Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Part time jobs

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I am sure many of you are well aware of my financial pickle and I have decided a part time job could be the answer.

I am looking for a couple of evenings a week for about 4 hours - 6.30 til 10.30 ish

I have thought of supermarkets - I have muchos experience and bars - nada experience.

Any ideas? I also need to know about the tax implications of getting a 2nd job, there is no point in me working hard for nothing.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The tax implication is that on a second job you will usually be taxed at a flat rate 22% (20% from April 1), but you can ask HMRC to change your tax codes around so that your tax-free allowance is split over both jobs. For such a small job its probably not worth it.

And at the end of the year make sure you fill in a self-assessment form because you will probably have paid too much tax under PAYE. Most people don't and pay far too much tax. Any overpaid tax will be refunded to you.

But if you can work 10 hours a week at £6 per hour you should still get £40 a week.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The tax implication is that on a second job you will usually be taxed at a flat rate 22%, but you can ask HMRC to change your tax codes around so that your tax-free allowance is split over both jobs.

And at the end of the year make sure you fill in a self-assessment form because you will probably have paid too much tax under PAYE.

But if you can work 10 hours a week at £6 per hour you should still get £40 a week.

well that was the plan, I dont want to do a lot just enough to keep me afloat so to speak.
  • Options
    Do you have a late night McD's near you? Late shifts are hella fun :D.
  • Options
    Yeah, you should be able to earn enough to keep yourself afloat and have a bit of fun just working one or two nights a week.

The tax sorts itself out if you spend an hour or two doing the self-assessment form.
  • Options
    If your in a tight spot money wise it can help having a second job (even ifs its just for a few months. I know quite a few people at work who having evening/weekend jobs to help them pay the bills.

You have to consider what hours you can fit round work, and not do so many that if effects your job through tiredness or your social life. Your employer might not like you having another job and some places have it written into your contract about whats allowed.

As for you tax, you will techincally have to pay basic rate ona second job, but you can aplly to your tax office (it wont happen automatically) and ask for you tax codes to be changed so you pay slightly more in your main job and slightly less on your second job. I'm assuming you would pay some NI as well as your allowance would be used on your first job.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Do you have a late night McD's near you? Late shifts are hella fun :D.

I am not sure when it closes, but I would end up eating everything in sight! haha!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Yeah, you should be able to earn enough to keep yourself afloat and have a bit of fun just working one or two nights a week.

The tax sorts itself out if you spend an hour or two doing the self-assessment form.

I may call on you if that is ok when that happens? I have no idea when it comes to tax even though I did a whole module on it on the LPC
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I am not sure when it closes, but I would end up eating everything in sight! haha!
    Usually you get enough exercise running around when it's busy to burn it off. We only have one larger-than-lifer at our McD's (she got warnings for taking too much food on her break...) and she was like that before she started.
  • Options
    Morrisons will pay you £5.56/hr or a bit more on checkouts, and they'll be accommodating to your shift needs. They are pretty good like that actually. time and a half on a sunday as well, so you could just do one 8-7pm shift and earn about £85
  • Options
    Morrisons will pay you £5.56/hr or a bit more on checkouts, and they'll be accommodating to your shift needs. They are pretty good like that actually. time and a half on a sunday as well, so you could just do one 8-7pm shift and earn about £85

I dont have a Morrisons near me :( The only bloody supermarket that aint around here mind!
  • Options
    I don't know if other ones pay time and a half on sunday but it's worth a look if you can get it :)
  • Options
    I don't know if other ones pay time and a half on sunday but it's worth a look if you can get it :)

Somerfield dont.. tight bastards :p
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I'm looking at doing the same thing too. I'm so pooorrrr :( I'm looking at taking a bar job again but like, they'll expect me to work weekends and I really want to still have my weekends free to myself.

And? If you need the money you will have to make sacrifices somewhere. Working one shift over the weekend will not kill you.
  • Options
    Starbucks :thumb: You get free coffee and coffee at any meetings and a pound of coffee beans a week! :shocking: (That way you can keep awake thru all the work ;)) Thats what I'm looking at right now... even though with my regular job and school 5 nights a week I'll be at work/school until 10pm and be busy both days of the weekend every week... (but I'm going for 20hours as opposed to a couple for the other job)
  • Options
    Go and work in the Bingo.

Seriously, it's a right good laugh and the people I worked with were great aswell. If you don't like handling cash then you can get a job in the Catering, or you can do what I did and check claims then start calling the numbers. Such a good laugh, it's usually big enough to get a good mix of people, but small enough so you know everybodys name you work with.

Shifts are flexible aswell.

Can't recommend it any higher, ask SuzyCreamCheese (I think) cause she worked in the bingo aswell, even if it was for evil Gala :mad:
  • Options
    The other thing is receptionist type stuff at local leisure facilities, leisure centres, swimming pools and the like.

They've almost always got jobs going although you tend to have to find them by getting in touch with whoever is incharge of that section at that centre. It's an absolute doddle and you tend to spend a good chunk of the time doing very little so is quite well suited to a second job as it won't wear you out.
  • Options
    The other thing is receptionist type stuff at local leisure facilities, leisure centres, swimming pools and the like.

They've almost always got jobs going although you tend to have to find them by getting in touch with whoever is incharge of that section at that centre. It's an absolute doddle and you tend to spend a good chunk of the time doing very little so is quite well suited to a second job as it won't wear you out.

That is a very good idea, and I loved being a receptionist. I know there is a gym in Burnley but I doubt they will have anything like what I want coz they close at 9 me thinks.

Bingo sounds amazing, I love bingo!! But it is Gala :p

I will look into Gala and keep my eyes peeled for reception work :)

I think I have done my stint at the supermarkets and I think the above sound much more fun :)
  • Options
    You don't really need much experience for bar work.

Working in bar often feels like a night out, but your being paid for it. If you find the right bar you might be able to sort a cash-in-hand deal with the manager. ;)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    You don't really need much experience for bar work.

Working in bar often feels like a night out, but your being paid for it. If you find the right bar you might be able to sort a cash-in-hand deal with the manager. ;)

But I worry the hours would be a bit long, I assume it would be finishing at about 12?
  • Options
    But I worry the hours would be a bit long, I assume it would be finishing at about 12?

Yeah probably. Or you could ask for shifts that finished as 10/11
  • Options
    what about hosting Anne Summers parties?
  • Options
    That is a very good idea, and I loved being a receptionist. I know there is a gym in Burnley but I doubt they will have anything like what I want coz they close at 9 me thinks.

Any swimming pools? They are often good and generally open til 10, and then staff don't finish til 2230 officially although generally knock off as soon as the last customer leaves.

Medical receptionist for evening clinics would be another one, depending on how things are for filling those jobs in your area. Some places will take anyone good with dealing with people, other areas there's competition for the jobs.

And there's always babysitting, not entirely reliable, but if you get your name around as a responsible and reliable one the cash in hand is easy money.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    what about hosting Anne Summers parties?

Yeah, or even Body Shop parties :yes:

How about a call centre? Not really exciting but they do offer work at night till say 10, so you could do a few nights a week or at the weekend.
  • Options
    Any swimming pools? They are often good and generally open til 10, and then staff don't finish til 2230 officially although generally knock off as soon as the last customer leaves.

Medical receptionist for evening clinics would be another one, depending on how things are for filling those jobs in your area. Some places will take anyone good with dealing with people, other areas there's competition for the jobs.

And there's always babysitting, not entirely reliable, but if you get your name around as a responsible and reliable one the cash in hand is easy money.

I'd love to babysitting, but I dont know anyone :(

Swimming pool is attached to the gym, so that is a no go.

Ann Summers would be good, and I didnt know about Body Shop parties (how out of the party loop am I!)
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    How about a call centre? Not really exciting but they do offer work at night till say 10, so you could do a few nights a week or at the weekend.

Can be stressful though, had a Polish bloke on today that didn't speak a word of English and it took me an hour to finish the call.

Emma, you should be an Avon lady! :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Can be stressful though, had a Polish bloke on today that didn't speak a word of English and it took me an hour to finish the call.

Steven said no, and tbh it would be so hard to actually make any pennies. :(
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »

Oh god bet that was hard work! Maybe give the call centre idea a miss :yes:
  • Options
    is there anyway you can work more hours in your current job? i do an extra hour a day for another department as they r short staffed. I'm lucky that my company pays good hourly rate so i can take home easily another £50 a week which isnt alot but definatly helps. I dont think i get taxed a lot more althought i havent looked in much detail:blush:

how about a cleaning job? my friend does a cleaning job in some offices close to where she lives, is perfect for her as she finishes her full time job then goes and does 2-3 hours cleaning a couple nights a week and it pays about £7 an hour.
  • Options
    is there anyway you can work more hours in your current job? i do an extra hour a day for another department as they r short staffed. I'm lucky that my company pays good hourly rate so i can take home easily another £50 a week which isnt alot but definatly helps. I dont think i get taxed a lot more althought i havent looked in much detail:blush:.

If the overtime gets paid on your payslips with your normal salary then it counts towards your main income and you get taxed at normal tax and NI rates for your income band.
  • Options
    How about trying a local estate agent - they often need weekend staff as their regulars often want the weekend off and i'm sure your legal background would come in really useful

x