Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    in the middle with this one really!
  • Options
    well as stupid as that may seem with that little alcohol content.

rules are rules. I wouldn't have given him the suspension there, but just told him he can't drink that here and tell his mother.

of course it's exaggerated, but still...
  • Options
    Question would be, what would have happened if it was a can of coke? Plenty of schools only allow water, if it's along those lines then drinking it was against the rules anyway.
  • Options
    It is possible he was suspended for drinking pop as it's against the rules rather than because he was drinking shandy.
  • Options
    Any fool can make a rule
    And every fool will mind it.
  • Options
    Oh teachers love these stupid rules. think it makes them feel important or something.
  • Options
    Shame they arent so hot about kids taking knives into the classroom
  • Options
    I'm with you Calvin. Was hardly harmless?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I imagine that the drinking of shandy was the final straw. I don't believe he was a model pupil, always behaving if they are suspending for drinking shandy.
  • Options
    Depends what the school was like too. If it was a strict school then I'm not suprised. The school I went to sent people home if they dyed their hair (even if it was a natural looking colour) until it washed out again.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    J wrote: »
    Shock horror. We are forced into learning something we don't want to learn and we misbehave. Really strange that. Fucking fascists.

Unfortuntely, school is statutory until the age of 16 so the kids have to deal with it. Most children manage. The small percentage who decide to rebel against the system have to deal with it.
  • Options
    The story says

"But when he attempted to drink it at school, a teacher took the can from him, emptied it on the grass and put him in isolation for two hours, she said"

That's not being suspended. So, if he was suspended, then it would have been a combination of other factors. Fancy that. Imagine a news story not giving all the facts.
  • Options
    When I 1st heard about it on Teletext they said he was suspended and I mustn't have read the article very well.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    When I 1st heard about it on Teletext they said he was suspended and I mustn't have read the article very well.

The title does say suspended, but it does not seem to be referenced in the article.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    The title does say suspended, but it does not seem to be referenced in the article.
    Oh thanks.
  • Options
    Oddly enough, when I click that link, all I get is a window that just asks me if I want to search the website. Hmm...

He should have just drunk some coffee instead and offered to make one for the teacher. When I was at school, they used to practically live on the stuff. I was once doing some work for the deputy headmaster at the secondary school. I've never seen a man drink so much coffee in my life.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Oddly enough, when I click that link, all I get is a window that just asks me if I want to search the website. Hmm...

He should have just drunk some coffee instead and offered to make one for the teacher. When I was at school, they used to practically live on the stuff. I was once doing some work for the deputy headmaster at the secondary school. I've never seen a man drink so much coffee in my life.
    They used to drink loads of coffee in my first school in glass mugs.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    They used to drink loads of coffee in my first school in glass mugs.
    Teachers are a completely different speices to the rest of us. When I was studying English for my GCSEs, we all suspected that our teacher had a caffeine addiction. I only found out a couple of years later, by speaking to that teacher's daughter, that the rumours were true. I'd be amazed if teachers contracts didn't include shares in Nescafe.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    "But when he attempted to drink it at school, a teacher took the can from him, emptied it on the grass and put him in isolation for two hours, she said"

That's not being suspended.

Well that makes it all OK then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

I guess from the sarcastic smiley you think it's not ok?

What's your solution? Perhaps you think that the teachers should just let the kids do whatever they like?
  • Options
    I dunno, I think they should come down pretty hard on any intoxicating substances consumed in school (alcohol, drugs, solvents etc). If they dont, it'll just encourage other students to do the same.
  • Options
    Unfortuntely, school is statutory until the age of 16 so the kids have to deal with it.

Are you sure because AFAIK it's education, not school that's mandatory?
  • Options

There's a generation of idiots growing up because of thinking like that. He broke the rules, he is punished, simple as.

So many times I meet youngsters who think that the rules don't apply to them, that everyone somehow owes them something, that if they misbehave it doesn't matter because someone else will come along and sort their life out for them.
  • Options
    You can be internally suspended, still in school but not attending lessons, when I was little the kids in question seemed to end up doing work on a desk by themselves outside the headmasters office.

Suspect that's the kind of suspension that the article means, and is just trying to be sensasionalist.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    There's a generation of idiots growing up because of thinking like that. He broke the rules, he is punished, simple as.

I'd be careful about calling me an idiot, poppet, first of all:)

Second of all, it isn't as simple as "he broke the rules, simple as". A rule should not be obeyed blindly simply because it is a rule.

If the rule is stupid, pointless and nonsensical (as a ban on drinking a popular carbonated beverage outside during a school break surely is) then I fail to see why that rule should be obeyed.

If he was drinking it in class, or pouring it down someone's top, then fair enough, he should be punished. But if he was drinking a drink he was legally allowed to drink, during his own time, then the teacher is an idiot and needs to seriously get a life. A P45 would help them immeasurably.

Obviously authority keeps its control by creating stupid rules and then enforcing them rigidly. You can't drink pop outside in the school yard, you can't smoke in your own car in an NHS car park, the list gets longer and longer every day. How ridiculous.
  • Options
    I'd be careful about calling me an idiot, poppet, first of all:)

Second of all, it isn't as simple as "he broke the rules, simple as". A rule should not be obeyed blindly simply because it is a rule.

If the rule is stupid, pointless and nonsensical (as a ban on drinking a popular carbonated beverage outside during a school break surely is) then I fail to see why that rule should be obeyed.

If he was drinking it in class, or pouring it down someone's top, then fair enough, he should be punished. But if he was drinking a drink he was legally allowed to drink, during his own time, then the teacher is an idiot and needs to seriously get a life. A P45 would help them immeasurably.

Obviously authority keeps its control by creating stupid rules and then enforcing them rigidly. You can't drink pop outside in the school yard, you can't smoke in your own car in an NHS car park, the list gets longer and longer every day. How ridiculous.

I'm not calling you an idiot, far from it!!!

I'm just saying there is a generation of young people (not all, but quite a few) who have grown up being allowed to do what they want, where it be their parents, the schools or the government.
    By not enforcing the rules the kids think it's ok to do what they want. There will have been more to this story then they are letting on, chances are it's a rule break in a long series of misbehaviour. If it's just for this one thing then it's a bit OTT but I doubt it is this one thing.