Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

lecturer strikes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
are anyone else's college lecturers striking? There's like this picket line outside college.

what is everyone's opinion of it? i disagree with it on a personal level, they get very well paid, my dad gets less than half of what they do and works really hard, i know that's life but college lecturers generally work less hours than school teachers anyway, and they get less hassle from students because the pupils are there because they want to learn rather than at school where they have to be there.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Moving to student
  • Options
    Do you know exactly what the rise is, either in absolute terms or as a percentage?
  • Options
    from what i know from posters around college, they've been offered a 1.5% pay rise and they want 10% to put them on a par with school teachers.
  • Options
    Seems fair, what kind of college are you talking about:A-level, FE

If they do the same job they should get payed the same, tis simple....
  • Options
    I read in the paper today that the university lecturers were gonna do the same because despite having to do at least as much work and have better qualifications that secondary teachers, they get paid less. Its the same idea.

But then i also read that 60% of people think that schools need more funding andonly 2% for Further and Higher education. Might explain it.
  • Options
    Re: lecturer strikes
    Originally posted by leese
    are anyone else's college lecturers striking? There's like this picket line outside college.

what is everyone's opinion of it? i disagree with it on a personal level, they get very well paid, my dad gets less than half of what they do and works really hard, i know that's life but college lecturers generally work less hours than school teachers anyway, and they get less hassle from students because the pupils are there because they want to learn rather than at school where they have to be there.

I think the bit you said about students wanting to learn was a bit narrow minded, what about all those students that go to college because there isnt anything else for them to do, or just to avoid having to go to work, there is quite a lot of them, particually on the lower lever courses.

And I think you may be overestimating how much a lecturer gets paid if you think that your dad gets less than half of their wage.

The difference between a lecturers wage and a teachers wage is alot more than people imagine, it can sometimes be in the reagon of 5 grand.