Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Premiership Globetrotters

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The English Premier League is considering the idea of staging some matches around the rest of the world.
At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at several different venues, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7232390.stm

For fuck's sake :rolleyes:

This is exactly what's wrong with football today. Greed and money overriding every other consideration.

I'm starting to think that the defunction of Wimbledon FC and the subsequent creation of non-league AFC Wimbledon is the best thing that could have happened to me football-wise. Top flight football is little more than a money-spinning show now. Roll on the cheerleaders and 4 quarters of play.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fucking load of bullshit. They've priced everybody out over here so ship the games out elsewhere :rolleyes:

Its not helped Rugby League fucking off to France every damn week.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not only that, but there is now the fantastic addition that the league would no longer be a fair one. Of course I would be against it even if it was one of the 38 games being played (real fans being fucked over yet again), but adding an extra game? So what happens if you're fighting to survive in the league, and your extra game happens to be against Arsenal, whereas your rival's extra game is against Derby? That could mean a £30m relegation just on the luck of the draw.

And once again, the FA constantly promises us changes that will improve the national team, and the next day do something that completely goes against what they said. As if there aren't enough games, they now want to add one in the middle of the season to be played half way around the globe. Like everyone said when Capello was appointed, the problem with English football isn't the managers, it's the incompetent fools at the FA. Sack the lot of them and get some people in who actually care about and understand the game.
  • Options
    was just coming on here to post this story.

absolutely ridiculous, i really hope this doesn't happen.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And once again, the FA constantly promises us changes that will improve the national team, and the next day do something that completely goes against what they said.

We of course all know the reason why.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
  • Options
    I had to check to see if it was April 1st when I heard about this, but that said, I wasn't exactly surprised. :rolleyes:

Wigan v Birmingham in Ulaanbaatar anyone?

If they really want to take more games abroad, expand the pre-season Asia Cup.
  • Options
    an extra round of games on neutral territory would be great but an extra game per team is a shit idea
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Its not helped Rugby League fucking off to France every damn week.

Funny you should mention rugby league, what with them abolishing relegation from the Super League and running clubs as franchises. That will be the next thing to happen to the Premiershit- 20 franchises ploughing their lonely furrow.

At least Super League was always marketed as a pan-European league, and was always meant to be such. And at least where they play the games is a rugby league heartland where people care about the game.

What link does Seoul have to Manchester?
  • Options
    Worst idea ever. I couldn't believe it when I heard it was an extra fixture as well, rather than a randomly selected regular fixture (which is still bullshit as the home team would lose home advantage etc).

I don't believe that the rest of the world have any interest in watching half of the fixtures it would throw up anyway - Wigan vs Fulham, Middlesborough vs Birmingham etc.
  • Options
    I can guarantee our first game would be in Bangkok.
  • Options
    they should have some tournament instead. like 4 groups of 5. winners go into semi-final. have it on alternative years when the Euro's and WC isn't on.

would be far better than messing with the league.
  • Options
    Gillingham have never been more attractive.

I suspect that other lower league clubs will rub their hands with glee over this type of suggestion because fans will flock to see them...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

What link does Seoul have to Manchester?

It's the birthplace of Ji-Sung Park

:hyper:

easy..easy..
  • Options
    I wonder whats the chances of Premiership fans actually doing something about it as opposed to just whinging? :chin:
  • Options
    I don't like the proposed structure of the 10 extra games, but I don't think the idea is wholly objectionable, but maybe I'm just saying that because I want to see more NFL and NBA games in the UK...
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »

Fair play but I cannot see petitions as being effective, the only way to threaten the clubs is to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket. Money is the only thing these people see. Boycotts are more effective if the fans actually give a toss.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Fair play but I cannot see petitions as being effective, the only way to threaten the clubs is to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket. Money is the only thing these people see. Boycotts are more effective if the fans actually give a toss.

Neither can I, but it is a start and will at least show that fans are against the idea in large numbers.
  • Options
    Fans should certainly do something more decisive than petitions.

It'd be nice if nobody was to show up at any Premiership game on a given weekend.

Admittedly clubs will have already taken some money through season tickets, but they would lose out on day sales, away travel, and the associated food, drink and merchandise sales. And the bad publicity such action would create would put extra pressure on the Premiershit.

A boycott of all official products including programmes for the rest of the season would drive the message home as well.
  • Options
    I wonder whats the chances of Football league and Non-league fans actually doing something about it as opposed to just whinging? :chin:

fixed

oh wait...
  • Options
    promethean wrote: »
    I want to see more NFL and NBA games in the UK...

I don't...it completely undermines the domestic league we have in basketball and ice hockey and it completely undermines the European American Football league.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't...it completely undermines the domestic league we have in basketball and ice hockey and it completely undermines the European American Football league.

and it fucks up the national team's football pitch!
  • Options
    Kermit,

I used to follow the BBL and I've played American Football for a couple of years whilst at university. The BBL already has quite a few American exports who play in the league who are unable to make it in the NBA, but it would be great to see more UK players like Luol Deng play over in the US. The NFL Europa League collapsed last year because the NFL was not making overseas profits and yet ticket sales for the Wembley game earlier in the year sold out in under 72 hours, so clearly the sport is growing. Showcasing the best of the NBA and NFL around the globe has and will continue to encourage more kids to get involved in the sports (last year the Houston Rockets played the Milwaukee Bucks which saw the clash of two Chinese NBA players- the audience in China was reported to be between 100 and 200 million.

Addict,

It says a lot for sporting facilities in England that we only have one really decent stadium...
  • Options
    promethean wrote: »

Addict,

It says a lot for sporting facilities in England that we only have one really decent stadium...

Not true, we have plenty. Thankfully though, the proprieters of most of those stadia aren't stupid enough to let American sports come over and turn their pitch into a trench!
  • Options
    Did anyone hear that the top 5 teams are apparently going to be seeded in the random draw as well? So not only is there the unfair practice of having to play one team 3 times, the biggest teams have the unfair advantage of being allowed to avoid each other (presumably because they'll make more money selling each top side individually than together). The whole idea gets more pathetic the more you look into it.
  • Options
    There are only 5 stadiums in England that have a capacity in excess of 50,000: Wembley, Old Trafford, Twickenham, Emirates and St James' Park. Spain has 7, Germany has 11, China has 17, Japan has 9, South Africa has 7, Mexico has 10 and the US has 103...
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Not true, we have plenty. Thankfully though, the proprieters of most of those stadia aren't stupid enough to let American sports come over and turn their pitch into a trench!

No, we have the rugby club to do that for us. :(

Still it does mean that other teams have been failing to handle the conditions and we have ten games unbeaten at home currently! :D
  • Options
    It would seems that overseas FA are not actually jumping for joy at the thought of this either:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7239788.stm
  • Options
  • Options
    Good.

I do fucking hate the Premiership plc. The worst thing that has happened to English footbal.
  • Options
    Sepp "i run football" Blatter is a cunt.