Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why People are aruging against Immigration when they are giving also

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
[FONT=courier new,monospace]The day Tony left the office and Brown took charge, labor party is coming under extreme criticism on their policies, among which immigration is the most heated topic. But i was just wondering why their is so much concerns UK population have about this. In one report it looks that they are giving more than they took, e.g;[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new,monospace]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4487707.stm[/FONT]

[FONT=courier new,monospace]And then another report comes in which it looks like whole problem is due to people who are immigrating, e.g;[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new,monospace]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7215624.stm[/FONT]

[FONT=courier new,monospace]I think everybody is confused here what is right and what is wrong, everyone is trying to show the picture which he/she thinks is right including BBC. I think they should show that if they are getting these facilities then how much they pay for getting those (in same report) otherwise it makes a wrong public opinion about a certain fact.

Now if different department of govt are in pressure due to increase in population it means that UK Govt did not prepare for this, so instead of blaming Immigrants, people of UK should have to blame Govt, who did not make new hospitals and schools to cope with possible problems. I think Immigrants and UK born population both are not getting good service for what they are paying for.

At the end, a very humble request, don't hate or blame immigrants, hate the Govt, because when people said its all because of Immigration, it looks not fair because they are paying their tax but Govt is not using it properly.

Thanks everyone for reading.
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    I work with Polish.

It's amazing, they come to a whole new country and they HAMMER the application forms, CVs, ring employers and they amazingly find a job within a few days of arriving.

Yet papers like the daily mail blame immigrants for taking our jobs and even the strain on the NHS.
    The Daily Mail conveniently omits to mention that if it weren't for immigrants who work for the NHS, there wouldn't be enough doctors and nurses to look after us.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The Daily Mail conveniently omits to mention that if it weren't for immigrants who work for the NHS, there wouldn't be enough doctors and nurses to look after us.

They also forget to mention this little talked about fact about Enoch Powell:

Later, he oversaw the employment of a large number of Commonwealth immigrants by the understaffed National Health Service.[22] Prior to this, many non-white immigrants who held full rights of citizenship in Britain were obliged to take the jobs that no one else wanted (eg. street cleaning, night-shift assembly production lines), often paid considerably less than their white counterparts. (full refs in wiki)

Its strange to think that as my mum was one of them, Powell is partially responsible for me being British

:lol:
  • Options
    Question to the mods - why has my original post in this thread been deleted?
  • Options
    To quote someone wiser than me - "the world would be a lot safer if people just gave a little bit less of a shit about things".

Immigration is largely a non-issue, we are rich, we have enough space and the numbers arent really that high. I fail to see why we complain so much.
  • Options
    The only problem i have is that the people coming into our country are not tolerany of OUR culture eg we get terrorists because of it and people do not intergrate properly. Our culture is becoming a ver mixed race society. Which i don't mind, the English people are not anglo-saxon/white anymore.

Rightly said, my cousin is in UK from last 3 years and now he make 380 pounds per day and also paying his tax and getting facilities in return but he don't try to mix with English People, and that thing i also have to admit is bad in immigrants.
  • Options
    muh.adil wrote: »
    Rightly said, my cousin is in UK from last 3 years and now he make 380 pounds per day and also paying his tax and getting facilities in return but he don't try to mix with English People, and that thing i also have to admit is bad in immigrants.

But then most Brits dont mix that well either, the idea that only immigrants 'keep to themselves' is total rubbish, especially in big cities were there isnt any community spirit.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Immigration is largely a non-issue, we are rich, we have enough space and the numbers arent really that high. I fail to see why we complain so much.

Because it gives the government something to blame other than their own incompetence in failing to deliver the services they promised. It's not the immigrant's fault that governments took so long to deliver any extra funds to deal with the sudden population increases they knew were going to happen.
  • Options
    Controlled immigration good, uncontrolled bad.

And to be fair when Migrant Watch put out figures about migration it wasn't only the Government who pooh-poohed them...
  • Options
    But then most Brits dont mix that well either, the idea that only immigrants 'keep to themselves' is total rubbish, especially in big cities were there isnt any community spirit.

All migrants do this, especially Brits abroad. I was watching one of those Ibiza programmes on Bravo (while searching for an arts documentary :blush: ) and wondered how people would react if foreigners on holiday in this country acted like we do. And lets not even get into football fans.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    All migrants do this, especially Brits abroad. I was watching one of those Ibiza programmes on Bravo (while searching for an arts documentary :blush: ) and wondered how people would react if foreigners on holiday in this country acted like we do. And lets not even get into football fans.
    Exactly. There are few things in life as deliciously ironic as the Letters page on the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday.

An ever-present theme is the irate couple who, fed up with Britain ''going to the dogs'' with all that multiculturalism and immigrants not adapting to the culture of the country, write to the paper to declare they've had enough and will be packing their bags and moving to Spain.

Needless to say the immense majority of such people end up in one of the hundreds of British ghettoes that blight the Spanish coastline, each one feauturing British pubs and British-branded supermarkets only, and where nobody speaks the local language.

As a certain Mail columnist would put it, you couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    That is a fair point, if you are going to move here you should roughly accept the laws and customs.

But, lets not forget that we do a pretty good job of being anti-social ourselves, most of our town centres on Friday and Saturday nights are horrid not because of immigrants but because of Brits drinking too much.
  • Options
    That is a fair point, if you are going to move here you should roughly accept the laws and customs.

But, lets not forget that we do a pretty good job of being anti-social ourselves, most of our town centres on Friday and Saturday nights are horrid not because of immigrants but because of Brits drinking too much.

The problem with the first point is if immigrants adopt the second point ;)
  • Options
    The only problem i have is that the people coming into our country are not tolerany of OUR culture eg we get terrorists because of it and people do not intergrate properly. Our culture is becoming a ver mixed race society. Which i don't mind, the English people are not anglo-saxon/white anymore.
    I agree with English/British people not being entirely white anymore...

BUT unless I'm mistaken, the terrorists who blew up the underground were second/third generations to have lived here, not immigrants. Also the IRA... Weren't some of them from Belfast?

As for integrating properly... How do you define when somebody has integrated to the required standard?
  • Options
    Well, soem cultures have asuch a different view on lifestyles. The religous texts say not to drink and for women not to dress so..... revealing and act in certain ways.

It's sov astly different i can see where the resentment might come from.
    Resentment on whose part?

:confused:
  • Options
    TBH Matt I resent many of your views and I'm "british"...
  • Options
    From other cultures who believe drinking, sex and other parts of our culture is sinful, so i can see how someone with those views might resent people like me.
    Do you have many Muslim friends?

I do... And they don't resent people "like me" (though what do you mean people like you?).

At least not my friends... However, I cannot speak for them, but only as a white British person and interacting with them. I think the only people who are able to judge whether or not they like somebody... Is themselves.

You can easily believe that an act is amoral, whilst still loving the person. I don't see how you can make a generalisation.

Religious texts are open to interpretation, many religions teach people not to judge. If you are in any way referring to terrorism... Well, that is far more complex than just disliking British culture.
  • Options
    I live in a close knit ex mining town where everyone knows everyone, but in recent months we've had a sudden surge of polish and chinese coming in. It can be quite strange when you can be walking around and don't always hear english being spoken anymore. I can see the pros and cons, my town also has a high unemployment rate due to there not being much here, lots of old people etc. So there's the pro that they take up the jobs that people won't do, but then it also seems to create a drift as no one seems to know what to say or how to integrate.
  • Options
    But it's a fact many Muslims and other religions dislike Western culture because we go against their strong teachings.
    Uhm... Evidence for that?

Some quite possibly do... But it isn't black and white...

Is there a point to saying this?
    Like i said, i wish more people could be tolerant of our culture or at least update their texts for modern society, because it does cause friction.
    Again... What is your point?

Should the whole world modify their beliefs to fit our standards? Are 'we' right and not 'them'?

And tolerance goes both ways.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    but then it also seems to create a drift as no one seems to know what to say or how to integrate.

But how long have these immigrants been around?

The same happened where I'm from where people came not only as asylum seekers (they were Iraqi Kurds), but also to work. My town was previously working class and white and people accused the 'foreigners' of not trying to integrate (amongst other things).

The fact is though, that 'integration' (by which I mean mixing and practicing our way of life) cannot happen properly if British people are not accepting too. Tbh... I would be wary of integrating in some parts of the UK because of the BNP presence. Also... To be fair, the UK can be a culture shock as well.

Still not really sure as to what people mean by integration though.
  • Options
    I guess it depends what we mean by integration. We shouldn't expect anyone to ditch their religion and become Christian just because it is the dominant religion here. Stupid at it seems to most of us, if some women wish to become ninja lookalikes and wear head-to-toe black garments because of their religion, it is not our place to say they shouldn't wear it.

Having said that, they should learn English and compromise on some things- for instance if they have to take their veil off for some security checks, or to have a passport or driving licence photograph taken, then so be it.

And I would certainly wouldn't allow mosques to play calls to prayer through loudspeakers. I've been in Middle Eastern countries and if you happen to be reasonably near to a mosque (not difficult over there) there is nothing more infuriating than getting woken up at 4.30 am, and once or twice more before you get out of bed, by prayers broadcast through loudspeakers. It's bad enough with church bells.
  • Options

Try to keep on topic, we're talking about people in our own country.

Then try to be less ambiguous and more intelligent with what you write... Maybe people won't read in to it too much.
  • Options
    Censorship has exploded because we are tolerant. Schools are forced not to say certain words in classes and we have to make rooms available for people to pray in.
    If we're not using them, then what is the problem?
    I mean, the people in another certain country were calling for an English teachers head to be cut off because she called the teddy bear Muhammed.
    That's why their texts need to be updated for modern society. Christians had to do it because it said things like throwing your daughter to be raped by the mob to save a priest.
    To be honest... You just sound like you're making huge generalisations here.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Uhm... Evidence for that?
    You want some evidence that Western culture goes against the strong teachings of Islam?

Ok...

In Western culture our 'normal' working hours are Mon-Fri, 9-5 (give or take). A pious Muslim however would want the friday off (or half of it) to pray his friday prayer.

A pious Muslim requires more breaks than other employees especially during the winter months so that he can perform his prayers. He will have to perform up to 3 prayers during office hours (this includes the ablution too).

If tomorrow we discovered a method of animal slaughter which is more humane than what is currently practised (which is quite likely after watching Michael Portillos 'execution' programme), then common sense would tell us that all other methods of animal slaughter (eg halal/kosher) should be BANNED. But as we all know, the mere suggestion of banning halal/kosher slaughter would cause a huge uproar and cries of 'demonisation' and 'victimisation'.

A Muslim man has the right to marry up to 4 wives. In many countries with a larger Muslim minority, there is a separate law for Muslims which allows them to do this (eg, India). Should we allow this to happen here too? It is their religious right afterall.

A Muslim man has the right to beat his wife if he fears disloyalty as per Quran 4:34. In our culture, this is domestic abuse and the man would be prosecuted for this.
    In Germany a Muslim womans request for a speedy divorce on the grounds that her husband beat her was turned down because the judge cited that Quranic verse. SOURCE.
    This happend in GERMANY, ie on our EU doorstep. In the Muslim world of course, it's more common.

^ That's all just off the top of my head. I might edit this post and add some more things.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    You want some evidence that Western culture goes against the strong teachings of Islam?

Ok...

In Western culture our 'normal' working hours are Mon-Fri, 9-5 (give or take). A pious Muslim however would want the friday off (or half of it) to pray his friday prayer.

A pious Muslim requires more breaks than other employees especially during the winter months so that he can perform his prayers. He will have to perform up to 3 prayers during office hours (this includes the ablution too).

I know that the Western culture isn't compatible with a lot of Islamic beliefs. But it is nice to hear an intelligent contribution as to why it is so. :)

There are problems with multiculturalism, I agree.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    A Muslim man has the right to marry up to 4 wives. In many countries with a larger Muslim minority, there is a separate law for Muslims which allows them to do this (eg, India). Should we allow this to happen here too? It is their religious right afterall.
    Who said that? :confused:
    A Muslim man has the right to beat his wife if he fears disloyalty as per Quran 4:34. In our culture, this is domestic abuse and the man would be prosecuted for this.
    In Germany a Muslim womans request for a speedy divorce on the grounds that her husband beat her was turned down because the judge cited this Quranic verse. SOURCE.
    This happend in GERMANY, ie on our EU doorstep. In the Muslim world of course, its more common.
    Yes it is... The majority of countries violate the rights of women (I mean mostly rights set out in CEDAW). Again nobody is saying that we should allow domestic violence to happen. There are and always will be clashed between what people claim as group rights and individual rights.

But that is not to do entirely with integration, it is to do with the legal system too. Do you know a great deal about domestic violence and divorce laws in Germany?

I actually worry about the impact of multiculturalism on women's rights in the UK (am doing a dissertation on it), as well as on gay rights, but people should also understand that it is the courts too which can discriminate against women, or undermine how serious rape and domestic violence are.
  • Options
    Like i said, i wish more people could be tolerant of our culture or at least update their texts for modern society, because it does cause friction.
    I seriously doubt that religions could be persuaded to update their texts. They see what's written in various books of worship as the word of God - they're unlikely to want to tamper with it.

The problem doesn't really come from immigrants. No, the real problem comes from aggressive atheist retards, who fail to see they're actually fanning the flames of religious extremism. By that, I'm talking about morons such as the National Secular Society. (yes, the very same organisation that I recently massacred for nicking articles from the Grauniad newspaper) They're the ones who are really causing the problem.
  • Options
    I started this thread because i was just wondering why British media and opposition parties are shouting against immigration, and it was quite pleasing th hear that most of the people here have no problem with immigration but they wanted immigrant to mix with their society and culture.

One thing which i think British people are right about that if Govt allow immigration then they should also have to upgrade its system so that it can handle problems which would occur as the result of this.

And then this thread lose its whole purpose and it went all to the discussion of religions, how much religion is cause of problem that people are not able to mix with each other bla bla bla.

I think its very easy to say to some one that leave your religion or in other words leave the core things which your religion say and mix with this new culture. When i was leaving religion it was very painful period (even though my decision was intentionally) and if you say someone to throw its religion on one side it will not be possible for her/her. So its not what we should discuss here because it has many dimensions why people don't mix with new culture or they find it difficult to mix. I will also be immigrant next year:) and i also feel very strongly that it will not be easy for me to mix with new culture even though i have no religious attachment but culture is always stronger that religion and i will come with my culture so it will not be easy.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that religions could be persuaded to update their texts. They see what's written in various books of worship as the word of God - they're unlikely to want to tamper with it.
    Well not only that, but people interpret religious texts differently.

In the Old Testament, it's a sin to plant mixed crops, to eat shellfish, apparently also to wear mixed fibres (or so I remember from back in the day), but religious texts do change, in synch with changes in power structures and in the interests of the elites.

The Bible has been 'updated' several times and interpreted in so many ways and hence there are several denominations, including (unless I'm mistaken) Gnostic Christians, who follow the Nag Hammadi texts which were removed at the Council of Nicea.
    The problem doesn't really come from immigrants. No, the real problem comes from aggressive atheist retards, who fail to see they're actually fanning the flames of religious extremism. By that, I'm talking about morons such as the National Secular Society.
    People are causing the problems imo... They are just using religion, or lack thereof as a shitty excuse to harm others, same with politics.

If we weren't persecuting each other for religion, nationality, skin colour, sexual orientation or gender identities we'd be killing each other over eye colour, or wavy hair. We'll always find an excuse.

People can look outside the box if they want... A view too narrow of people's relationships with religion often assumes that there is a uniform way of thinking... When religion can be more holistic to the individual, at least on a personal level.

Don't know if atheism aggravates religious extremism, but I think of lot of atheists could do well by giving their superiority complex a check... And that's rich coming from a grumpy feminazi culture-snob like me.LOL :razz:
  • Options
    muh.adil wrote: »
    I started this thread because i was just wondering why British media and opposition parties are shouting against immigration, and it was quite pleasing th hear that most of the people here have no problem with immigration but they wanted immigrant to mix with their society and culture.

One thing which i think British people are right about that if Govt allow immigration then they should also have to upgrade its system so that it can handle problems which would occur as the result of this.

And then this thread lose its whole purpose and it went all to the discussion of religions, how much religion is cause of problem that people are not able to mix with each other bla bla bla.

I think its very easy to say to some one that leave your religion or in other words leave the core things which your religion say and mix with this new culture. When i was leaving religion it was very painful period (even though my decision was intentionally) and if you say someone to throw its religion on one side it will not be possible for her/her. So its not what we should discuss here because it has many dimensions why people don't mix with new culture or they find it difficult to mix. I will also be immigrant next year:) and i also feel very strongly that it will not be easy for me to mix with new culture even though i have no religious attachment but culture is always stronger that religion and i will come with my culture so it will not be easy.
    Religion is very personal (I left the church at sixteen because I had a breakdown and lost my faith... It can be scary and leave oneself feeling vulnerable... Is it different with islam?)... It is pretty arrogant for people to want those in culture groups to conform if they are not hurting people.

What background are you from?

I think a lot of people get angry about immigration because they are scared of losing what they already know and the security they always had in the marketplace. There's more competition and as much as I hate to stereotype, with people who will do the shitty jobs for lower wages than British people will. Unfortunately, the papers blame immigrants, when a lot of the time it is changes in the economy which is losing people jobs.

People are scared of what's different and it probably goes every way possible. It must be difficult for people to conform to new cultures and I really really feel for refugees and asylum seekers who come here to escape persecution or war and then are given shit by British people and 'our' media. Some people hardly even know anything about Britain's history, its politics, it's culture (though what is British culture?) and then expect other people to act like them... Even more annoying... People who get pissed off at a corner shop, a Polish food store or a take away as if they're killing our culture... Then go off and eat at Macdonalds.:mad:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    People can look outside the box if they want... A view too narrow of people's relationships with religion often assumes that there is a uniform way of thinking... When religion can be more holistic to the individual, at least on a personal level.
    I don't like people who try to shove religion down other's faces. My view is religion is something private and down to the individual. Basically, religion is about restraint, discipline and helping others - every quality that aggressive atheists (who are usually also the most miserable, robotic Lefties known to man) hate. More about that in a moment.
    Don't know if atheism aggravates religious extremism, but I think of lot of atheists could do well by giving their superiority complex a check...
    The reason that aggressive atheists are mocked so fervently by people such as myself is because of the company they keep. Let's have a look at the National Secular Society, for example. One of their "honourary associates" (as if there's any honour in being associated with rabble like that) is Polly Toynbee, the unbelievably awful columnist at The Grauniad newspaper. What serious person would want to be associated with a creep like that? It doesn't help atheists one bit that the most aggressive of them are also miserable Lefties who nobody likes. They complain relentlessly that Islam and Christanity are both "intolerant". Look in the mirror, you fucking hypocrites!

On the subject itself, immigrants aren't a problem. It's just the numbers that could potentially be a problem. It doesn't help one bit that every time the Government releases numbers about this subject, there are accusations flying around within literally a few minutes that ministers have been cooking the books. Ministers could help themselves by actually being honest about it, and leaving the job of finding the numbers to an independent body.