Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In a lecture today.. I asked a perfectly valid question - was the chart wrong or was I misreading it? (It turned out afterwards his definition of 'period' was different to what I thought, so it was right - but I wasn't the only student who was confused)

Two fucking stupid idiots behind me start groaning and then when the lecturer said it was right they burst out laughing! I turned round to look at them, they were just laughing in my face like I was an idiot. I went completely red and shrunk down, because I felt like the whole lecture was looking at me.

But they didn't stop there, they made comments about the lecture and the lecturer, reminding me of a facebook group 'dont stick your hand up in lectures', joined by 'hardcore' students who are so clever they never need to ask questions. The two behind me were also making ignorant comments about the lecturer and the fact he's chinese, saying it was the year of the rat, and how they were sure he likes rat soup - it really put me off.

So the rest of the lecture i don't feel i gained anything from it, because two idiots put me off, because they're geniuses who obviously don't even need to attend lectures (so why bother?).

Loads of semi-racist comments though, like in the 10 min interim the lecturer came round asking if we understood everything and the guy behind me told his mate to 'say hello, konichiwa' or something in that urban london accent. *grumbles*
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should have turned round and told them to shut the fuck up! People like that piss me off :banghead: . Just try not to sit near them again.
    Yea I will. Gosh, you would have thought the idiots / ignorants / bullies (I don't know if you can call them that, but fit in with the same 'im clever cos i put other people down' category) would have been filtered out by the time you get to uni.

Just shows there is no correlation between academic intelligence and emotional intelligence / sensitivity.
    Some people's heads are just so far up their own arse's they don't live in the real world :rolleyes: and think it's fine to be like that. Hopefully there aren't many out there like that.
    Don't let them get to you or upset you and if they do it again say something I would! Don't sit there, they wouldn't expect anyone to sayanything to them!
    Konichiwa is japanese not chinese - idiots.
    I know :p I did a bit of chinese back in my day at college. It's just the general ignorance of them.

An email has been sent out by our course administrator strongly chastising students for poor behaviour in the lecture, so it looks like someone reported 'em :).

Yea I did get a bit upset - not crying or ought :p but you know when you feel put down so feel stupid and shut up? Like that. Weird thing was they seemed 'clever' in that when people were asking questions they did know the answers and muttering them under their breath - so maybe part of it is cockiness because they've covered our module before (anyone who has done A level business studies would have, it's operational management / efficiency etc.).

It's again, ignorant to assume everyone thinks it's easy though, since I didn't do business studies a lot of it is new to me which is why I ask questions for clarification.
    Yeah thats one thing in lectures that really annoys me and to start with quite surprised me. People who speak over lecturers and people who take themselves way too seriously. For example whenever the lecturer makes a joke, most people find the funny side and think nothing of ot. The other day i was sat next to a couple people who were forever commenting and making remarks about the lecturer when it was a perfectly good lecture.

How rude people are in lectures is surprising, you would think being at uni, paying and wanting to be here people would be nicer. Bumping the back of the chair your sat in, sitting at the end of empty rows so everyone else has to squeeze past them, always making some stupid comment.

Even in the recent exams, i had one guy stretching his legs out so his feet were under my chair and not minding if his feet were knocking against the legs of my chair.

I've met loads of great people at uni, but also a surprisingly large amounts of idiots.

You always get the people who think they know everything, just the make the point of commenting loudly about them.
    Something similar had happened to me a few weeks ago at uni, I made a mistake on an assignment and the tutor called me on it, felt a pillock for a month afterwards and theres someone in my class who seems to enjoy reminding me of that incident.

Just ignore them, you get idiots like that everywhere.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea I will. Gosh, you would have thought the idiots / ignorants / bullies (I don't know if you can call them that, but fit in with the same 'im clever cos i put other people down' category...
    Vicious cunts would be more appropriate. Where on earth morons like that get off, I don't know.