Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dole Or No Dole?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here is my idea for a new day time TV show:
It would be a game show and the contestants would be risk taking spongers.
The contestants have to get through the 21 Job Seekers interviewers without resorting to bad language, raising their voice or violence otherwise ......no dole!
If they pass then they get 6 months free benefits without hassle of it being cut provided they at least say they've been to an interview or can't work due to anger management issues or a flare up of acne.
Would this be a great game show? I was thinking Dole Edmonds could present or Jeremy Kyle or even Trisha.
it would be an equal opportunities game show if it gets the nod.
Oh wait....this would be more of a reality show rather than a game show, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, I think anyone who has been on benefits for 6 months plus should be assigned to work for the council in whichever borough they reside and reduce our council taxes. The promotion and encouragement of disfunction by our government is the reason that the whole world wants to come to our once lovely country for a free ride.
Discuss.
I await the flaming wrath of the holier-than-thou and the lefties :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, here is my own idea for a new daytime TV show:

It would be a game show and the contestants would be know-nothing whingers who spend too much time reading tabloid newspapers. The contestants have to get through 21 posts on TheSite.org without resorting to bad language, raising their voice or violence, otherwise they lose all the prize money! If they pass, they get 6 months worth of copies of the Daily Mail for free, all without hassle, and no risk of this being stopped. This, of course, is assuming that for the whole duration, you say you can't work because you're too depressed about the state of the country after reading this bollocks.

Would this be a great game show. I was thinking Dole Edmonds could present or Jeremy Kyle or even Trisha. It certainly wouldn't be an equal opportunities game show if it gets the nod, as the original poster doesn't seem to believe in that. And depressingly for all of us, this would not only be a reality show, but it's one that already exists.
    Tribal wrote: »
    I happen to be one of the most Right-wing of all the posters on here, and even I think your views are igorant and borderline on being ludicrous. This board is stuffed to the rafters with lefties. You have been warned.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I think your views are igorant and borderline on being ludicrous.
    Would you like to explain why my plan to get layabouts working and contributing to society would fail?
    I think it is the perfect solution especially in these times of rising council tax bills.
    I thought you ment the fruit :blush:
    I thought you ment the fruit :blush:

:yes: whats the best tinned pineapple
    Would you like to explain why my plan to get layabouts working and contributing to society would fail? I think it is the perfect solution especially in these times of rising council tax bills.
    What makes you think councils can take on all of the unemloyed? Let me give you an example. Right now, my local council is in deep shit. A huge investigation in the late 1990s has revealed that they were underpaying women for doing similar jobs to men*. This is not unique to my own council - several local authorities in the UK are in trouble over this. As a result, they're now having to pay money to all the women who they have calculated are owed it. My local council could end up having to pay back up to £20million. This is quite a lot for many authorities. That, according to the council chief, could force many of the smallest councils in the country into bankruptcy. Given that many councils are now having to deal with this, how on earth are they supposed to take on yet more staff? You fail to realise that your solution would push up council bills (up at least 70% since Labour came to power, incidentally) massively.

I agree that the unemployed need to have some direction in their lives. A life without work is not a life at all, if you ask me. But forcing councils into taking them on just won't work.

*I'll post some links about this story in a little while, if anyone fancies finding out more.
    I just think you don't know how to think for yourself, could you not find anything better to get upset about?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Here is my idea for a Daytime Reality TV quiz show:

You get all the people who created, host, go on, watch, and are generally assocaited with terrible daytime TV shows and reality TV and annoying quiz shows, and you ask them questions.

If they get it wrong, they get shot. The questions will be obscure, geeky, and difficult. The real kicker is, even if they survive and get them all right, they get shot at the end!
    *canned laughter*
    That's it for this post, till next time!:wave:
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What makes you think councils can take on all of the unemloyed? Let me give you an example. Right now, my local council is in deep shit. A huge investigation in the late 1990s has revealed that they were underpaying women for doing similar jobs to men*. This is not unique to my own council - several local authorities in the UK are in trouble over this. As a result, they're now having to pay money to all the women who they have calculated are owed it. My local council could end up having to pay back up to £20million. This is quite a lot for many authorities. That, according to the council chief, could force many of the smallest councils in the country into bankruptcy. Given that many councils are now having to deal with this, how on earth are they supposed to take on yet more staff? You fail to realise that your solution would push up council bills (up at least 70% since Labour came to power, incidentally) massively.

I agree that the unemployed need to have some direction in their lives. A life without work is not a life at all, if you ask me. But forcing councils into taking them on just won't work.

*I'll post some links about this story in a little while, if anyone fancies finding out more.

But the council wouldn't have to pay them a penny, they would be working for their Dole, albeit just one or 2 days a week.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Here is my idea for a Daytime Reality TV quiz show:

You get all the people who created, host, go on, watch, and are generally assocaited with terrible daytime TV shows and reality TV and annoying quiz shows, and you ask them questions.

If they get it wrong, they get shot. The questions will be obscure, geeky, and difficult. The real kicker is, even if they survive and get them all right, they get shot at the end!
    *canned laughter*
    That's it for this post, till next time!:wave:

:lol:
    That could work!!
    But the council wouldn't have to pay them a penny, they would be working for their Dole, albeit just one or 2 days a week.
    But we have some kind of working scheme in existence already. If I remember correctly, when you've been on JSA for 6 months, you have to do the New Deal programme. I believe that involves doing a work placement. That's effectively what you're proposing.

So you want to take jobs away from genuine hard working people just to give people on benefits something to do? Maybe cleaning the streets could be an actual job for someone, rather than a punishment for not working? And then we would generate taxes from the wages of the person doing it. I'm sure you'd love it if you were made redundant because the council could get people to do your job for free.
    I was on jobseekers for a year and I'm not a sponger. It's actually quite difficult to get into a job when you're unemployed. Probably doesn't help when you're demotivated and everyone thinks you must be scrounging off other people's money.
    I do think people should be in voluntary jobs at least though, to build up their CV's, confidence, motivation and so they can sell themselves a bit to prospective employers.
    I'd like to start a TV show of my own called Scum or not Scum, where tax avoiders and dodgers try to justify their greed-driven, morally abhorrent efforts to pay far less tax than they should by exploiting loopholes, lying and deceiving.

If found guilty they would then be fined 10 times the estimated amount they have cheated the public coffers out of, and be publicly lambasted in the press as they deserve.

And at Christmas we could have Celebrity Scum or not Scum, when well-known public figures who are the first to moan about benefit cheats robbing this country try to defend their actions and if they fail to do so they are locked up and have their businesses impounded by the Treasury. Rupert Murdoch would certainly be one to be invited to the programme.
    Sod that Aladdin, we could commission a series following on from Michael Portillo's excellent Horizon programme on the death penalty.

Get a fat cat banker, or a cabinet Minister, or a private equity fraudster, and use them to test the ideal way of executing someone. Of course painful mistakes will be made, but that's all part of the enjoyment.

I wouldn't take their possessions and give them to the Treasury though- they're the biggest wastrels of the lot.

Let's start with Tessa Jowell getting boiled alive!
    If the local authority has work that needs doing perhaps they could employ the staff from the ramks of the unemployed and pay them a wage.

Wow, I'm a political genius me :hyper:
    So you want to take jobs away from genuine hard working people just to give people on benefits something to do? Maybe cleaning the streets could be an actual job for someone, rather than a punishment for not working? And then we would generate taxes from the wages of the person doing it. I'm sure you'd love it if you were made redundant because the council could get people to do your job for free.
    :yes:

People who are already working would probably have their jobs taken away to cut back on spending.

If you want to talk about saving money, maybe we should be taxing the rich more and holding those who dodge tax more accountable.
    the problem with this site is that there are to many people that seem to think anyone that has done well in life and made some money is evil, and that anyone without a job and no money is like that because of the rich and not because most of them are lazzy low lifes
    Territt wrote: »
    the problem with this site is that there are to many people that seem to think anyone that has done well in life and made some money is evil, and that anyone without a job and no money is like that because of the rich and not because most of them are lazzy low lifes
    Piss off with your idiotic generalisations
    :rolleyes:
    ha
    Namaste wrote: »

If you want to talk about saving money, maybe we should be taxing the rich more.

Why? historically it's never actually worked in increasing tax incomes and has only reduced standards of living for everyone
    and holding those who dodge tax more accountable

How can they be held more accountable than jail?
    Here is my idea for a new day time TV show:
    It would be a game show and the contestants would be risk taking spongers.
    The contestants have to get through the 21 Job Seekers interviewers without resorting to bad language, raising their voice or violence otherwise ......no dole!
    If they pass then they get 6 months free benefits without hassle of it being cut provided they at least say they've been to an interview or can't work due to anger management issues or a flare up of acne.
    Would this be a great game show? I was thinking Dole Edmonds could present or Jeremy Kyle or even Trisha.
    it would be an equal opportunities game show if it gets the nod.
    Oh wait....this would be more of a reality show rather than a game show, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, I think anyone who has been on benefits for 6 months plus should be assigned to work for the council in whichever borough they reside and reduce our council taxes. The promotion and encouragement of disfunction by our government is the reason that the whole world wants to come to our once lovely country for a free ride.
    Discuss.

LOLZROFLMAO u sed DOLE Edmonds!!1

You totally sussed out the average - nay, every single - jobseeker past and present forever. It's some real deep thinking that you don't see very often, too, especially the references to violence and acne that had me guffawing about the-office-where-I-do-loads-of-work-and-don't-scrounge-off-the-government for at least seventeen hours. It's equally nice and unprecedented that someone's finally sticking it to The Lefties and the God-given wrath of those holier-than-thou punks, thereby implicitly shielding your argument from any criticism because it obviously just comes from those undistinguished parties. They've had it coming for so long now, The Lefties, sitting in their glass houses at the top of my street, on the dole, high-fiving Muslims, throwing stones...

*yawn*

Do I think that Rupert Murdoch is more evil than my little old lady client who had her benefit stopped because the DWP decided that she could work, despite being arthritic and agoraphobic? Damn fucking right I do.

You totally sussed out the average - nay, every single - jobseeker past and present forever. It's some real deep thinking that you don't see very often, too, especially the references to violence and acne that had me guffawing about the-office-where-I-do-loads-of-work-and-don't-scrounge-off-the-government for at least seventeen hours. It's equally nice and unprecedented that someone's finally sticking it to The Lefties and the God-given wrath of those holier-than-thou punks, thereby implicitly shielding your argument from any criticism because it obviously just comes from those undistinguished parties. They've had it coming for so long now, The Lefties, sitting in their glass houses at the top of my street, on the dole, high-fiving Muslims, throwing stones...

Good post. Excellent critique of his opening post and added points for humour. A+
    Kermit wrote: »
    Do I think that Rupert Murdoch is more evil than my little old lady client who had her benefit stopped because the DWP decided that she could work, despite being arthritic and agoraphobic? Damn fucking right I do.

personally I don't think either is evil....
    They've had it coming for so long now, The Lefties, sitting in their glass houses at the top of my street, on the dole, high-fiving Muslims, throwing stones...

Don't wanna be a bum
    You better chew gum
    The pump don't work
    'Cause the vandals took the handles

:sour:
    Why? historically it's never actually worked in increasing tax incomes and has only reduced standards of living for everyone
    Why?
    How can they be held more accountable than jail?

I meant more... People who avoid tax, not punishment.

:lol:

A lot of people are in the shit because of the rich... I wouldn't call them evil though.

I think anyone who is prepared to slander all and sundry, post blatant racist lies, and renounce their citizenship for profit is certain callous, calculating and rather sinister.

Evil is just useful shorthand, seeing as my new year's resolution was to use the c-word less;)
    Maybe evil is the wrong word, but you don't really see something very wrong with Murdoch using all sorts of schemes to deprive this country of hundreds of millions of tax every year while demonising benefit cheats?

It's not about benefit cheats not deserving demonising incidentally- it's about the man doing the demonising being a far bigger thief and cheat, and costing far more money to the coffers.

And in addition this is the man who is not even British and does not live in this country but still feels he should decide how the country should be run and uses his newspapers' power to blackmail the Prime Minister of this country to do his bidding.

As I said, evil might not be the right term, but if you don't think there is something very wrong with that despicable man, then I guess you're not as moderate and reasonable as I took you for.