Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

adaptation to exercise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi,

i was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the body's ability to adapt to the type of exercise you are doing?

i have read that if you do the same workout for a while, if you are trying to burn fat, you may plateau due to the body becoming more efficient at the task and consequently burning less energy.

is this true?

i am currently doing 50 mins on the cross trainer, 6 days a week, maintaining heart rate 150-170. (cant run due to groin strain)

if the addaption thing is true, should i be doing say 2 different types of workout per week, eg. cross training one day, swimming the next throughtout the week. or should i swap from week to week, eg. week 1 crosstrainer, week 2 swimming, repeat. OR should i be doing each one for a longer duration like a month or two then swapping?

thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The exercise will still be beneficial regardless.

Of course you adapt, though, because you are building the muscles that you use, so it will become easier.

The idea of the plateau as I understand it is that you get to a certain point after a while where you cease to see the massive sort of improvements that you were seeing in the early phases. But really that just means that you have reached the fitness level for the type and amount of exercise that you are doing. It doesn't mean it's not doing anything any more.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    clara wrote: »
    i was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about the body's ability to adapt to the type of exercise you are doing?
    it will adapt with building more muscle.
    at plateau your body is used to and less tired by your normal exercise regime. so the idea is your workout should always leave you knackered to be the best benefit to you. though all exercise is good regardless. :)