Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Broken Phone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys.

This has only been happening recently on and off. Usually when my B/F calls me we're on the phone for a good hour, but recently after about 5 minutes my phone almost stops working. I can't hear a word he's saying and he can't hear me. However sometimes my phone can be fine and them after 20 minutes mess up.

Anyway, I bought it on 10/11/07 from an Orange Shop (Because I like Pay As You Go) and I still have the receipt. If I take it back in the next few days what are the chances of them repairing it/replacing it? Bearing in mind that there's no guarantee that the speaker will be funny at that moment in time?

I REALLY do not want to have to pay out for a new phone when I haven't even dropped this one or anything.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should get 6 months guarantee, so you should be able to get it fixed for free.
    Take it back. You might not be able to show them whats wrong with it, but if you still have the recepit and you've registered the phone with Orange it should still be under warranty.
    Franki wrote: »
    You should get 6 months guarantee, so you should be able to get it fixed for free.

not strictly a guarentee but electrical items are covered by 12 months warranty, however if they send it away for fixing and they say its "water damaged" etc.. they might want to charge you to get it back.

if its not a massively expensive phone they may just swap it there and then.
    Thanks guys, it was only £59.99 but it was a christmas present off my mum :)

Guess I know where I'm going tomorrow
    not strictly a guarentee but electrical items are covered by 12 months warranty, however if they send it away for fixing and they say its "water damaged" etc.. they might want to charge you to get it back.

if its not a massively expensive phone they may just swap it there and then.
    Orange have a policy where they fix any phone for free within 6 months, no matter what the problem/contract/whatever. My phone wasn't covered by any 12 month warranty because I didn't buy the insurance. It broke, annoyingly, just over 6 months after I received it.
    the thing is tho, in most circumstances, orange aint the manufacturer, the 12 months warranty is a manufacturers warranty, try getting in touch with them, they have to at least look at it.

you'll be liable for cost of sending it to them however.

for £59.99 it might not be worth it.

good luck tho
    the thing is tho, in most circumstances, orange aint the manufacturer, the 12 months warranty is a manufacturers warranty, try getting in touch with them, they have to at least look at it.

you'll be liable for cost of sending it to them however.

for £59.99 it might not be worth it.

good luck tho
    See, Orange never told me that. They just told me that to get it fixed I'd have to buy emergency insurance for £30.
    Franki wrote: »
    See, Orange never told me that. They just told me that to get it fixed I'd have to buy emergency insurance for £30.

and thats why phone insurance is up there as one of the biggest scams going and i refuse to take it, they back people into a corner when they are in a position of being stuck without a phone etc...

scum.
    and thats why phone insurance is up there as one of the biggest scams going and i refuse to take it, they back people into a corner when they are in a position of being stuck without a phone etc...

scum.
    Luckily I wasn't in that position, but I did refuse the insurance. Rich ended up getting my phone fixed for me in December, although it broke way back in May :o. £35 though and the guy left an eyelash under the screen >.<. Oh well, at least I have my phone back :heart:.
    No matter what Orange say it is covered by at elast a 12 month manufacturers warranty. Orange as the retailer who sold the phone have a legal duty to act on behalf of the manufacturer, and either replace the phone and reclaim the cost from them, or send the phone to them on your behalf for repair.
    Unfortunately you can't choose which, if they replace it there and then it's up to them.

Forget about any insurance they may have said you need to get, it's all a load of tosh. You only need insurance to protect against accidental damage or loss/theft. The problem you're describing sounds like a loose connection, if it was water damage you phone wouldn't switch on. I've seen a tiny (I mean full stop size) drop of water completely disable a phone.

(2 years of working for O2 has given me an insight ;))