Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Vegetable curry, advice needed fast please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've volunteered to make curry tonight, and 2 girls are veggie so it's a vegetable curry. I have lots of veg, aubergine, mushrooms, carrots, onions, tinned tomatoes, some coconut milk, various spices, chick peas. Does anyone have any tips?

I'm not quite sure how to actually go about it and I think they are expecting something amazing!

I'm only in the net cafe for a bit so any replies gratefully received!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aubergine, Mushroom, and tinned tomatoes are all great. Be a bit careful with the carrots as they require a little more cooking to get them nice and soft, so chop them thin and make sure they go in early on if you put them in.

Are the chick peas ready to use or do they need soaking? If they're the dry kind you may not have time to soak them before tonight.

You thinking of doing it with a jar of sauce or from scratch? Either way it's pretty straight forward and you've got some nice flavours in that veg.

I've used recipes off here before, they are the from scratch type but pretty straight forward.

The general jist to you cook the various vegetables, then add to some kind of sauce, then finish every thing off in the same pan for about 5 mins. Onion should be finely chopped and fried, and part of the sauce rather than treated as a vegetable.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did one the other night. I fry the onion and garlic till soft (5 mins ish) then add the herbs/spices ( i used pataks tikka masala paste as its mild and tomatoey which i like) fry for another 2 minutes.

Bung in all your prepared veg, COOKED chick peas, tin of tomatoes (chopped), good squeeze to tomato puree and i put sultanas in mine. Give it a good stir, bring up to a steady boil then turn the heat right down, put a lid on it and simmer gently fo 30 minutes. I put chopped apple in 10 minutes before it finishes cooking.