Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

he loves me but he won't leave his girlfriend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't really know what to do, I feel like I'm at the end of my tether. I met this guy last term at uni, and he has a girlfriend of 2 and a half years. He's friends with my housemates, and we hit it off really well, like amazingly well. I've never felt this kind of connection with anyone, and it seemed like we were getting a little closer than just friends, so I confronted him about it and he told me he was really torn, and that he was completely and utterly in love with me. And we ended up kissing the day afterwards.

I've spent the past week talking to him every day, going over stuff with him and he said he was going to see his girlfriend Saturday and talk things over with her and see how it goes. He then texted me yesterday saying they had a talk and were going to try and work on their relationship, and that he hasn't told her about me.

I don't want to sound selfish or biased, but from everything he says it sounds like he's fundamentally unhappy with his girlfriend, and that they don't have any chemistry. And he's been so honest with me about everything I'm finding it hard to accept that he's making the right decision, and that he's not just doing it because he's scared of hurting her/leaving a long term relationship. And it's also really difficult for me because he's gone on about how amazing I am and how I'm more than he could have wished for in his wildest dreams, and I just don't understand how he could give that up.

Nobody's in my house today, and I've woken up feeling incredibly alone and depressed and I basically just have no idea what to do. I doubt anyone can even help really, I just needed to get that out.

I'm wondering if going to the doctor's might be a good idea. I've felt depressed since Christmas, and I'm worried it won't go away and I have uni work to do and can't motivate myself to do it. I don't want to mess everything up.. :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my advice is dont be anyones other woman. Youre worth ore than that.

If he wants you he needs to make his mind up. I think he thinks that because youve been seeing him so far without him breaking up his other relationship, then he can carry on like that. Hes a cheater and hes spinning you a line unfortunately.
    You need to be very strong and tell him that if he wants to stay with his other girlfriend then he cant have you as well.
    If its really as bad as he makes out with the other girl, and so good with you, then he'll break up with her.

Hugs.
    Well, theres nothing you can do really. Except make sure he doesnt get the best of both worlds coz if he does they why is he going to leave her? stop speaking to him if you have to.
    if you want him to leave his g/f for you, how can you ever be sure he won't be leaving you prematurely for another woman?
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    if you want him to leave his g/f for you, how can you ever be sure he won't be leaving you prematurely for another woman?

It's a very fair point. But, I'm not turning round and telling him that he HAS to leave his girlfriend for me. Basically I have faith in the fact that he's been really honest with me from the start, and I have with him, and I just want him to be happy. And from everything he's told me, he seems like he would be unhappy with her in the long run, and is happy when he's with me. I think if he ended up with me we would be able to have a very honest relationship, because we've been nothing but honest with each other since the day we met.

I think another problem is that he is really really scared of breaking up with her, I think he's afraid of what she might do if he dumped her (i.e. self harm). I think she's quite delicate and easily upset.

He told me he was on the verge of dumping her this weekend, but didn't, and that he wants to see how the next couple of weeks go. But I'm thinking, if he didn't have the courage to finish it this weekend, then will he ever?

Gah. This is such a horrible situation.
    In my experience, if they don't leave the girlfriend straight away, they're never going to.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but he sounds to me like he's having his classic brand of cake and eating it. I would suggest leaving well alone, cause somewhere along the line, a heart is going to get broken, and unfortunately I strongly suspect it's going to be yours.
    Yeah I know, obviously that looks like a strong possibility. The thing is though, that I would still like to be friends with him even if that happened. So I'm keeping my distance these 2 weeks, but have told him I'll be there for him if he needs to chat. I now that might sounds insanely stupid... but we get on well as friends, and he'll still be coming to visit me and my housemates (cos he's friends with them), and so I don't want to just cut everything off completely, if that makes sense?

Guess I just have to be really careful this week...
    xxx
    ryoko_rock wrote: »
    , I'm not turning round and telling him that he HAS to leave his girlfriend for me.

Why not? Are you not worth being someones one and only, or are you ok with being his bit on the side.

You think hes being honest with you, but you dont know that. He could be saying the same shit to his other girlfriend very very easily.
    I don't really know what to do, I feel like I'm at the end of my tether. I met this guy last term at uni, and he has a girlfriend of 2 and a half years. He's friends with my housemates, and we hit it off really well, like amazingly well. I've never felt this kind of connection with anyone, and it seemed like we were getting a little closer than just friends, so I confronted him about it and he told me he was really torn, and that he was completely and utterly in love with me. And we ended up kissing the day afterwards.

I've spent the past week talking to him every day, going over stuff with him and he said he was going to see his girlfriend Saturday and talk things over with her and see how it goes. He then texted me yesterday saying they had a talk and were going to try and work on their relationship, and that he hasn't told her about me.

I don't want to sound selfish or biased, but from everything he says it sounds like he's fundamentally unhappy with his girlfriend, and that they don't have any chemistry. And he's been so honest with me about everything I'm finding it hard to accept that he's making the right decision, and that he's not just doing it because he's scared of hurting her/leaving a long term relationship. And it's also really difficult for me because he's gone on about how amazing I am and how I'm more than he could have wished for in his wildest dreams, and I just don't understand how he could give that up.

Nobody's in my house today, and I've woken up feeling incredibly alone and depressed and I basically just have no idea what to do. I doubt anyone can even help really, I just needed to get that out.

I'm wondering if going to the doctor's might be a good idea. I've felt depressed since Christmas, and I'm worried it won't go away and I have uni work to do and can't motivate myself to do it. I don't want to mess everything up.. :crying:

He won't leave her. Reading your post was a scary deja-vu of me for the past couple months. He says he will, he won't. Trust me it's the exact same scenario - I've also been feeling low over it over xmas and considered seeing a doc. He also said "Give me a few weeks". He even said he was worth the wait. I then finally asked for the truth and he said "Let's just be friends".I said fine and I've not heard from him since. To be honest, however much I would like to think we're friends, I know that we were closer than that and I know that we've come so close after expressing that we've been feeling so much for each other, it's just too hard to see him just a friend and not envying his girlfriend.
    So he says he's going to split up from his girlfriend. Oh, look at that, I can see a pig flying through the sky...

It's not going to happen. Don't wait around for this loser.
    As othas have said dont be any1s bit on the side you deserve better than that,you've gotta watch your back cause no matter how honest you think he has been and how much of a connection you've got with this guy you dont know exactley what he's saying to his gf,fair enough he could be scared to break up with her for whateva reason but remember it's easy to say he wants to break up with his gf to you but when it cums down to it nothing happins.
    I think your best bet would be to take a back seat let him get on with whateva he wants as in you or gf,if you 2 do have a connection and he wants you it will happin he will break up with gf,but if you let him have his cake and eat it he wont eva break up with his gf,why would he?
    Thanks everyone, and thank you for all your advice. I've decided to send him an email today and explain that I'm going to give him space for the next few weeks, and let him get on with working out stuff with his girlfriend. That way, I don't have to continue speaking to him and seeing him and getting myself entangled further, and it gives him the space to decide what he wants to do. He's an adult, he can make his own decisions. Then at the end of it, if he stays with her, I'm more prepared for it, and if he doesn't then I will see him as a friend, and see where things go from there. But I will definitely be wary!
    Thanks everyone, and thank you for all your advice. I've decided to send him an email today and explain that I'm going to give him space for the next few weeks, and let him get on with working out stuff with his girlfriend. That way, I don't have to continue speaking to him and seeing him and getting myself entangled further, and it gives him the space to decide what he wants to do. He's an adult, he can make his own decisions. Then at the end of it, if he stays with her, I'm more prepared for it, and if he doesn't then I will see him as a friend, and see where things go from there. But I will definitely be wary!

Sounds like a good thing to do; it can be difficult to cut off contact altogether with someone you care about even if you know it would really be for the best.
    I'd agree with the other posts written that you deserve better than someone who won't commit to you. And also, I don't think in the long run that it wouldn't be good to get involved with someone who can kiss another girl whilst still going out with someone else; however honest he is about it.

You mentioned maybe going to the doctors about feeling depressed... Sounds like a good idea; just go and have a chat about how you're feeling and they might be able to help out somehow.

Good luck with everything.
  • TashJTashJ Posts: 79 Budding Regular
    What a frustrating situation! Sounds like this guy is really confused right now, and it's making life a lot more difficult for you.

As the others have said, he's made this decision to stay in the relationship with his girlfriend and only time will tell whether it's the right decision or not. I guess at this point you need to ask whether you?re willing to wait around for him to break up with her, or whether it'll be better in the long run to try and move on. Sounds like you've made a positive step by emailing him and asking for space, and I hope it gives you both a chance to evaluate where you go from here.

It's totally understandable that a situation like this would leave you feeling down and lonely, so try and take extra care of yourself over the next few weeks. This article gives more information about depression - as Lu_C says if you think you're experiencing some of the symptoms, it might not be a bad idea to talk to a doctor or another health professional.

Take care.
    Tash
    i know exactly how u feel

sometimes, U dont understand urself when u let urself to continue this relationship when it's not even a official relationship. u r used to him, u feel empty without him, the thought of not having him kills u.
    Right at this moment, i'm hurting. I told him that he cant have 2 girls at the same time. But in this school, out of all my friends, he is like my best friend than a lover. It is just impossible not seeing him because we r in the same social group.
    I let myself go too deep although i know that there wont be anything between us in the end. I love him so much that i accept to be with him although he has a gf. HIs love, his care is just too good to not being w him.
    I will try to let him go, let myself to forget...but i just dont know how things will end up. We have been in the same circle millions times: we decided to be friend but the chemistry makes us go closer and decide to be friend again. I know that i'm hurting myself, but my heart ache more when i see him upset....becoz we decide to be friends. I really dont know wat else could I do. I just know that somehow he wont ever break up w his gf, as long as i'm w him, i'll get hurt more....but it's so difficult to forget:(
    Old post... you'll end up getting told off by other members. :)
    how would you feel roles reversed? If you had this guy, loved him, and things weren't going well at the moment with you both, you would want to work on it wouldn't you?
    This is exactly how this other girl feels. After how long they been together i'm betting she has stronger feelings and a lot of history together and loves him, she must if she really wants to save her relationship with HER man.

Back off. If he really wanted you, he would have chose you wouldn't he? and if it is a mistake he has made, time will tell because nothing is set in stone. Just be careful, make sure he actually leaves her before you do anything with him, anything. because do you really want a man that cheats? If a girl puts it on a plate so easily, no one can find out, can you blame men for cheating really when they can get the best of both worlds. He should be saying no but you shouldn't be tempting another woman's man either. picture yourself in that poor girls shoes. would you like it done back? Think of someone else this time cuz you never know it might just be you one day that goes through just that. He's made his choice, respect it. And put other peoples feelings above your own cuz i bet she feels more for him than you do, you just dont care who gets hurt as long as you get what you want. well i've been in that girls place once before, and to have the man you love taken away by a 'friend' that didn't give a crap how much pain i felt, aslong as she got him, worse feeling in the world sweetie.
    I'm sure she's made her decision by now. This was first posted last year.
This discussion has been closed.