Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cover your eyes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wouldn't recommend clicking on the link if you're easily offended. How anyone could go on living after gazing on such an offensive image, I'll never know.

Comments

• Options
    Offensive? No. Innappropriate? Almost certainly.
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure how i'll ever retrieve my innocence.
  • Options
    It's inappropriate and exploitative advertising. As is the norm from those "lovable" Irish rogues.

Still, gets their cattle trucks in the paper, so it's worked.
  • Options
    Didn't see anything wrong it

she's fit

haha
  • Options
    Oh, come on who hasn't dressed their significant other in a school girls uniform and then spanked her bare behind whilst dressed in mortar gown and cape?

Am I sharing too much?:o
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Oh FSS. Fucking people, get over yourselves.

WHO CARES. ITS AN ADVERT.

It doesn't say "OMG GO SHAG YOUNG GIRLS NOW!" It's a play on words, its a joke, not a good one, but oh well.

People take things to literally today.
  • Options
    Meh.. it's no worse than how Britney's management/record company marketed her when she was a bit younger...

Sexism and objectification is still widespread in advertising... And tbh it won't change fast; realistically it's not something that can be fought with tough legislation... There's too many grey areas and hard and fast rules are too easily misinterpreted - fighting blatant objectification then can soon become censorship...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Oh FSS. Fucking people, get over yourselves.

WHO CARES. ITS AN ADVERT.

It doesn't say "OMG GO SHAG YOUNG GIRLS NOW!" It's a play on words, its a joke, not a good one, but oh well.

People take things to literally today.

I think in your quest to become outraged at extreme reactions you've missed mine and Kermit's point. It's not appropriate to sexualise young girls in school dresses.
  • Options
    Meh.. it's no worse than how Britney's management/record company marketed her when she was a bit younger...

Not only that, but she was an actual school girl at the time, and the record was aimed at school girls. I doubt Ryanair were expecting many bookings from 14 year olds somehow. The ultimate irony of course, is that the adverts were placed in newspapers that are entirely unsuitable for young children anyway. I can just imagine it now. Turning the page after reading News In Briefs, only to be outraged at the image of a girl dressed in a school uniform.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think in your quest to become outraged at extreme reactions you've missed mine and Kermit's point. It's not appropriate to sexualise young girls in school dresses.

Why not? By definition, teenage girls will sexualise themselves. Always have, always will.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this the other day (stop laughing at the back) it's curious that our society is outraged by the notion of paedophilia but has no problem with the sexualisation of the school girl image. I'm as guilty as anyone about this 'double standard' before anyone asks. :blush:

Another thing how is the ad any worse than the St Trinians films which have been around for 50 years or so?
  • Options
    Ryanair - a reputable, respected Irish airline with its headquarters in Dublin. Has 516 routes across 26 countries from 25 bases, according to Wikipedia. Known for its rapid expansion, its large passenger numbers and imitable form of advertising, which has got it into trouble with ASA before. The names of those who run it can be easily found and held accountable for any successes or failures they are responsible for.

The Advertising Standards Authority - a useless quango, filled with unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats. Nobody knows who they are, and they are probably paid too much. Wouldn't surprise anyone if some of them were New Labour cronies. Has nothing better to do than banning good-humored adverts from airlines. Should be shut down at once and its members boiled alive.

BBC News - once a byword for news reporting. Now just wastes our time reporting on stupid stories like this.
  • Options
    To be fair on the beeb they and most news outlets have always run stories like this

ie News at Ten 'And finally...' section

Some days I prefer these to the real stories
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    To be fair on the beeb they and most news outlets have always run stories like this, ie News at Ten 'And finally...' section
    Nothing wrong with slipping it in at the end of the bulletin. There's nothing I love more than seeing smug organisations being laughed at. Knowing the BBC's sense of priorities however, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been leading with this story yesterday. This, after all, is the news organisation that led its bulletins a few months ago, with the news that a cat had been given a different name to one that people had voted for on Blue Peter...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with slipping it in at the end of the bulletin. There's nothing I love more than seeing smug organisations being laughed at. Knowing the BBC's sense of priorities however, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been leading with this story yesterday. This, after all, is the news organisation that led its bulletins a few months ago, with the news that a cat had been given a different name to one that people had voted for on Blue Peter...

I was working for the Beeb at the time the cat story broke and can say at the time they were practically under siege with 'faking' stories. The rest of the media organizations were smugly loving and would have had a field day if they hadn't made it a prominent story. No doubt critics would have been screaming cover up. Damned if you do...
  • Options
    On the other hand, Ryanair is in the news again today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7219499.stm
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    The rest of the media organizations were smugly loving and would have had a field day if they hadn't made it a prominent story. No doubt critics would have been screaming cover up.
    The same day that story broke, I believe we also heard about the death of a soldier in Afghanistan. The Beeb devoted several minutes of its bulletins to "the cat story" and a few seconds to a soldier's death. Speaks volumes about Aunty's sense of priorities.

As for the other story, Sarozky is a humourless robot. Bring back Jacques Chirac - he may have been corrupt, but at least he had a sense of humour.
  • Options
    The ultimate irony of course, is that the adverts were placed in newspapers that are entirely unsuitable for young children anyway. I can just imagine it now. Turning the page after reading News In Briefs, only to be outraged at the image of a girl dressed in a school uniform.

Aye, and that's even worse. Especially the lower-end papers, like the Star, who seem to revel in getting the youngest legal girls to take their kit off.

It's disgusting IMHO.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Aye, and that's even worse. Especially the lower-end papers, like the Star, who seem to revel in getting the youngest legal girls to take their kit off.

It's disgusting IMHO.

- Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

The Daily Mash's Take Made me laugh.
  • Options
    Daily Mash wrote:
    Julian Cook, of the Consumers Association, said: "Perhaps the next Ryanair advert could show a picture of a dilligent schoolboy trying to work out why the advert said a flight to Barcelona would cost £7.50, but he's actually been charged ten times that."

:lol:

I don't think it's appropriate advertising and comparing it to Page Three is daft because I don't think that's appropriate either.

If thinking that this advert is inappropriate and exploitative makes me boring then hey, what can you do? Nudity and sexy images don't bother me; the ideas behind this particular advert do bother me.

As I said though, great publicity for the Irish cattle truck owners.
  • Options
    The Daily Mash's Take Made me laugh.

Julian Cook, of the Consumers Association, said: "Perhaps the next Ryanair advert could show a picture of a dilligent schoolboy trying to work out why the advert said a flight to Barcelona would cost £7.50, but he's actually been charged ten times that."

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    The same day that story broke, I believe we also heard about the death of a soldier in Afghanistan. The Beeb devoted several minutes of its bulletins to "the cat story" and a few seconds to a soldier's death. Speaks volumes about Aunty's sense of priorities.

Interesting article on the British media and Iraq

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/dec/10/iraqandthemedia.iraq
  • Options
    Ryanair truly is a despicable company run by a despicable little shit. I don't know what could worse: working for them or flying with them.
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend clicking on the link if you're easily offended. How anyone could go on living after gazing on such an offensive image, I'll never know.

Lawyer up dude. As you destroyed my innocent, tranquil nature with such a dirty and lewd picture this ends in a lawsuit for you...
  • Options

And if they hadn't done that, no doubt you would've been criticising them for hiding their own cock ups at the end of the news. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

It's disgusting IMHO.

And the girl consents, the newspaper consents, and the reader consents, so what has it got to do with you or any other organisation?
  • Options
    And if they hadn't done that, no doubt you would've been criticising them for hiding their own cock ups at the end of the news. :rolleyes:
    Of course. Any excuse to beat the Beeb with a stick.
  • Options
    Of course. Any excuse to beat the Beeb with a stick.
    That is exactly what those who despise the BBC (for political reasons only, I should add) do.

If its output is highbrow, high quality and professional, certain people complain that it is not reaching out to the majority of this country and that its ratings are not good enough and what should we be paying the licence for something not many people enjoy and blah blah...

And then, when it becomes more populist (trouncing every other channel's ratings in the process), the very same people complain that the BBC is too populist and why should we be paying the licence for such rubbish and blah blah.

It really gets quite tiresome.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And then, when it becomes more populist (trouncing every other channel's ratings in the process), the very same people complain that the BBC is too populist and why should we be paying the licence for such rubbish and blah blah.
    Not really. Admittedly, the reason the Beeb dominates in a lot of areas is because the commercial alternatives are woefully bad. I always find myself listening to Radio 1, for example, mainly because the offerings on the commercial stations are just utterly dreadful. At least the Beeb tries to play a larger variety of music than the others. One of my local stations seems to have James Blunt on eight times an hour, for fuck's sake...
  • Options
    Not really. Admittedly, the reason the Beeb dominates in a lot of areas is because the commercial alternatives are woefully bad. I always find myself listening to Radio 1, for example, mainly because the offerings on the commercial stations are just utterly dreadful. At least the Beeb tries to play a larger variety of music than the others. One of my local stations seems to have James Blunt on eight times an hour, for fuck's sake...

BBC Radio 4 is worth the licence fee alone. Radio 1 serves a purpose as far as i'm concerned - it provides a new medium for Heat-reading, avid fans of reality TV who want to experience new ways of rotting their mind.

If you left me in a room with Chris Moyles, Sara Cox and Jo (my top 50 favourite songs are the top 50, in order) Whiley, i couldn't swear that as many people would leave as went in.