Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Poo shitting thieves

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Two lads just walked into my room about half hour a go, quite large lads you know. So I challenged them and they said 'Is Jon coming to play football' (wtf at 9.45pm?), then I said who's jon, they said sorry walked off - I got two lads from the kitchen and found a girl up the corridor who'd they just did the same too.

I went to the porters, couldn't ring them because my roomphone is bust, no porters there, used the red emergency phone it was engaged! Waited around for 10 mins, no joy, walked back to my room and saw the porter, told him, he got about 20 others and split up looking around, then about 15 mins later got a call on the radio with a reported laptop theft :(. A really nice guy I know too, he looks absolutely gutted.

Feel guilty, should have been a bit more.. I dunno. Pro active? I knew they were up to no good straight away. It's a bit shocking really. :( I was a bit confused though cos I wasn't 100% sure they were bad, so didn't know whether to call the cops. Regret not now. Took my details and all that.

So close but yet so fucking far :mad: that's three friends at uni who've had their laptops nicked this year now (and we're all in the same college!)

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    How did he get into your room?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was in my room watching a film. I don't tend to lock my room when I'm in it? He didn't steal anything from here.

Thing is, it's the blasé attitude (if that's the right word), they just walk in casually and quickly, see me and don't hesitate for a second, just ask if Jon is about to play football. Put's me on the backfoot, I guess. I think I'm going to OD on adrenaline.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I was in my room watching a film. I don't tend to lock my room when I'm in it? He didn't steal anything from here.

Thing is, it's the blasé attitude (if that's the right word), they just walk in casually and quickly, see me and don't hesitate for a second, just ask if Jon is about to play football. Put's me on the backfoot, I guess. I think I'm going to OD on adrenaline.

Do you not have a main front door? or is it halls?

Personally if there was nothing locked and therefore stopping anyone walking in willy nilly, I think it is a bit silly.

I mean, dont get me wrong, it is a shame you were robbed, but in this day and age worse things could have happened, and I hope that you learn from it.
    Something like that happened to us at uni. They knicked my mates laptop too.

Only difference is we weren't as aware as you and your housemate. We were drunk in the kitchen having fun fights. First time we knew about it was when the police came around. The police werent too happy cos we had left the door wide open :)
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Do you not have a main front door? or is it halls?

Personally if there was nothing locked and therefore stopping anyone walking in willy nilly, I think it is a bit silly.

I mean, dont get me wrong, it is a shame you were robbed, but in this day and age worse things could have happened, and I hope that you learn from it.

Huh? Hope that I learn from it lol...

Ok.

1. it's halls of residence on campus.
    2. there is a keycode entrance to the corridors. this is changed once per term.
    3. all rooms are supposed to be locked, though obviously people do get lazy. I wasn't being lazy, I was in my room, I had nothing stolen.

I raised the alarm, we went round looking, but a mate in a different block (I have no idea how the thieves get in??) reported in 15 minutes later that his laptop was nicked. The time it takes them to do it is so quick you could have just gone loo. Scary stuff.

The reason I'm pissed is because I raised the alarm, but the laptop was nicked between 9.45 and 10.15, and I couldn't find the porter until 9.55. If I'd been even more proactive perhaps the lads from the kitchen could have chased them off - but at that stage you don't *know* that they're crooks. Students are always wandering in and out of each others halls. Just don't normally have strangers burst into your room unannounced asking for people who aren't there and wouldn't be there at all.

edit: not annoyed at you Bunnie, just so much adrenaline going through my system now. The guy who did get his laptop nicked had left his door unlocked since 7pm, so yea asking for trouble. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get to sleep tonight, and I've got an early morning tomorrow :(
    Was this Goodricke, Langwith or Derwent? you may have noticed the campaign around campus to get full time porters reinstated as last year they cut their hours quite considerable and at times there are no porters. Take it up with the university, I'm sure there is someone you can write a nice complaint letter to. Or, contact YUSU and the welfare officer. There are loads more proactive things you can do about this rather than just telling us on here and being annoyed that you didn't get all vigilante on their butts.
    you may have noticed the campaign around campus to get full time porters reinstated as last year they cut their hours quite considerable and at times there are no porters.

You don't have full-time porters??? Thats crap! Ours are there all the time. Its great. I wandered in to check my mail at about 3 am one time - was a little bit wasted at the time so the porter gave me a weird look, but we had a nice little chat, before I wandered off again :D

Sorry to hear about the thefts. I think you did your best at the time, but like KHSS says, you can be pro-active now and complain to someone (dunno who) about the lack of porters.
    Should ring the police first next time. What's a porter gonna do except ring the police??? Cut out the middle man.

These 2 were definitely thieves, we get people like that all the time at work. They concoct a story which sounds plausible when challenged then nick all your stuff.
    I know it's crap; York uni has done lots of things like this recently in order to cut costs and it's caused the uni to drop several places in the Guardian rankings because the amount of money spent per student has decreased so much. They really are running it like a business rather than a uni and the students just seem to get in the way. eg, my dept is really underfunded and the uni won't pay out for 2 seminar rooms and so instead of having seminars the right size we just have the whole lecture group crammed in and not learning anything.
    York's good teaching wise but the rest of it is just shit really.
    Man things are going downhill - we had a full time porter in the offices of each college and extra porters on rounds at night when I was at York. To be honest I can't remember a time when we weren't sitting around at night finishing off the carry out that there wasn't a porter around having a chat with us waiting for the phone to ring.

Knew we should have gone ahead with that occupation when they started talking about cut backs. ;)
    Most universities are the same now. It's all about profit and teaching seems to come a distant 127th in their list of priorities.

Take Durham. At least we had a full-time porter, but then our halls rent was higher than the basic student loan...
    I know, it's awful. they have been trying to close all the campus bars (except Derwent) for a while now as well, I think they are on reduced hours at the moment.

James college has never had a porter, and I think Goodricke is the only one with 24 hour portering now and has to deal with all the campus when the rest are closed.

The uni wants to make the student population over half international students because they pay more, by next year I think.

oh yes and they have put all the vending machine prices up so it's 60p for a bag of crisps :grump:
    fucking hell - time for me to write a letter of complaint as an alumni...
    I think you should!
    I feel that they are devaluing my degree by turning themselves into a crap uni - I only chose them because they were number bloody 6 on the list when I was applying!
    Go on - set up a facebook group about it to collect stories or views of what's happening. It'll be very high profile to people considering coming to the uni in the future and the press love that stuff. Send me an invite and I've got hundreds of possible alumni through friends who could join and talk about how disgusted they are by the situation.

Seriously - half an hours work could actually make a difference
    ok, I'll do one later today. If I forward it to York Vision, the stories will flood in :lol:
    You did the best you could :) Don't feel bad. You weren't to know 100% they were thieves. The petition is a good idea
    do you not have campus security guards?

We have one entrance, and one only! This is electronically locked and opened by a swipe card. Once you get in, you have to flash your house key to the guards on the gate to get any further.

We very rarely have any trouble, and fuck, its in the middle of Salford! aka the lebanon!
    probably not a good idea to discuss York uni's security here in case people think it's a good place to go and burgle!

ps potential burglars: don't bother burgling york students because nobody has any money as it all goes on extortionate rent :thumb:
    Yea it was Derwent, I'm in B block, somehow they could get into all the blocks though, even though they've got keycodes? Porters reckoned they follow people in who hold the door open for them. Stuff was stolen from D block, so they were on the prowl.

If you do start a facebook group invite me. The international student situation is a disgrace, my department keeps holding socials and meet and greet things but they're for non English students. Not only that but the relationship between staff and student has degraded - my provost was talking to me about how the uni staff don't care about the students anymore - they used to have a mentor relationship and would have small chats about everything (Ron Weir has been there forever though, so this may have been years ago) - these days they just fill in an assesment form once a term and the tutors don't even know their own supervisees.

Don't get me wrong I love York, and the people are good, but it is all about money. How can you have a seminar to discuss specific issues with 60 people? Having a discussion about this last night, we thought the uni was just shooting itself in the foot.

The whole Heslington east campus is primarily motivated by research, to build closer ties to industry bringing more money in and more expensive accomodation (like the Vanbrugh palaces) for rich international students who pay more. Everyone knows typical students are broke, so the uni is trying to attract the more wealthy clientelle. (if thats how it's spelt)

Anyway, back home now :) I could rant about this all day.

Whowhere - yea but at the time I wasn't sure. They do put you on the backfoot by giving a half credible story, and you'd feel like an idiot if you got the police out for nothing. But normally we do alert the porters as they double up as security, and get all the rest of campus security. So at least you have 15 - 20 big men looking round within about 5 minutes (it's quite cool actually), rather than a police car with 2 guys who just want to take a quick statement because they didn't see anyone whilst they walked to your room. Which turns up IME 3 days later :rolleyes: (note: even if people are trying to get into your house, as long as you can hold them at bay, even if they are bricking your windows, it's not an 'emergency'. However, that's Leicester and they've got really bad reports for dubious conduct, so maybe not the gold standard)
    ok, I'll do one later today. If I forward it to York Vision, the stories will flood in :lol:

Cool, I'll start getting it sent out around the Alumni ;)
    Sorry to hear about the that, ShyBoy. Unfortunately, without meaning to be the prophet of doom, that won't be last laptop to get nicked from halls. I know that MMU doesn't even manage most of its halls. Briarfields, where I used to be, was effectively run by a private company. The uni did the admin, the company did everything else, including security. To give them their dues, the security guards were brilliant. (particularly the night when some plonker had let in a drunken harlot who was running around the hall saying she was going to kill us all. Long story...)

I can't help but remember in my first week at uni, however. I had to go to a fire safety talk. One of the most senior coppers in Greater Manchester Police said he thought we were all looked very nervous. He then went on to tell us around a third of us in that room would be the victim of crime in the next few years. Someone then shouts "yeah, thanks a lot bruv, really cheered us up, that.".

Shout from the rooftops on Facebook about it. Who knows, the uni might actually listen...
    sorry to hear that Shyboy.
    God thats horrible, you think you would be safe on campus too :rolleyes:

At our uni halls, which were more like flats, we didn't have one porter or security guard that we knew about! So many times random people got into our flat and a few times it did get trashed and we had to sort it out ourselves. It wasn't good :no:
    on a side note, why don't you go to these meet-and-greet things for the foreign students?

they're only there because they want to improve their english and thats where you come in. they are generally interesting people who are keen to talk

plus, given that you live in britain, its guaranteed that the foreign students will be the best looking women (assuming its erasmus)
    phoenix24 wrote: »
    on a side note, why don't you go to these meet-and-greet things for the foreign students?

they're only there because they want to improve their english and thats where you come in. they are generally interesting people who are keen to talk

plus, given that you live in britain, its guaranteed that the foreign students will be the best looking women (assuming its erasmus)

Lol. The e-mails are specifically for the foreign students though. I could go I guess. I just think it would be lovely if we had a big black tie social for our department and the lecturers. There is such a big divide between the staff and the undergrads, not much of a 'connection'.

And they're not erasmus, it's mainly private students from mainland China (and a few from Europe). UK Degrees are seen as very good according to a polish guy on my course :). But there is a cultural divide, foreign students generally all go in the same college on campus so there is limited pastoral mixing and then on courses at least in mine they sit together (understandable) and the socials are addressed for them exclusively, so there is very limited opportunity to 'mix it up' as it were :). Is the right word 'ghetto-isation'?

But you're all right, no point whining about it on here. Mainly it was the shock of the burglars that I neeeded to rant about. Didn't get to sleep until 5am that night from the adrenaline, but definately more chilled now :).
    Saw them again so followed them a bit (remember, phone doesn't work :grump:) and reported them when I got close to the main security office. Reckless or brave? :p
    Good for you man - it's not like they could have got agressive on campus, and it's pretty easy to follow someone at a distance in York - hopefully they got caught or scared off...