Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

long distance relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What are your love plans? Are you splitting up? Staying together? Struggling to stay together?
I know A LOT of couples who've, because of university, the distance or whatever, have broken up. And it's just very disheartening...

What do you think is the best advice for couples? Stay together?
Or split up to try & enjoy uni life? X
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well are you in a long distance relationship or about to be in one? Are you at or are you going to uni?

In my experience i started uni last september and have stayed with my gf and it has been absolutely fine. But then again we are only an hour away from eachother - her being at liverpool and me being in manchester. So we get to see eachother every weekend. I know of plenty of people who have stayed together over much longer distances. If you love eachother do not break up just for the sake of uni (uni is not exactly how american pie makes out). My gf whos naked in my bed at the moment agrees our relationship has got stronger since being at uni and we started going out this time last year while we still in upper 6th.

All in all just see how things go, they'll probably turn out better than you expect.
    I'm in one...was INCREDIBLY hard in Semester 1, I just missed him like mad.

This second semester is proving just the right amount of distance. I don't miss him so much anymore, and when we get together it's better.

We're 250 miles apart (one way).
    thats good im pleased things have got a lot better for you!!!!
    i am in a relationship and have been for 3 years now i didnt get into uni where i live near bath but did in brighton, the course sounds amazing i really like brighton and think it will be great but he is kinda making it a little hard as although he is pleased he keeps stressing saying i will go off with someone else (a bit of a lack of trust going on!)
    i should probably concentrate on the more important things like saving my ass off to pay off my debts BEFORE i go away!!!!!
    Me and my ex stayed together. Thats probably why we were together for so long. If we'd seen more of each other, I would have probably ended up killing him. I dumped him after my first year.

My friend and her boyfriend split before uni because he "didn't trust himself", but got together again in the easter holidays "because we missed each other soooooo much" :rolleyes: Anyway, long story short, it's been on-off ever since.

If there's a lack of trust, it'll tear the untrusting person up and the relationship will go splat anyway.