Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

GPs to "desert" NHS for being made to work for their wages

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reduntant one ...any chance of a script for some class A's?
    g_angel wrote: »
    How do you know the GP was on £300k? Did they tell you or anyone else?

Neighbour is an NHS manager. I don't know for sure he earns £300k, but that's how much goes through the practice when he was the only doctor.

And to redundant: why would I be trying to piss you off? I'm just saying that the picture you paint of hard done by doctors doesn't reflect at least in my local village practice.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Neighbour is an NHS manager. I don't know for sure he earns £300k, but that's how much goes through the practice when he was the only doctor.

So... out of that he would have to pay for any/all staff, the property etc etc etc.

£300k going through a business doesn't mean the person who owns the business takes home that total amount etc.
    g_angel wrote: »
    So... out of that he would have to pay for any/all staff, the property etc etc etc.

£300k going through a business doesn't mean the person who owns the business takes home that total amount etc.

That's fair enough. But it's weird how to work it out. On the one hand our doctor friend here is saying that salaries are grossly over exaggerated (by x2 according to his calculation? I think..), on the other there is a lot of money going to this doctor to run his surgery, but as you pointed out he can spend that money on things like his car, or whatever. He lives next door btw ^^ yet parks his car next to the surgery. I don't know about his newer doctor...

There certainly seems to be a discrepancy. I don't know exactly how doctors surgeries are run, but I'm getting the picture it's a bit like a small business. I.e. you might have a salaried income, but your actual spending power is greater because you can buy things through the company. Still, ~£50k salary for a GP doesn't seem to ring true...

http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/Pressinfobriefingconsultant
    GPs are contracted to be responsible for their patients from 8am-6.30pm every weekday. This constitutes 52.5 hours a week. The average income earned by GPs is around £95,000, however this figure includes some money for out-of-hours sessions which many GPs continue to choose to do in addition to their daytime work. The reported figures on total GP income are based on tax returns and also include GPs’ personal earnings such as income from non-NHS work, for example, insurance medicals.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=553
    Many general practitioners (GPs) are self employed and hold contracts, either on their own or as part of a partnership, with their local primary care trust (PCT). The profit of GPs varies according to the services they provide for their patients and the way they choose to provide these services. Most GPs would expect to earn between £80,000 and £120,000.

Salaried GPs employed directly by PCTs earn approximately £51,000 to £77,000, dependent on, among other factors, length of service and experience.

So it's all a bit of a fiddle really. If you work in any public sector according to economics you are officially underpaid anyway :s although I can't remember exactly why. Some doctors earn a lot more than others because they're making profits from their surgeries. I don't know how a doctor makes money in a surgery anyway...

Still, that management consulting job I won't get (too competitive) starts with 60 hour weeks with a salary of around £20-£26k (depending on location). And that's going into one of the top tiers of the private sector which will pay more. If doctors are good enough they can go private and be absolutely minted
    If he is working in a single practice then I doubt he'd be able to make 100 thousand and then he'd have superannuation, insurance etc etc taken off that. You can't do it from a small practice. If hes got a very expensive car it must be for some other reason. For instance Optimax in Manchester had a GP who lasers eyes because he used to be an ophthalmic surgeon-in fact I let him laser mine! Or if you take a trip to medical school you'll see a lot of medical students with nice cars because rich people especially from abroad like their children to become doctors-much of it can be family money. If you take a trip to the average GP surgery you won't find lots of nice cars outside. If you do its because anyone who earns 50,000 can buy a BMW or Mercedes I own a 5 year old VW, my partner a 4 year old VW The only way to make a lot of money in GP is to buy up several practices and become more of a business manager and to do that you often need to have the money to start off with which is now open to anyone, not just GPs . We have one in our area whose bought about 10 practices and its just possible hes earning £250,000. Some call him pioneering, others resent him because what he gains salaried GPs lose.
    I was a surgeon for several years and went through all the exams and bullsh*t before I decided GP land was a better place because the goverment made it look attractive. I thought it was going to be great. Now in August when I become fully qualified I can look forward to getting paid less than I am now, difficulty getting a job for about the billionth time since qualifying and struggling to pay my mortgage because the goverment is to trying to change the whole of GP again and worse still everyone thinks I'm a millionaire playing golf everyday. Not that I'm doing too badly compared to some but I certainly don't think I'm having an easy ride compared to similar professionals.

I didn't sign up to do medicine to be a business manager or to just do private work. My partner works as a doctor in a drug company and gets paid a good wage but i couldn't stand it myself.

You quote a manager job 60 + hours a week . I don't think thats legal under the new European Working Time directive. I could be wrong. Also the wage you quote isn't too different to a junior doctor before banding for overtime
    redundant1 wrote: »

My partner works as a doctor in a drug company
    Wheres my script then?
    I don't think her drugs would be much use to you, she only deals with trial drugs, not unless you have cancer of course
    Does she work for GSK? I've got a friend working there as an economist. Now there's a job you get minted in! And we get very cheap lucozade :cool:
    I don't think her drugs would be much use to you, she only deals with trial drugs, not unless you have cancer of course

What about your drugs?
    I think she'd kick my ass for telling people its anti-cancer and the company involved. Its all hush hush as far as competition goes.

I'm afraid I've no opiates for sale, I only give them out to chronic pain or cancer patients. Before you ask psychological pain doesn't count !! Try some green tea instead or acupuncture.
    I think she'd kick my ass for telling people its anti-cancer and the company involved. Its all hush hush as far as competition goes.

I'm afraid I've no opiates for sale, I only give them out to chronic pain or cancer patients. Before you ask psychological pain doesn't count !! Try some green tea instead or acupuncture.

Fair enough, where my friend works of course there are secret things but they publicly say to their shareholders or what not what kinds of areas they're focusing on, each company has a slightly different focus... it's quite interesting actually, the pharmaceutical side.

Oh well ...green tea it is then ...i've gone off needles.