest in cash.
    Is this like the new gifts cards we have now? I've had them for boots and h+m and I've been able to use whats on the card and then top up the rest with cash if it goes over
    You have to know exactly how much is on it though as they have to type in the amount you want to use on the card in the cash register. So if your over by a penny you get the shaft.

It was awful working with them.
    Try $20
    denied
    Try $19
    denied
    Try $18
    denied
    Try $17.50
    denied
    Try $17.49 and so on and so on only to realize they only had $3 left so you swiped it about 1000 times as they'd just never give up. I'd give up before all the cash was gone. I'm not one for keeping receipts to remember.

Yawn!
    pre=paid credit cards? we have those... never used one but a friend who has atrocious credit has found it useful as some things are better/easier paid by credit card.
    I know the ones the OP means, cards like you get in Debenhams which have now replaced paper gift vouchers ("oh sorry, we don't give change in vouchers anymore.") They always try to fob me off with giving change on a plastic card, so you end up having a nominal amount sitting on it, then you lose the card or something and in effect waste the change. Bit of a con, I always insist on getting change from paper gift vouchers in notes/coins lol :yeees:
    There must be a reason why the school have started their new system. Your school no doubt have a School Council, or Student Feedback Forum etc. Try raising the issue with them, or becoming a member yourself. It looks great on a CV in the future and also lets you voice your concerns. If nobody lets the school know it isn't working, they will never know.
    ...what do you think a debit card is? :confused:
    If it's a gift card then surely there must be a way to check the balance. My work has a balance enquiry option on the system for giftcards.