Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Thatcher to die on London stage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Big up to former editor of do-it.org.uk (our sister site) and still current TheSite.org and do-it freelancer Tommy G whose new play is kicking up quite a storm -

from the Uk
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,,2243836,00.html

to Canada
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080120/entertainment/entertainment_britain_theatre_politics_people_thatcher

to Iran
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=39543&sectionid=3510212

Discuss or if you just want a good night out London in he's a great writer :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good for him!

Frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about. There have been plays or ficitional TV programmes exploring the outcome of the death of a public figure before.

By the sound of it Margaret Thatcher is unlikely to be aware of the existence of the play- or indeed much else nowadays. But even if she is, she will be the first one to acknowledge she had a massive impact in Britain and her death is going to provoke all sorts of reactions, some positive and some negative.
    Is this a new form of spam?

Still I can't see what the prob is. It doesn't seem to be celebrating her death, just examining her life through the medium of an obiturary.
    I think it's more an old form of spam ;)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about.

There's something iffy about writing a play about the death of somebody who is still alive. Disrespectful perhaps?

That said, I hope the play mentions the fact that she ate puppies. Tories were unashamedly Tories back then - ahhh the good old days.
    I thought that C4 docudrama about the assassination of G. W. Bush was both insightful and throught-provoking (and a delightful bit of escapism ;) ).

The subject can be distasteful if the play seeks to rejoice in the death of someone, but if the play simply focuses on the social and political implications of Thatcher's death then I don't think it's disrespectful.
    He said: 'The playwright seems to have a problem of comprehension: Margaret Thatcher is not dead. He would have been better to write a play called The Life of Margaret Thatcher which called for her to be reinstated at Number 10.'

Hmm, think he missed the point a little...
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The subject can be distasteful if the play seeks to rejoice in the death of someone, but if the play simply focuses on the social and political implications of Thatcher's death then I don't think it's disrespectful.

Some of which from the article at least seem to be about celebrations and such.

I think it could be offensive, but playwrights always do controversial things to get more ticket sales ;). Just look at the Jerry Springer musical. It's the drama that makes the piece, after all.

Having said that, she's been in the public limelight long enough to probably shrug it off - then again, maybe she's been in the public limelight long enough and deserves a break from the death threats and so on :p.

I think it would be interesting, but for young people it's a bit abstract since she was gone before I was here. Don't like the way she did stuff, but I think I've got the decency not to celebrate anyone's death. (As some of the characters in the play will be, presumably)
    I bet you were all having orgasms when you read the words "Thatcher to die on London stage", weren't you? :p

To the idea of reinstating Margaret Thatcher at No 10 - yes, please! At least she could make decisions and actually had some idea of what she wanted her government to achieve - more than the unelected phony that currently occupies that address has got. Whilst they're at it, they can bring back proper scandals, like the Tories used to do. New Labour have the most shit political scandals, and all the LibDems ones seem to somehow involve gay sex. Only the Tories know how to really do a scandal! :p