Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

so what would you do with £50billion

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Does this include the people who, by law, aren't allowed to drive?

They would presumably be able to afford bus fares using the money they save by not driving?
  • Options
    Does this include the people who, by law, aren't allowed to drive?

One thing I would do, would be to give student grants/loans to people who are doing further education courses but have to pay for them.

Are they not allowed to drive as punishment, or for medical reasons?

If it's punishment, then no, they shouldn't get free travel.
  • Options
    They would presumably be able to afford bus fares using the money they save by not driving?

What a load of rubbish. If they've got to pay, so should everyone else.

Whowhere - I'm talking about the people who can't drive for medical reasons.
  • Options
    If somebody cannot drive for medical reasons then they should be given free travel if their financial circumstances merit it.

If you can't drive and have ten grand in the bank account, and you earn £30,000 a year, then of course you should have to pay. If you can't legally drive because of a medical condition and you're on income support or working tax credit then it should be free.

Driving is not a right. Free travel should be given to those who financially need it, not those who are medically denied the opportunity to drive.
  • Options
    Frankly if Darling doesn't resign over this you wonder what would make him.
    Yeah, but if Alistair Darling resigned, you wouldn't hear about it on this board. I notice that nobody's made even the slightest bit of noise in the last few weeks about Peter Hain's troubles and his resignation yesterday. He "forgets" to declare over £100k in donations, and nothing is said about it. If it was a Tory who'd "forgotten" to declare £100k, you'd all be screaming "Tory sleaze" at the tops of your voices.

In any case, I see no resignation why the glove puppet at No. 11 needs to quit. The person who's really to blame for the Northern Rock fiasco is Gordon Brown. He's the one who put in place a system where the responsibility for dealing with it is split three ways. He's the one who ran the economy for 10 years, yet now attempts to pretend he only first appeared on the political scene on June 27th, 2007. If Northern Rock fails, it's Gordon Brown's head I will want to see rolling. And I for one, will be more than happy to dance on his political grave.

In the meantime... what would I do with £50billion? Simple. I'd give people massive tax cuts. I'd sack the legions of useless people doing non-jobs such as smoking cessation officers, five-a-day-co ordinators. I'd sack those overpaid NHS executives who have failed miserably to deal with MRSA. I'd reduce the size of government by at least half, starting with a reduction in the number of MPs - 200 will be sufficient. There would be fewer MPs for Wales, whom has an Assembly, and even fewer for Scotland, who have a proper Parliament instead of the talking shop the Welsh voted for. Hundreds of quangos would be abolished... I could go on, but I won't.

By the time I'd be finished with my reforms, people would be paying very little tax. Vote Stargalaxy!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

In any case, I see no resignation why the glove puppet at No. 11 needs to quit. The person who's really to blame for the Northern Rock fiasco is Gordon Brown. He's the one who put in place a system where the responsibility for dealing with it is split three ways. He's the one who ran the economy for 10 years, yet now attempts to pretend he only first appeared on the political scene on June 27th, 2007. If Northern Rock fails, it's Gordon Brown's head I will want to see rolling. And I for one, will be more than happy to dance on his political grave.
    How exactly is it Gordon Brown's fault? :confused:
  • Options
    How would you pay for the NHS, education and public services if people paid little tax? You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    How exactly is it Gordon Brown's fault? :confused:
    Gordon may not have been responsible for Northern Rock running into trouble, but he's responsible for pretty much everything else. Responsibility for dealing with this crisis has been split three ways. Who introduced this stupid system? Gordon Brown. Who's the one who's been boasting for ten years about how brilliant he was at running the economy? Gordon Brown. Who's the one who now dithers over what to do? Gordon Brown. Who's the one who has to take responsibility now if the bank fails? Go... ah, you get the pattern. Since the bank's effectively been nationalised already, the man at the top must take the blame if it goes under, taking all that taxpayers money with it.

This will make or break Gordon Brown's premiership. If he succeeds, history will remember him kindly. If he fails, he'll look like one of the worst Prime Ministers that Britain has ever seen. And Blair certainly set the standard appallingly low as it was.

Yerascrote wrote: »
    How would you pay for the NHS, education and public services if people paid little tax? You can't have it both ways.
    Simple. The NHS would end up doing less. For example, I don't think the NHS should be doing IVF treatment. The education system is already well-funded, it's just the system itself that's a sham. Public services... well, people pay a fortune in taxes at the moment and where has the money gone? The amount of money that Gordon Brown has shoved into the NHS doesn't even begin to reflect the modest improvements made. (I should know about paying too much tax - I received a tax refund earlier this week!)
  • Options
    So the credit crunch crisis in America which led to Northern Rock's demise is Gordon Brown's fault? Nice logic there...
  • Options
    So the credit crunch crisis in America which led to Northern Rock's demise is Gordon Brown's fault? Nice logic there...
    Nope. The credit crunch is the fault of morons in American banks who thought it would be a good idea to give mortgages to people with no chance of being able to pay them. What I'm saying is - if the bank goes under now, Gordon will have no one to blame but himself. Had he shown some backbone and made decisions about this months ago, Richard Branson would now own the bank and be busy making his changes to it.

Though doubtless if the bank fails, we'll hear news sources like the BBC saying it's actually the fault of the last Conservative government...
  • Options
    Simple. The NHS would end up doing less. For example, I don't think the NHS should be doing IVF treatment.

Who gave you a monopoly on what the NHS does? Unless you become dictator of course.
    The education system is already well-funded, it's just the system itself that's a sham.

Well funded from taxes, yes. It's simple, less taxes means less funding. The government just doesn't have money growing from trees outside Westminster ya know?
    Public services... well, people pay a fortune in taxes at the moment and where has the money gone?

Part of the problem is the privatisation or semi-privatisation of these industries. Instead off competeing and improving conditions, these companies have neglected their duties.
  • Options
    Nope. The credit crunch is the fault of morons in American banks who thought it would be a good idea to give mortgages to people with no chance of being able to pay them. What I'm saying is - if the bank goes under now, Gordon will have no one to blame but himself. Had he shown some backbone and made decisions about this months ago, Richard Branson would now own the bank and be busy making his changes to it.

He made a decision months ago.
    Though doubtless if the bank fails, we'll hear news sources like the BBC saying it's actually the fault of the last Conservative government...

Don't be silly. In fact, the economic policies of the last few years of the Tories actually helped set up the growing economy we've had under Labour. I'll be the first to say that.
  • Options
    Who gave you a monopoly on what the NHS does? Unless you become dictator of course.
    New Labour has interfered in the running of the NHS more than once. A few years ago, there was a hoo-hah because Nice had refused to allow Herceptin to be prescribed on the NHS. This was a drug that is used to deal with breast cancer. We then see Patricia Hewitt interfering in Nice's affairs - something that ministers are explicitly not allowed to do - for no other reason than there were a few votes in it. I didn't see many on TheSite complaining about that decision.
    He made a decision months ago.
    If he has, I wish he'd bloody well tell us what it is. All I see is a man dithering away whilst taxpayers exposure gets bigger and bigger. Rome is burning, but Nero just fiddles away.
  • Options
    Gordon may not have been responsible for Northern Rock running into trouble, but he's responsible for pretty much everything else. Responsibility for dealing with this crisis has been split three ways. Who introduced this stupid system? Gordon Brown. Who's the one who's been boasting for ten years about how brilliant he was at running the economy? Gordon Brown. Who's the one who now dithers over what to do? Gordon Brown. Who's the one who has to take responsibility now if the bank fails? Go... ah, you get the pattern. Since the bank's effectively been nationalised already, the man at the top must take the blame if it goes under, taking all that taxpayers money with it.
    No politician can ever be blamed for the ineptitude of those in charge of a private business.

And for the record, Brown has been brilliant at running the economy. Better than all the Tory chancellors of the last 100 years put together, in fact.
  • Options
    And for the record, Brown has been brilliant at running the economy. Better than all the Tory chancellors of the last 100 years put together, in fact.
    Really? Taxes are a stupidly high level - no longer can Britain claim to be a low-tax economy. The national debt is rising at a time of economic difficulty. Macavity created an economic boom based on debt - both national and personal. And for what? To fund pathetically modest improvements in the NHS. To fund a worsening education system. To funnel money into Labour constituencies to ensure that people keep voting for Labour. The only good decision he ever made was giving independence to the Bank of England. After that, everything turned to shit.

He was absolutely terrible at the job. The economy was doing well despite Gordon Brown, not because of him. He was useless as the country's Chancellor, and he's even more useless as Prime Minister. The sooner that we've gotten rid of him, the better.
  • Options
    Rome is burning, but Nero just fiddles away.

You read that in The Sun the other day, tell the truth now? :p
  • Options
    You read that in The Sun the other day, tell the truth now? :p
    As it happens, I did pick up that line from The Sun, yes. I was in the newsagents on Monday afternoon and I saw that on the front page. However, Murdoch's other outfit, The Times, is more to my taste. :p
  • Options
    Really? Taxes are a stupidly high level - no longer can Britain claim to be a low-tax economy. The national debt is rising at a time of economic difficulty. Macavity created an economic boom based on debt - both national and personal. And for what? To fund pathetically modest improvements in the NHS. To fund a worsening education system. To funnel money into Labour constituencies to ensure that people keep voting for Labour. The only good decision he ever made was giving independence to the Bank of England. After that, everything turned to shit.
    Really? Stability, growth, inflation levels and interest rates that the Tories could only dream of.

Not too long ago, under the Tories, interest rates were in double figures you know...
  • Options
    Nope. The credit crunch is the fault of morons in American banks who thought it would be a good idea to give mortgages to people with no chance of being able to pay them.

The people giving out the loans werent silly at all, just greedy, they knew the people wernt going to pay them back, but they didnt care because the loans were being sold straight onto the market and they had no risk.

If anyone is to blame its the economist PHD egg heads who thought up this fantastic idea of parcelling up debt and selling it on the market with no real tie to the house secured against it.
  • Options
    Really? Stability, growth, inflation levels and interest rates that the Tories could only dream of. Not too long ago, under the Tories, interest rates were in double figures you know...
    When are you Lefties gonna get over the fact it's no longer 1986? Labour have been in power for over 10 years. Yes, so we have low interest rates. That means very little. Food prices are on the up, fuel costs are forever rising, we're heading for difficult economic times and Britain is badly prepared, thanks to Gordon Brown.

On Wednesday, David Cameron described Gordon Brown as "that strange man in Downing Street". Lefties decried the fact he was getting personal - before making their own personal attacks on Cameron, natually. Personally, I think that describing Gordon as "strange" is being extremely kind on him. I can think of far more appropriate, but less printable words.
  • Options
    If you think Labour is a left-wing party then you're head is in the clouds.

All those things you mentioned are beyond the control of Labour, do you think it's Labour's fault that oil is running out all over the world? No, of course not so why mention an oil crisis? If you look at economic growth on it's own, objectively then you'll see that Gordon Brown has done more in 10 years than any Tory government ever. Fact.
  • Options
    When are you Lefties gonna get over the fact it's no longer 1986? Labour have been in power for over 10 years. Yes, so we have low interest rates. That means very little.
    Tell that to the hundreds of thousands who lost their homes due to obscene mortgage repayments... :rolleyes:
    Food prices are on the up
    Nothing to do Brown's management of the economy.
    fuel costs are forever rising
    Yeah that's Brown fault as well. He should have had a word with God and ensure plenty more forests and dinosaurs had been buried all those hundreds of millions of years ago so we would have plenty more oil reserves.
    we're heading for difficult economic times and Britain is badly prepared, thanks to Gordon Brown.
    Really? There was me thinking Britain was better prepared than most...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If somebody cannot drive for medical reasons then they should be given free travel if their financial circumstances merit it.

If you can't drive and have ten grand in the bank account, and you earn £30,000 a year, then of course you should have to pay. If you can't legally drive because of a medical condition and you're on income support or working tax credit then it should be free.

Driving is not a right. Free travel should be given to those who financially need it, not those who are medically denied the opportunity to drive.

Why should tax payers pay for benefits to people who can't work and then the council pay for bus passes for them? And what's wrong with them walking instead?

Free travel isn't a right either. It means for people like me who need to travel everywhere (as walking just isn't safe) we can do without having to spend a fortune on doing so.
    By the time I'd be finished with my reforms, people would be paying very little tax. Vote Stargalaxy!

Surely cutting taxes = cutting services?:confused:
  • Options
    Surely cutting taxes = cutting services?
    Yes. And why is that bad? The Government does far too much as it is.
  • Options
    SG, unfortunately in the current climate you'd have to increase taxes and cut services. Doing anything else would destroy the economy.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    SG, unfortunately in the current climate you'd have to increase taxes and cut services. Doing anything else would destroy the economy.
    For someone who goes to one of the best universities in the country, I'm amazed you could come out with that statement. Tax cuts, far from destroying the economy, would actually be a great help. It would mean people have more of their own money available. They could use it to help pay some bills, maybe put it aside to help on a rainy day, do whatever they want with it.

The fact that some smoking cessation officer or five-a-day co-ordinator would end up getting sacked because of cuts in services does not bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    For someone who goes to one of the best universities in the country, I'm amazed you could come out with that statement. Tax cuts, far from destroying the economy, would actually be a great help. It would mean people have more of their own money available. They could use it to help pay some bills, maybe put it aside to help on a rainy day, do whatever they want with it.

The fact that some smoking cessation officer or five-a-day co-ordinator would end up getting sacked because of cuts in services does not bother me in the slightest.

That's using the assumption that the current market downfalls can be cured by simply taxing a bit less. But part of the problem is all about debt. And bad debts. A lot of the economy runs on speculation, when it looks like we've all got a lot of money and a lot of credit is going round, all is good. But when some of the debts aren't paid - more than expected - everyone realises the economy isn't worth as much as it should be. So companies start pulling in debts, and stop giving out credit.

Unfortunately, the organisation in the UK worst placed by all of this, is the government - since most private organisations run their books *fairly* tidily (with some exceptions i.e. northern rock who didn't have enough liquidity) - the government has been working on the principle that it can borrow money to invest because it will pay back more than it costs the country to borrow. But in doing so, there's a massive debt sheet which we assumed we'd pay off 'one day', but now the debt companies need the money back, and the investments - with the global economy heading towards recession - aren't going to pay out. If we just print more money it will cause inflation to spiral out of control. No doubt you'll soon see adds to buy government bonds or some such on the telly.

I mean, no doubt we'll be fine, it will be tough for a while. America are in a far worse position than us, with much larger levels of speculative borrowing on the government's part. It's in a 'boom' when organisations make poor decisions regarding the risk and expected return that causes them to lose so much money. In our cases, it's the government.

The best way of the situation is to tighten up public spending massively, and start repaying as much of the debt as you can. Otherwise you could end up like Argentina did in their recession, when the government couldn't afford to pay back it's debts and everyone lost faith in the economy. Everyone pulled their money out in a panic and the economy collapsed from the inside out. I would expect a similar effect if on smaller scales to occur in the US, which means us who are so closely linked want to avoid the fallout we can't just keep smiling and handing out cash hoping we can spend the problem away - we need to pay back our debt now and restore confidence in the UK economy.
  • Options
    Hang on, I never said that the current economic difficulties could be "cured" by tax cuts. They could play part of a solution, but they certainly aren't some kind of miracle cure. Mind you, you're spot on with your withering analysis on government borrowing. For years, Gordon Brown spent public money as if there was no tomorrow. He got the country into huge debts. Now we see the pathetic spectacle of him claiming that Britain is well-prepared for economic troubles. What a joke. (if our economy goes into recession, I'll expect to see his resignation. A man who built his reputation for his alleged "prudence" cannot remain as PM in those circumstances. Though I suspect we will see his glove puppet Alistair Darling being hung out to dry to save Gordon's bacon.)

I agree that debt needs to be paid back quickly. I also happen to think that debt should never have been taken on in the first place.
  • Options
    Thing is, if we have a massive sliding scale of projects, we do them in the order we have funds and the benefit we get back from them. So we work out a cost benefit ratio, the ones with the most benefit (say put in £1 get £2 value back) we do first.

So £10bn of these projects come out of taxation money. It's going to give back to society value of £20bn though, so we're all happy. Whether it's doctors, police, public projects or whatever. Broadly speaking everyones chuffed that they've got a doctor for the tax they pay.

However, we've still got loads of projects left, maybe giving value back of £1.5 for £1 spent, but we've run out of money. So we can start borrowing money, because even when we pay it back we'll still be quids in. So those new computers in schools - they didn't come from taxpayers, the government borrowed the money from lenders because we'll pay back in 20 years when the students have all got IT skills giving them bigger incomes so they can pay back more... get it?

Unfortuantely, when you get carried away with the process, at some point you start agreeing to projects that are reasonably close to the line. As soon as the economic climate shifts (which has happened pretty quickly from boom to bust - in about 1 - 2 years from when US bad debts started to northern rock going down the pan to now) the value of these projects plummets and the price increases, and the cost of lending money goes up as well. All in all you've suddenly made big commitments that are quite bad.

The US government's policy all along has been to keep throwing money at people. Theoretically, if they spend more then they will keep the economy thriving, lots of wealth and money going round, everything is good. But that just temporarily covers up the problem, as inflation kicks in and actually then makes the problem worse than it was.

Economically the sound route is to tell everyone it's going to be tough and pay back the debt. Politically that's suicide and everyone whose just invested money into the economy will be jumping off a bridge - telling them the economy is bloated and due for a downturn. No PM or President would survive politically by increasing taxes and paying back debt, even if it is necessary.

To see the worst circumstances when this spirals out of control, look at countries in eastern europe that were borrowing 15-20% of their economic spend a year, with inflation as high as 50%.
  • Options
    So, to sum your comments up in a nutshell - we're all screwed.

How reassuring. :p