Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Strike Action

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK so I believe that any person is within their rights to have freedom of speech and if striking is a way to get your freedom of speech then I am all for it. I was searching here however and found this view that if people don't like it they leave their job and find another. I am sure the people at job centres nationwide would really appreciate that?

So imagine you are told that your pay will be frozen or that it will go up but below the annual increase on tax/shopping and you cannot afford to support your family.

Should you
a) go on strike and make a stand (along with a whole workforce)
or
b) leave the job (bearing in mind a job that pays equal isn't exactly easy to find or that you certainly cannot claim benefits as you left of your own accord)

The choice seems obvious to me but what are your views?

Here's the other discussion http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/wedding-forum/index.php?showtopic=10850

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you have mouths to feed, as most people invariably have, not least their own, then you simply cannot afford to leave your job and hope to find one that is better paid.

For the simple reason that unless you have certain qualifications, most other employers that offer the kind job you are likely to be taken for are going to be paying equally shit wages.

The right of strike is one of the most important and fundamental rights anyone could have.

And before workers were allowed that right, conditions were markedly worse for most.
    Strike.
    Depends, I'm not a fan of strikes- dont really think they benefit anyone in the long run.
    J wrote: »
    Aye. But I would have to think long and hard if I was someone like a firefighter nd peoples lives depended on me not striking.

People like firefighters, policemen and similar professions don't tend to strike in the traditional manner.

Like with ATC where I am, if they strike it means that there's minimum staff present on the shifts and they contact other nearby centres to restrict the amount of aircraft they let through. They're still providing a service, it's just the absolute bare minimum they can get away with.

My future union might be striking this spring. I hope it won't come to that though, because I don't want them to delay me getting my qualifications. :p