Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MPs employing family members

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lets hope the police inquiry gets something concrete on this piece of shit. Nothing would make me happier than to see him do time. If he can afford to send his kid to Harrow and his arsehole son can afford to hold a party with the theme (Fuck off I'm rich... see TV report) surely he doesn't need to nick off the taxpayer to pay tuition fees...

From the other article.
The student was paid more than £40,000 for his three-year employment period.
The committee said he should pay back up to £13,161 of the amount paid to his son from his Parliamentary allowances and be suspended from the House of Commons for 10 days.

An absolute fucking disgrace. If someone guilty of benefit fraud nicked £40k they'd get a lot more than a slap on the wrist and polite request to pay a little bit of it back. Imo MPs guilty of such corruption should have to pay back 25 x what they nicked; and if he can't afford it lets see his house and possessions repossessed...

Comments

• Options
    What makes me laugh about this is that the Tories have spent the past 2 weeks constantly pointing out the government's offences in this area. Let he who is without sin and all that.
  • Options
    What makes me laugh about this is that the Tories have spent the past 2 weeks constantly pointing out the government's offences in this area. Let he who is without sin and all that.

But to be fair within 24 hours of the report coming out he's an ex-Tory MP.

Still the problem with parties pointing out the sins of the others isn't that it blackens the Labour or Tories, but that it blackens all politicians. British politicians are pretty uncorrupt, but every story is seen by the public as applying to all politicians - not just a few.
  • Options
    Derek Conway should be ashamed. Its not like it could have even slipped his mind that he was paying his children thousands of pounds and they weren't doing any work.

For some MP's employing husbands, wives, children may work. On the hole though I think it should be avoided.
  • Options
    I've been particularly enjoying reading all these revelations in the Daily Mail this week. Doubtless that, if this story was first mentioned in The Guardian, we would see Aladdin shouting from the rooftops about "Tory sleaze". But I digress. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a smug, overpaid MP getting his comeuppance. Here's hoping they've got revelations about more MPs to come.
  • Options
    Surely he can be charged with 'obtaining money under false pretences' which is a criminal charge. Kermit; your legal eagle opinion?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Nothing makes me happier than seeing a smug, overpaid MP getting his comeuppance. Here's hoping they've got revelations about more MPs to come.

:confused: Why would you 'hope' that there is more to come? We should hope that this is a rare case and an exception... And it is, as Flashman says British politicians are generally uncorrupt. There are scandals; Mandelson, Bernie Eccleston, Lord Levy/Cash for honours and this... to name just a few. But - there's lots of other countries where a politician speeding up a visa application for a nanny, accepting questionable 'gifts', etc is accepted as part of the job and not even reported...

Quite interesting... and scroll down. Looking at where France, Italy and Greece are Britain is pretty good.
  • Options
    Theft pure and simple and I look forward to his court case.

BTW Frank Field is correct, he shouldn't be in the Commons again.
  • Options
    I wish someone had paid me £40k to be a student...

Now RBS have that honour, but I'm not a student...
  • Options
    For any politician to be discussing ethics in their line of business is highly amusing. Their business is devoid of such. Sure discuss the legality of their ways but do not kid yourself into thinking that ethics can be involved.
  • Options
    Why would you 'hope' that there is more to come? We should hope that this is a rare case and an exception...
    Well, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some of our MPs brought down a peg or two.
  • Options
    Well, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some of our MPs brought down a peg or two.

You may get your wish...

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/commons/story/0,,2250882,00.html

David Cameron today admitted 70 Tory MPs had relatives on their staff, while Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg urged their MPs to declare the employment of family members in the register of members' interests.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg went further, stating that MPs should restricted to employing only one relative. He called on his MPs to publish details of the staff working in their office.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    David Cameron today admitted 70 Tory MPs had relatives on their staff, while Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg urged their MPs to declare the employment of family members in the register of members' interests. Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg went further, stating that MPs should restricted to employing only one relative. He called on his MPs to publish details of the staff working in their office.
    Somehow, I don't think that'll do the trick. I don't have any problem as such with MPs employing their own relatives, as long as they're actually doing some work in order to get that money. Earlier on, I saw the wife of Stephen Hammond on TV explaining what she did. I've no problem with that.

What pisses me off is the actions of Conway. This is a man who was effectively embezzling the taxpayer. He should be made to pay back every single penny of that money with interest, and he should be investigated by the police. I doubt he is the only MP cheating the system like this either. Politicians expenses claims get dodgier every year. I refuse to believe that some MPs travel the equivalent of to the Moon and back each year.
  • Options
    Even if a politician's family are being paid for a real job they actually do, it's still a bit unfair because if the job's gone to family, no one else gets a chance at it. Do they have to advertise the role first, or can they just invent the job and give it to a family member?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Even if a politician's family are being paid for a real job they actually do, it's still a bit unfair because if the job's gone to family, no one else gets a chance at it. Do they have to advertise the role first, or can they just invent the job and give it to a family member?
    I don't think these jobs are usually advertised, though I honestly don't know where I'd find the adverts anyway. In a sense, however, not advertising the job is a good thing. By not posting an advert, they keep recruitment costs down. (I can't believe I've just made an argument in support of MPs) :p
  • Options
    I don't think these jobs are usually advertised, though I honestly don't know where I'd find the adverts anyway.

Some advertise on here.

Some of the broadsheets and maybe Spectator/New Statesman.

But yeah - lots of stuff isn't advertised. Word of mouth, contacts, speculative requests, etc. I'd guess the vast majority of MPs staff were party members/political activists - if you want to work for an MP get involved in the party first.
  • Options
    The guy is scum. He should piss off and a by-election should be held in his constituency. MPs should be allowed to employ family members but it should be open and transparent.

Can we get back to slagging off New Labour now?
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Can we get back to slagging off New Labour now?
    No. Even though I despise this government with every bone in my body, I don't think that our useless opposition should be allowed off the hook. For example, concerning the ongoing funding rows - they still haven't told us whether Lord Ashcroft, the Tory Party's own Mr Moneybags, pays tax in the UK or not.
  • Options
    For example, concerning the ongoing funding rows - they still haven't told us whether Lord Ashcroft, the Tory Party's own Mr Moneybags, pays tax in the UK or not.

But surely their refusal to tell us means he doesn't, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    But surely their refusal to tell us means he doesn't, doesn't it?
    Well, nobody knows. The fact they won't tell us does suggesting they're hiding something. To give the Labour Party some credit, (I'm not gonna make a habit of complimenting that lot, that's for sure) at least we know the trade union members pay their taxes in the UK. And there was me under the impression that Call Me Dave believed in transparency.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

A lot of MPs run in fairly exclusive circles so all the jobs in government go to insiders anyway. i.e. university elite groups (St. Andrews, Oxbridge) and probably the pony club. It's a bit of a shame because you'll find a lot of the best talent ends up in the private sector where it's ruthlessly competitive with no holds barred (usually).
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    A lot of MPs run in fairly exclusive circles so all the jobs in government go to insiders anyway. i.e. university elite groups (St. Andrews, Oxbridge) and probably the pony club.
    Look at the top of the tree for more evidence of this. Take a look at our Prime Ministers - just about every single one we've had in the last century had a degree from either Oxford or Cambridge universities. Apparently, these are the two best unis in the country - yet most of those PMs turned out to be absolutely shit at the job. Speaks volumes.

And another thing. Notice that Gordon Brown has said absolutely nothing about all of this? He can hardly do that - it seems half of his cabinet are related to one another. David and Ed Miliband are brothers, for example. His deputy, Harriet Harman was married to the former Labour Party treasurer. Oh, and Douglas Alexander's sister Wendy happens to be leader of the Scottish Labour Party. (seems to believe that being referred to prosecutors isn't a resigning matter, the deluded old dear) Politics is almost incenstuous at the moment, frankly.
  • Options
    Parliament was supposed to do away with hereditary rule but it does seem that your connections and your family are as important to becoming an MP as any real talent or skill. I know you can break through, but there are still a lot of barriers in place and it helps to have 'friends'. It's not right but parliament as a system of representation of the population isn't all it's cracked up to be. A bit like the matrix - we're only happy and contented because we have an illusion of choice or power that we can change it.