Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

so what would you do with £50billion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
rather than spend it on nationalising the risks on a failing stupid bank but sod all of the profits......

i would:

increase the tax free limit up to £20,000 and any income after that gets a standard 35%, whilst removing NI ensuring all long term british nationals get a state pension

i'd increase state pension on the RPI inflation scale

i'd fund the building of the severn tidal power station (would supply aout 8% of UK electricity by itself) and fund more research into fusion

i'd up the student top up fees to £5000, but match the living costs grant to that too (so no real net increase it just makes it more of a cost-benefits exercise) whilst funding more free training in vocational jobs, which includes adults

all of which would come to under £50billion total, wih which the change could be used to pay of some of the national debt

what would you do?

Comments

• Options
    Increase Britain's self-sufficiency, much more research into fusion and tidal power.
    Rebuild British industry, become a major exporter, not importer.

Elliminate our reliance on global oil.

Strengthen the military, eliminating our reliance on the USA for mutual defence.

Build more housing
  • Options
    Go on the piss ;)
  • Options
    Increase teacher's salaries by £6k a year, to ensure that the very best graduates are competing for the jobs. That would be a starting salary of £30k, and a first year pre-qualification salary of £20k bringing it in line with the police. (£2.4bn)

Increase student nurses pay from about £4k per year to about £12k per year. (£320m). Increase nurses pay by £6k a year giving them a starting salary of about £26k (£2.4bn).

Increase the pay of armed forces by about £5k a year during periods when they're on operations (up to £950m if all staff were permanently on operations). That would mean a starting salary of about £22k rising to £27k when in a warzone.

So what's that? £6.07bn? Oh for god's sake, this is gonna take ages.

I dunno, I suppose the farmers could do with a few quid, the NHS and army could do with some new equipment, and how much would it cost to replace the entire rail network? And there are a few schemes that I would support giving a much bigger budget (proper sex education in schools, enough drugs rehabilitation centres to fit every drug-addicted person in the country in and free up the prisons for proper criminals, increased accesiblity to further education, etc). And then I oppose trident and ID cards, so I've got more money that I know what to do with. £50bn is the entire education budget. You just can't spend that sort of money.

Alternatively, I might just wait a couple more years until the exchange rate means that we could actually buy America.
  • Options

Alternatively, I might just wait a couple more years until the exchange rate means that we could actually buy America.

Just nuke the federal reserve and the Financial centres and it wouldn't be too hard. Although if you get rid of Trident you can't.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Increase Britain's self-sufficiency, much more research into fusion and tidal power.
    Rebuild British industry, become a major exporter, not importer.

Elliminate our reliance on global oil.

Strengthen the military, eliminating our reliance on the USA for mutual defence.

Build more housing
    You speak much sense sir.

I'd also use some money to renationalise the railways and build a high speed line between London and Scotland (a pet project of mine ;) ).
  • Options
    I'd buy Cristiano Ronaldo for Bradford City :razz:

On a serious note, it amuses me how the Government couldn't find £5 million to help out the Farepak families but can find £50 billion to prop up a failed bank which got into the mess because of management incompetence.

The managers there should have to repay every penny of salary or bonus for the last ten years.
  • Options
    Thank You Kermit for making me realise I'm not the only person who first thought about a new striker and who says football fans are irrational :thumb:

Seriously though the renationalisation of public transport would be a strong priority.
  • Options
    give it back
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    give it back

If you give £833 pounds to every man, woman and child in Britain, the vast majority will waste it. Much better to do something useful with the entire £50 billion than giving it to people who will spend it on bugger all.
    imho.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You speak much sense sir.

I'd also use some money to renationalise the railways and build a high speed line between London and Scotland (a pet project of mine ;) ).

If I was going to spend money on railways, it would go into Mag-lev or at least more electric lines. No point spending money on an existing technology when you can throw it at something new :D
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you give £833 pounds to every man, woman and child in Britain, the vast majority will waste it. Much better to do something useful with the entire £50 billion than giving it to people who will spend it on bugger all.
    imho.

You cant really waste money, as long as you're not burning it. Even if everyone went out and just spent it on booze it wouldnt really be wasted, the companies selling it would have a lot more money to employ people, invest etc. and it would continue round.

As for me, more money for the NHS, a general increase in public sector wages (except perhaps GP's who seem to be doing nicely), drug rehab, proper rehabilitation programmes in prisons and a bit on the national debt.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    On a serious note, it amuses me how the Government couldn't find £5 million to help out the Farepak families but can find £50 billion to prop up a failed bank which got into the mess because of management incompetence.

I guesas that all depends on how important you think that the banking industry is to the national economy when compared to farepack.

This arrangement doesn't "give" money to Northern Rock, it effectively mortgages their entire assets - another difference between this case an Farepak
  • Options
    I guesas that all depends on how important you think that the banking industry is to the national economy when compared to farepack.

This arrangement doesn't "give" money to Northern Rock, it effectively mortgages their entire assets - another difference between this case an Farepak

mortgaged and secured by government funds, so if they can't pay it back the government fills the shortfall

it's like a bank lending me money and then in case i cant pay it back, paying it back to themselves for me

whilst richard branson pockets the difference

it's things like this that show how incompetant government ministers are, and then only beaten by the tory party
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    You cant really waste money, as long as you're not burning it. Even if everyone went out and just spent it on booze it wouldnt really be wasted, the companies selling it would have a lot more money to employ people, invest etc. and it would continue round.

As for me, more money for the NHS, a general increase in public sector wages (except perhaps GP's who seem to be doing nicely), drug rehab, proper rehabilitation programmes in prisons and a bit on the national debt.

By waste, I don't mean it'll vanish and be of no use. I mean people will spend it on things that will benefit themselves or the economy only temporarily. In that respect, spending your £833 on booze or frivilous things is a waste. Far better to give it all to me so I can shape the nation into something meaningful :D muhahahaha
  • Options
    To be honest it's my money to waste...
  • Options
    mortgaged and secured by government funds, so if they can't pay it back the government fills the shortfall

it's like a bank lending me money and then in case i cant pay it back, paying it back to themselves for me

No it isn't. If they fail to pay it back then the Govt has the assets to sell off, if they want to. This would raise funds.

At the moment the bank is heading towards administration at least this way the sale of the bonds can happen over time as the market stabilises. Administration is basically the financial services equivalent of a Boot Sale.
    it's things like this that show how incompetant government ministers are, and then only beaten by the tory party

Incompetant?

They stopped the financial services sector going into meltdown, saved thousands of jobs, ensured that people with mortgages (or loans) with Northern Rock didn't lose their houses and then will get the money back.

Seriously, what is incompetant about that?
  • Options
    Incompetant?

They stopped the financial services sector going into meltdown, saved thousands of jobs, ensured that people with mortgages (or loans) with Northern Rock didn't lose their houses and then will get the money back.

Those with mortgaged wouldn't have lost their homes (if anything they'd have got them free), but in reality any administrator would have sold the mortgages off to another bank to whom the borrower would pay.

It was Government incompetence which caused the run, by announcing that Northern Rock has asked the bank of England for an emergency loan (which it didn't have to use until the Government caused panic). and then for the next few months Ministers ran around like headless chickens wrecking any chance that a buyer could be found.

it's the biggest fiasco since ERM. And in both cases a potential minor loss was made worse by dithering and incompetence.

Frankly if Darling doesn't resign over this you wonder what would make him.
  • Options
    I'd put 50bn lottery tickets on. I'd be bound to win once. :hyper:
  • Options
    No it isn't. If they fail to pay it back then the Govt has the assets to sell off, if they want to. This would raise funds.

At the moment the bank is heading towards administration at least this way the sale of the bonds can happen over time as the market stabilises. Administration is basically the financial services equivalent of a Boot Sale.

Incompetant?

northern rock up to a week or 2 ago was still selling 125% mortgages, the sort of thing tha got it into these troubles, since it automatically places the security on their mortgage into negative equity

the bank should of had it's saving guranteed to stop a run - but the emergency loan is unlikely to be paid back, the taxpayer will have fund any shortfall in these bonds issued yet at the same time any company who takes over northern rock will be able to make a nice level of profit still

so the gains will be kept private and all the risks, which banks use to justify their profit making, will be nationalised, including all their dodgy mortgages, and if the mortgages go behind, everyone loses out, but not northern rock

it's a situation where decisive action, would of in the long run been more effective than the dithering other what to do, the bank isn't solvent as the government's loan keeps it alive

if the government antd to waste £50billion, the point is, there's far better ways of doing it
  • Options
    I'd put 50bn lottery tickets on. I'd be bound to win once. :hyper:

and probably earn less than £50billion :lol:
  • Options
    it doesn't stop at £50bn either, govt can't let a bank fail for several reasons not least if the assets were marked to market it would cause a panic in the ABCP market, without these amazing valuation models several other big financial institutions are also insolvent.
  • Options
    I'd introduce some sort of scheme to encourage car sharing, such as lanes for cars with more than one occupant. I was waiting for the bus today and the road was completely clogged by cars, 95% of which had only one occupant.

More subsidies on public transport, or at least a freeze on rising fares for a few years. Every single year, the bus fares in the West Midlands have gone up 10p.

I'd scrap free travel for pensioners, or at least change it somehow, so those pensioners who have cars or are millionaires aren't eligible.

More scholarships and funding for bright pupils on low incomes to go to university.

Introduce more night buses/trains.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'd scrap free travel for pensioners, or at least change it somehow, so those pensioners who have cars or are millionaires aren't eligible.

What good would this do?
  • Options
    Abolishing universal free travel for pensioners would save hundreds of millions of pounds. That money could be used to provide free travel to low-income families to help them return to work.

Free travel should be given to those who need it, not those who are over or under a certain age. Why should the bloke on £10,000 a year have to pay for his bus when the OAP with £300,000 in savings doesn't?

As for the Northern Rock, well the Government has effectively privatised the profit and nationalised the risk. Which means the thieving management at the Rock keep their expensive houses and huge bonuses whilst the low-level workers who saved under the shares scheme lose everything and the taxpayer foots the bill.

And when the Rock is sold a new company will cream off a huge profit and the taxpayer will foot the bill for bailing the Rock out.

The savings were protected- the rest of the Rock should have been allowed to sink. As it is, we'll still have a recession but now its the taxpayer- not the Rock management- who will pick up the bill. We're in it to the tune of £50bn and I don't think we'll see a tenth of that back.

Still, we should all be glad that our money's been used to prop up incompetent bankers disgusting bonuses. The management of the Rock should be in jail.
  • Options
    Wot he said, much more clearly than I would have done!

I mean my Mum, who is in her 60s, but works, is entitled to a free travel pass. I don't begrudge her that by any means, but she has a car and can actually afford to pay the fare. I mean it's everyone else who pays for this scheme.

I do recognise that for *some* pensioners, a free bus pass is a life line for them to get out and about, to do their shopping, etc.
  • Options
    For some people it is a lifeline and they are the ones who should keep it. Anyone on a passporting benefit should get free travel, IMHO (that's income support, guaranteed pension credit and income-based JSA) and those who are in receipt of working tax credit at any rate should also get free travel.

Travel costs are often the difference between staying on benefit or returning to work. If the Government are serious about getting people off benefit then discounted or free travel will encourage people to start work.
  • Options
    Yeah, totally. Last week I had to commute and a weekly pass cost £24, which is a huge amount on a low wage.
  • Options
    Give loads of grants for:
    - university
    - training
    - professional qualifications
    - etc.

or maybe just a more robust student loan system. I.e. if you are doing training or qualifications then you can get a student loan to cover the tuition fees.

ATM I don't see why when you give back so much more to society by getting good skills, becoming internationally competitive and making the UK a centre of financial and legal services in the world, you have to foot the often massive bill yourself. With the likes of China growing if we don't want to be drowned out we need to invest in people and give them good skills and capabilities to command parts of the market where we are the best.

The UK will become a nation of office workers, soon enough - with the rest of the population supporting the main services. It's going to be one big London.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Free travel should be given to those who need it

Does this include the people who, by law, aren't allowed to drive?

One thing I would do, would be to give student grants/loans to people who are doing further education courses but have to pay for them.
  • Options
    Bus companies shouldnt be allowed to twist rules for fares either. The bus I get to school also goes past my brothers school first - on mondays there can be up to 50 kids at his school getting this bus. I can get half fare returns to town where my school is based on my student card. Yet the kids that go to his school aren't allowed to buy half fare returns until after 9 - by which time they're all at school. So they end up paying more for another return.