Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

O2 the bastards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Finally got through to O2 yesterday because 3 months into my contract my SE K850i's touch screen has broke :banghead:

They said they would email with an address and code which to include when I had to return my phone. Then it would take up to a week for my new one to arrive.

Hmm suprise suprise today no email (not in 'junk' either).

I'm mad as hell that I have to pay 4 weeks on contract with max use of 3.

(No I cant put my sim into another phone because I dont have one!)

Anyone had any experience of this kind of thing?

When my bf's phone broke with orange they arranged next day delivery of a new one with him giving them back the faulty one at the same time!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When my old phone on 02 broke I just took it into the shop, I never needed a code or anything :no:
    Maybe just go into the shop and complain and kick up a fuss that generally gets them moving ;) . Or maybe phone customer services and see what they say, although at times they can be neither use nor ornament :rolleyes:

Sorry not much help, but I would go into the shop and complain. You're paying for something that you're not using!
    Hey kate- I think I can help :)

On 24/02/07 I got an automatic email that I'd sent them an RMA request
    On 25/02/07 I got an e-mail:
    We are sorry that you have the need to return your O2 order for repair. Please find below the address to return your handset back to O2. To avoid any complications caused by phones going missing in transit, we do recommend that you use the Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery options provided by Royal Mail.

Returns Authorisation Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Freepost RLZT-ZTYJ-CZRS
    Zone B
    Normanton
    WF6 1TF

Once we receive your faulty handset back at the distribution centre we will dispatch your replacement handset and this will be delivered by Royal Mail the following day. Don?t worry if you are not at home as this will be posted through your letterbox. You will receive an email from O2 confirming that your replacement handset has been dispatched.

I rang them up the next day to inquire whether they wanted the charger and/or battery - and they said just the handset/battery. As soon as they received my phone they sent me a brand new one (oh yea, keep your sim) Royal Mail Special Delivery. Most painless RMA procedure I've ever had actually.

I found their retentions really rude though, actually called me stupid :p. But I complained and got a really arse-kissing reply saying sorry some staff let the company down sometimes lol.
    Don't just go and send it to the address ShyBoy sent it to, you need to wait till they email you with the unique RAN (Returns Authoristion Number) which you put on the front of the parcel (this ties it to your o2 account).

The quickest way to do it is to send it recorded delivery, you'll get a slip with a reference number. Put this in the Royal Mail wesbite the day or the day after you send it, if it's been received then call us up we can match the reference number and get the handset dispatched off same day.

The process has just last week changed actually, you can deal with us at Customer Services instead of needing to get xfered through to retuns and wait in the queue till the lazy bastards stop having pointless meetings.

If you ask nicely then we'll refund you for the amount of time that you don't have your phone for. If you act like a dick and start ranting and raving then you won't.

You're better asking for it once you've got your phone back so you now exactly how long you've been without a phone, no point getting stressed about it because that'll help no-one.
    I have just waited 21 days for O2 to send me a replacement phone after my handset touch buttons went faulty.

Boy did they feel my wrath!!!
    The K850i doesn't have a touch screen... that might be the problem.

edit: Oh, there's 3 buttons. Carry on.
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    I have just waited 21 days for O2 to send me a replacement phone after my handset touch buttons went faulty.

Boy did they feel my wrath!!!

The returns department are lazy bastards (it was outsourced to a place in Liverpool), which is why the process has been changed.

Follow my recorded delivery process above and it's 99% you'll get it within five working days.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    The returns department are lazy bastards (it was outsourced to a place in Liverpool), which is why the process has been changed.

Follow my recorded delivery process above and it's 99% you'll get it within five working days.

I did near spot on what you have described to do and it still took that long. I was told by about 5 different people over the three weeks that it they would dispatch it that day. grrr!!!

I will give customer services a call and fingers crossed they may be able to do something money wise about me not being able to use my phone for that long.
    If you ask nicely then we'll refund you for the amount of time that you don't have your phone for. If you act like a dick and start ranting and raving then you won't.

And why exactly should I have to suck up to the (generally no offence) retards that I get to deal with me in order to get a refund?

It turns out I havent got my email yet because the tosser I spoke to yesterday sent it to an O2 email address I barely knew I had after he asked me which address I wanted it sending it to, to which I replied my personal one(and gave him it!) :banghead:

However after giving the women hell today I have recieved this email 'We're happy to tell you that your replacement O2 order has been passed to our warehouse for dispatch. This should be on its way to you very soon.' Does this mean they are no longer waiting for me to send my phone back first?
    kate- wrote: »
    And why exactly should I have to suck up to the (generally no offence) retards that I get to deal with me in order to get a refund?

If a customer comes on and is calm, explains what the script is then I think I'm generally quite understanding and sympathetic and I'll probably do more for them. Even if they seem quite pissed off, the ones who can tell we're only doing a job and who don't act like we're something they scraped off the bottom of their shoe (unlike yourself) are more likely to get their own way.

Whereas if they come on with an attitude, spoiling for a fight then it causes so much more stress all around and I always leave notes on the account saying that their attitude was off from the start.

If this one week of line rental you're getting yourself in a tizz about works out at £7.50 then if you're an arse on the phone then you'll get £7.50, whereas if you were alright and seemed polite and stuff then I'd probably round it up to a tenner.
    However after giving the women hell today I have recieved this email 'We're happy to tell you that your replacement O2 order has been passed to our warehouse for dispatch. This should be on its way to you very soon.' Does this mean they are no longer waiting for me to send my phone back first?

Probably.
    If a customer comes on and is calm, explains what the script is then I think I'm generally quite understanding and sympathetic and I'll probably do more for them. Even if they seem quite pissed off, the ones who can tell we're only doing a job and who don't act like we're something they scraped off the bottom of their shoe (unlike yourself) are more likely to get their own way.

Whereas if they come on with an attitude, spoiling for a fight then it causes so much more stress all around and I always leave notes on the account saying that their attitude was off from the start.

If this one week of line rental you're getting yourself in a tizz about works out at £7.50 then if you're an arse on the phone then you'll get £7.50, whereas if you were alright and seemed polite and stuff then I'd probably round it up to a tenner.

I understand you lot are only doing your job and maybe I am just unfortunate and get morons who mess everything up and delay it further. Also for the record I dont come on the phone with an 'attitude, spoiling for a fight' I talk through the situation calmly and politely but it doesnt get me anywhere.

It isnt the fact that its £7.50 for example its the inconvenience I have of not having a phone for God knows how long because a select few cant do what they get paid for.

I find it absurd this little power rush you obviouly get from denying people your £7.50.

That's really weird, last year I sent it on dax 1, they received day 2, I received brand new in box handset day 3 - they hadn't even checked if mine was faulty.

Just goes to show as with anything most of what you get comes down to luck :). But you're right - courtesy goes a long way towards making your own luck ;).
    It isnt the fact that its £7.50 for example its the inconvenience I have of not having a phone for God knows how long because a select few cant do what they get paid for.

We didn't break your phone, did we?

Granted the advisor you spoke to took the wrong email address, but this would have caused a delay of 24hrs absolute maximum.

Do you want a new phone delivered next day in a golden carriage or something before you even send the faulty one back?
    I find it absurd this little power rush you obviouly get from denying people your £7.50.

Point out where I said I'd deny anybody their line rental - if you act like a dick then you'll get back the line rental you were owed and no more, if you're alright about it and speak to me like a human then I'll round it up to a tenner.

Granted the advisor you spoke to took the wrong email address, but this would have caused a delay of 24hrs absolute maximum.

Do you want a new phone delivered next day in a golden carriage or something before you even send the faulty one back?

Point out where I said I'd deny anybody their line rental - if you act like a dick then you'll get back the line rental you were owed and no more, if you're alright about it and speak to me like a human then I'll round it up to a tenner.

:yes: Same when I worked for a bank and charged people's accounts for going over their limit. Since most people call up for a refund anyway sometimes we just don't bother charging, especially if they're nice people. Twats who are rude can find a very speedy £30 deduction from their account. Whether it's right or not is up for the courts, I wasn't doing them a disservice - just the nice ones you feel sorry for and so bend the rules a bit.

I've got relatively experienced with 'corporate relations' since I have to faff about with sponsors for our society at uni, and inariably no matter what level of the company you're talking to - politeness often gets you miles further than anything else. People at the end of the phone are just people, and do have some power. One time I saved a guy £4k because he'd fucked up. It took me 3 weeks of phone calls every single day to several different banks in several different countries (!!!), but I gave him my direct number to the office (that we're not allowed to do) and chased it up for him until we got it back and I made his day.

I'm never going to bother going out of my way like that for someone who starts shouting at me on the phone before I've barely got a word out.

This line here... 'If you ask nicely then we'll refund you for the amount of time that you don't have your phone for. If you act like a dick and start ranting and raving then you won't.'

Orange send new phones out next day delivery and ask you swap over at the time. They even offer a convenient time slot ffs. It's hardly unreasonable to think two competitive comapny's would offer similar service. I'm not saying this is decided by you or your team but adding sarcastic and patronising comments implying I'm being unreasonable hardly supports your point.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I understand you lot are only doing your job and maybe I am just unfortunate and get morons who mess everything up and delay it further. Also for the record I dont come on the phone with an 'attitude, spoiling for a fight' I talk through the situation calmly and politely but it doesnt get me anywhere.

But if you are going to be arsey down the phone at the poor people on the other end who are doing their job, then, in their position, I would make it more inconvenient for you. If you are rude then expect it to be hard work - I wouldn't want to deal with anyone who was rude to me. However, if you are polite about the issues then you are more likely to get assistance.

Whenever I've needed to deal with o2 they have been pleasant to me. Bear in mind it was a few years back. But I was always aware that any issues that I had were not the fault of the people on the end of the phone. And whenever I *did* get annoyed, I always apologised as it wasn't their fault. That goes for anyone on the phone that I have to deal with.
    But if you are going to be arsey down the phone at the poor people on the other end

Where did I say I was being arsey to them?

Yes I'm being arsey about them now but I'm civil and polite to them at the time.
    Where did I say I was being arsey to them?

Yes I'm being arsey about them now but I'm civil and polite to them at the time.

Your general attitude gives the impression of arsey-ness. Comments like these:

and the classic:
    after giving the women hell today

These comments don't exactly give off the vibe that you are being civil and polite to them and don't make me feel sympathetic to your cause.

Orange send new phones out next day delivery and ask you swap over at the time. They even offer a convenient time slot ffs. It's hardly unreasonable to think two competitive comapny's would offer similar service.

Switch contracts then *shrugs*
    This line here... 'If you ask nicely then we'll refund you for the amount of time that you don't have your phone for. If you act like a dick and start ranting and raving then you won't.'

Ok, taxi for Bri-namite :o

For the record, I'd always give it back. But if you're a dick then I'll work out the exact amount you'd get and no more.
    Your general attitude gives the impression of arsey-ness. Comments like these:

and the classic:

These comments don't exactly give off the vibe that you are being civil and polite to them and don't make me feel sympathetic to your cause.

Switch contracts then *shrugs*

Believe me I would if I could.

I'm not asking for sympathy, :rolleyes: the orignal point of this post was to get an idea if anybody had experience with this, how long should I expect to be kept waiting etc not to have to defend myself to people who have no intention of helping me with my OP and generally feel sorry for the poor people at O2 ffs.

Oh and calling the people I got on the phone retards hardly makes me the rudest customer ever :rolleyes:.
    Ok, taxi for Bri-namite :o

For the record, I'd always give it back. But if you're a dick then I'll work out the exact amount you'd get and no more.

Ok thank you for your help.
    Oh and calling the people I got on the phone retards hardly makes me the rudest customer ever :rolleyes:.

Probably not, no. However, my point still stands. Be polite to them and they will do their best to help you. Be an arse, and they won't :thumb:

As for your OP, my experience of o2 is the opposite of yours - they were really good and helped me out immensely when I needed it. I had to switch phones because it was broken and the whole process took less than a week :)
    Hi. I have the exact same problem as the person in the first post (touch sensitive buttons stopped working) but i'm not sure if it was because i dropped the phone or if it just happened by itself. :S How likely is it that I will be charged by o2, and if so how much will I be charged?
    You may not be charged, its a pretty common issue.
    o2

Hope i'm not...where do I write the RP code? and:

RLZT-ZTYJ-CZRS
    ZONE B
    NORMANTON
    WF6 1TF

Is that even an address? I don't want my K850 to get lost...
    Yea, is that the same address as me?

Make sure you use the one provided. Anyway, literally just write it like the format I have above (replace xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with your RP code).

The Post Office works backwards, so they'll see the postcode and send it to sorting and then they'll probably have a special service for o2. I know at least that the banks have special postcodes and you can get away with writing 'The Bank of Scotland' on the front of an envelope :) since all mail goes to the same place. Of course I would recommend you write it as they've given it to you.

Also, if you send recorded or special you get automatic insurance.

You need to contact o2 returns first and wait for them to get back to you with a unique returns authorisation code.
    Got my authorisation code, thank you for your help i'll post what happens when something happens lol..

Orange send new phones out next day delivery and ask you swap over at the time. They even offer a convenient time slot ffs. It's hardly unreasonable to think two competitive comapny's would offer similar service. I'm not saying this is decided by you or your team but adding sarcastic and patronising comments implying I'm being unreasonable hardly supports your point.
    To be fair though, you're with o2 not orange and its up to them how they run their returns. I see what you're saying though.

I'm so glad I'm with orange. I get everything I want. :)

Word.

If a customer is being a dick I would argue over the last penny then make them wait for any refund.

If they are nice and keep in mind I'm trying to help I will put myself out to resolve their problem and give them fair compensation.

Some people think because you work in a call center you're fair game to be spoken to like shit.
    Grrr still no phone a week later :banghead: :(
    Sent my phone on friday by recorded delivery, royalmail said it arrived there on Saturday but o2 still haven't emailed me saying they have sent a new one...they said they would send it within 24 hours of receiving my old one...