Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Re-letting current house

Brief overview:

5 bedroom houseshare
Contract ends at end of February
2 people want to move out, 3 of us want to stay

My landlord has been to-ing and fro-ing over what to do about things, I have been trying to get a definitive answer about whats going on and how to proceed for weeks now. Today he has emailed us all saying that he is giving the property to an agency (which he has previously said he would, then wouldn?t, now is again) and that to secure the house with either a new or existing group we need to sign the tenancy agreement by 7th February.

Whilst this is all well and good, it gives us very little time to find 2 more people to fill the places with. We would have started trying earlier, but as the landlord wouldn?t/couldn?t tell us what is going on it made it a bit difficult. We are able to sign the tenancy agreement with just the 3 of us then find the other 2 people afterwards (and due to the area we live/price of rooms this apparently shouldn?t be a problem) but I?m a bit uncomfortable about signing a tenancy agreement for £1600 a month in case we don?t get anyone else in time, then we are liable for the rent.

Is there anything I can do about getting us more time? The other difficulty is that we aren?t friends who live together, it is just a houseshare so quite often we don?t know when others will be in or not to show people around the rooms. One of the people moving out has now got a bit of an attitude of "I'm moving out, why should I care" so thats a potential problem with finding people. That and as one of my housemates hasn?t paid any rent due to some problem with his bank account, and he has until Friday to settle the account so if he doesn?t, then we are all out on our arses anyway :thumb: I just feel that as the landlord said we have to wait until Friday until we know whether we are allowed to stay or not, they aren?t giving us much time to fill the places which seems a bit unfair.

I'm expecting the answer to be "tough shit" but thought I would ask anyway.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    When you signed your original tenancy agreement, did you also sign something called a Section 21 notice? Landlords often get you to sign these when you take out the tenancy, which means that on the last day of the tenancy you have to hand the keys back or else he can apply to the court for possession. It sounds like you have an Assured Shorthold tenancy, which is the most common type of tenancy agreement for private tenants.

He cannot change the locks or evict you without a court order, and he would need to go to court twice to get the right order (once to get a possession order and once to get a warrant for the bailiffs to evict you). The costs of any court orders are added to the amount you owe him.

Ring Shelter on 0808 800 4444 or call Community Legal Advice on 0845 345 4345 for better advice.
  • Options
    just go on gumtree (or similar) and put an ad out for 2 housemates.

i was told on december 12 that i should move out before xmas.

on the 13th i scoured gumtree and sent a few emails. 14th read the replys and arranged some viewings for the 15th and 16th.
    on the night of the 17th i text someone living in my chosen house if they would accept me. On the 18th i went round and paid the deposit and got a key, and then moved my stuff across the next weekend.

i would have prefered an extra weekend to view some more, as i only saw 4 over the weekend, but its all good now.