Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Engagement parties

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you have been/are engaged did you have an engagement party? Did you have a diso?

I dont quite know what the point in them is?:confused: I only know one person who has had an engagement party. I would like one, but is it just an excuise to have a party?

Comments

• Options
    All a bit wank, IMO. One bloke I know has been engaged 4 times, each time having a big party and getting loads of presents. He is currently single. Again.

:lol:
  • Options
    My mum did mention having one but given that our families (and friends) are scattered all over the world, it would have been impractical. If you want one though, have one, why do you need an excuse for a party :p?
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I would like one, but is it just an excuise to have a party?

:yes:

But there are sillier excuses for a party.

As long as you're not expecting presents, don't see why anyone should have a problem with it?
  • Options
    I don't get the point of it. But then again, I do not get the point of using the term "engaged", surely as long as you don't have a piece of paper saying you're married then it is the same as being with your partner under regular circumstances...? Probably just me though.
  • Options
    When my sisters got enganged they didn't have parties. Though saying that one got engaged while travelling around Australia and the other ran off the gretna (sp?!) green so :chin: But I doubt they would have had one anyway.
    I don't think I would have one, I would probably just have a meal with mine and his family :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    As long as you're not expecting presents, don't see why anyone should have a problem with it?

I wont be expecting pressies, I do like the idea of a party - all our family, having a good time etc. I dunno, got to think of the place to have it aswell, I know someone who had one at a bar and it was quite boring, no music. I'd like a disco but is a dico abit OTT?!

I thought about maybe having it in a pub or a comunity centre?

Urghhhh, I dont no!?:eek:
  • Options
    Sounds like a nice idea, something to look back on when you're about 70.

You're only engaged once (hopefully) so there's no harm in it really.
  • Options
    I went to my cousin's engagement party last year.. it was basically a disco with a buffet....
    I'd like an engagement party when I get engaged, it'd be a classy affair with a swing/jazz band, canapes and champagne and adults only, not a kids disco with ham sandwiches haha.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a disco with a buffet.
  • Options
    I don't see the point. The wedding is the party!
  • Options
    my brother had one..it was in his fiance's garden during summer with friends and family..and party food! really nice
  • Options
    my mate had one :) It was a top night
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    my mate had one :) It was a top night
    Ask me to marry you Simon and we'll have one <33
  • Options
    We had one, of sorts. Invited everyone to our local pub which is all twee and rustic and we made the announcement before having a good ole shindig. The landlord is a mate of his so it was all done out in twinkly fairy lights and helium heart balloons all that supposedly romantic codswallop :razz: A+ for effort I must say!

Was quite nice, though, got everyone together (well not everyone but near as dammit) got our gladrags on and shared our happy news. Was very sweet because most people didn't know, it was the announcement aspect of it that I liked. I had already made the pregnancy announcement at that point so people had probably put 2 and 2 together but nevermind.

Hmm, what else? Couldn't get drunk as was pregnant at the time, which meant I had to listen - stone cold sober - to all the heartfelt and rambling congratulations and "eeh, well I never"s. Who knew people being happy for you could be so... time-consuming? ;) In seriousness, it was a lovely thing, and since we had such a private, intimate wedding ceremony it was the right thing to do in retrospect.
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    Ask me to marry you Simon and we'll have one <33

MARRY ME LISA :heart::heart::heart::heart:
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    MARRY ME LISA :heart::heart::heart::heart:
    Right P-A-R-T-Y time!

Then I'll dump you.

Hahah dump. :(
  • Options
    i didnt have a party - but then i didnt get married!
  • Options
    Don't see the point. Certainly wouldn't give anybody a gift for inviting me to one although I'd probably show up if I had time to.