Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weekly plan ideas

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
We are going to start planning what we have for each day of the week for tea so it is easier/cheaper and less wasteful.

The specifications are that it needs to be cheap and relatively healthy, so can you share your ideas here so I can use them forever more :)

Ta me loves

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pasta is cheap and u can have it hot or cold and if u make enough u can take it to work next day too.
  • Options
    Spag Bol/Chilli/Shepherds pie. If you make the meat sauce bit with loads of chopped veg you get a balanced tasty meal all in one and veg is far cheaper than mince, so you get loads more portions from the same quantity of mince. Chopped carrot and courgette work really well, as well as the obvious tinned tomatoes. If you quarter them length ways before slicing you get quarter round slices really easily, and the small pieces mix into the mince beautifully.

That's really badly explained, take the whole thing, then cut it in half length ways, but only about half way along, then do the same again so it's in quaters length ways, but only half way along again. The slice it like you're slicing normal circles and you get quarter circles.

Oooh, and veggie curry, yummy yummy and cheap. Generally works best to make a reasonably large amount and then freeze portion of it.
  • Options
    Jacket potatoe and Beans.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas you two - anymore at all?
  • Options
    Fajitas :yum:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Fajitas :yum:

but chicken is expensive :( so can I use anything else? I wouldnt want just veg as I dont like much of it - well I do, but not things you could put in fajitas!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    but chicken is expensive :( so can I use anything else? I wouldnt want just veg as I dont like much of it - well I do, but not things you could put in fajitas!

Steak (doesn't have to be an expensive cut)

Prawns?
  • Options
    Steak (doesn't have to be an expensive cut)

Prawns?

oooh you are clever! thanks guys.

anymore?
  • Options
    buy turkey pieces insetad of chicken, thats what I do for currys etc.

Its quite a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    Toad in the hole!
  • Options
    After making a meal, with any left over meats, cheeses or vegis you could make grilled sandwiches with them :yum:
  • Options
    thanks guys, we should have enough to keep us going, but any more ideas are very much welcomed!
  • Options
    Soups too. Lots are so cheap to make and they make alot so you can freeze the leftovers and eat them 2 or 3 more times!
  • Options
    Soups too. Lots are so cheap to make and they make alot so you can freeze the leftovers and eat them 2 or 3 more times!

Stews are great too for the same reasons as above...
  • Options
    Stews are great too for the same reasons as above...

can you make chicken stew? I know that might sound odd, but i dont think I have ever heard of it.
  • Options
    Ohh i was just telling your other half that i spent the weekend cooking my dinners for the rest of the week at the weekend.

Anyway I plan all my food for the week in advance and then buy it all at once. I also nearly always cook double what I need and then freeze the other half for use at a later date. My shopping for the two of us for a week is normally £25-30 assuming that we will eat out 2-3 times a week (usually once in a restaurant and another at one or other or our parents houses).

I bought all my food from the Turkish supermarket this week so its all vaguely turkish greek themeed (total cost £28). Plus for some reason most stuff is cheaper there than it is in sainsburys - so for example I got enough lamb for about 4 - 5 people for the grand total of £3.80

Monday: Lamb casserole with green beans, potatoes and spinich (I have another of these to eat another week)

Tuesday: Chicken with lemon and parsley, baked butter beans and more spinich

Wednesday: Omlette with feta, boiled potatoes and salad

Thursday: Pasta with aubergine and corgettes and moonblushed tomatoes.

Friday: out - or i have a stand by meal of either pitta bread and hummus and salad orrr beef stew left over from the week before

Plus i made a giant vat of vegetable and lentil soup - with all my left over vegetables from the week before so that is my lunch for 3 days this week as well as sunday lunch.

Pasta is cheap but bad for you so make sure you buy wholemeal pasta and only eat it once a week! Also you dont' have to eat meat every night - quite often i do stuff like vege curry with butter benns and poatoes instead of meat and loads of vegetables in.

In general I tend to only eat meat at home once a week or so during the week and once on the weekend which keeps the cost down. My only other advice is to not necessarily go to supermarkets - my local greengrocer is much cheaper than sains.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Ohh i was just telling your other half that i spent the weekend cooking my dinners for the rest of the week at the weekend.

Anyway I plan all my food for the week in advance and then buy it all at once. I also nearly always cook double what I need and then freeze the other half for use at a later date. My shopping for the two of us for a week is normally £25-30 assuming that we will eat out 2-3 times a week (usually once in a restaurant and another at one or other or our parents houses).

I bought all my food from the Turkish supermarket this week so its all vaguely turkish greek themeed (total cost £28). Plus for some reason most stuff is cheaper there than it is in sainsburys - so for example I got enough lamb for about 4 - 5 people for the grand total of £3.80

Monday: Lamb casserole with green beans, potatoes and spinich (I have another of these to eat another week)

Tuesday: Chicken with lemon and parsley, baked butter beans and more spinich

Wednesday: Omlette with feta, boiled potatoes and salad

Thursday: Pasta with aubergine and corgettes and moonblushed tomatoes.

Friday: out - or i have a stand by meal of either pitta bread and hummus and salad orrr beef stew left over from the week before

Plus i made a giant vat of vegetable and lentil soup - with all my left over vegetables from the week before so that is my lunch for 3 days this week as well as sunday lunch.

Pasta is cheap but bad for you so make sure you buy wholemeal pasta and only eat it once a week! Also you dont' have to eat meat every night - quite often i do stuff like vege curry with butter benns and poatoes instead of meat and loads of vegetables in.

In general I tend to only eat meat at home once a week or so during the week and once on the weekend which keeps the cost down. My only other advice is to not necessarily go to supermarkets - my local greengrocer is much cheaper than sains.

wow missy! you are so organised! I am jealous.

What do you do then, just warm it through when you want it?

I have converted him to vege mince, which is a new one. I do like the idea of getting all in one go and that be that, no more shopping.

Do you take your soup in a flask to work?
  • Options
    wow missy! you are so organised! I am jealous.

What do you do then, just warm it through when you want it?

I have converted him to vege mince, which is a new one. I do like the idea of getting all in one go and that be that, no more shopping.

Do you take your soup in a flask to work?

I take the soup in tupperwear and then heat it up in the microwave - i guess if you work somewhere with no microwave then it could be a bit of a problem.

In the summer i often take salad instead but I put cold new potatoes and green beans in it to fill me up.

The frozen stuff i defrost and then heat up on the stove/in the microwave depending on what it is and usually cook up pasta or rice or something to go with it.

I've been seriously organised since i was at university - i dunno why - i guess i'm just food obsessed.......
  • Options
    can you make chicken stew?

Yes, although casserole works better. Use legs/thighs because...

1. They're cheaper
    2. They're supposed to taste nicer than breast, or at least have more flavour.
    3. They won't deteriorate like breast will in a casserole.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I take the soup in tupperwear and then heat it up in the microwave - i guess if you work somewhere with no microwave then it could be a bit of a problem.

In the summer i often take salad instead but I put cold new potatoes and green beans in it to fill me up.

The frozen stuff i defrost and then heat up on the stove/in the microwave depending on what it is and usually cook up pasta or rice or something to go with it.

I've been seriously organised since i was at university - i dunno why - i guess i'm just food obsessed.......

Come and live with me :) Steven can move out, he wont mind.

We have no microwave at work, but I might see if I can find a flask.

I like the idea of tatties and beans to fill me up. I might start doing that too!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yes, although casserole works better. Use legs/thighs because...

1. They're cheaper
    2. They're supposed to taste nicer than breast, or at least have more flavour.
    3. They won't deteriorate like breast will in a casserole.

thighs are nicer than i expected to be honest. I may do that when we can afford chicken :)
  • Options
    They are nicer, more flavour and less dry than breast.

And cheaper cos people can't be arsed dealing with bones cos they are lazy like that :p
  • Options
    If you can't afford chicken then use turkey, it tastes almost the same and is about half the price.

A lot of it is about shopping smarter though. If you work in the centre of town go to the market in your lunch hour, its always cheaper there, you can choose exactly how much you want, and the quality is normally better.

I can get a pound of diced chicken breast for about £1.50 in the market butchers, and he knows who I am and that's great. Much better than supermarket slop.
  • Options
    Definatly worth getting to know your local buthers or if you have a market go down there.

We have a local market ever thursday and i got a load of meat last week for £10, about 10 chops and 5 thick steaks and some gamon. i was well chuffed as will last us ages. Oh and the fruit and veg man is really friendly tells me whats in season and how to cook it ( i cant cook to save my life) and always chucks me a free piece of fruit if im walking past at lunch time as i tend to buy weekly from him:yes:

My other half is a big meat eater so i have to cook meat but i tend to buy something like a beef joint cut it in half. cook one bit and freeze the other. we will have a roast for dinner on a sunday and if there is leftovers he gets it in his sandwich:thumb:

I also make pasta bakes and throw in tinned tuna or mackral.

If you find any good receipes let me know!!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you can't afford chicken then use turkey, it tastes almost the same and is about half the price.

A lot of it is about shopping smarter though. If you work in the centre of town go to the market in your lunch hour, its always cheaper there, you can choose exactly how much you want, and the quality is normally better.

I can get a pound of diced chicken breast for about £1.50 in the market butchers, and he knows who I am and that's great. Much better than supermarket slop.

I cant really do that with the commute, the meat would have been out of the fridge for far too long by the time I get home :(

But it is worth seeing if the market is open on Saturdays and I may start buying in bulk.
  • Options
    But it is worth seeing if the market is open on Saturdays and I may start buying in bulk.

Take your gas mask. I cant stand the smell of disinfectant in butchers shops :D
  • Options
    Take your gas mask. I cant stand the smell of disinfectant in butchers shops :D

very true - I dont think the combo of fish/meat/old tramp sat outside is all that appealing!
  • Options
    you've certainly inspired me to go to the butchers this week :)
  • Options
    Come and live with me :) Steven can move out, he wont mind.

We have no microwave at work, but I might see if I can find a flask.

I like the idea of tatties and beans to fill me up. I might start doing that too!
    :o thats terrible, tell them to get one.
  • Options
    With all this talk of chicken Bunnie i could come round and butter your breasts, then i'd do you something to eat :D