Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Contraception and weight

Is it right that certain contraceptives can actually make you gain weight, like the pill for example?

If this is the case..are there any that can make you lose weight? Or that just won't affect it at all.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I HONESTLY didn't put any weight on during my first few months of taking Microgynon 30 (dual contraceptive pill). If I did[/b] then it was probably the same amount of fluid I retain during my period anyways!

I really wouldn't worry about it, I don't know anyone that hugely ballooned whilst on the pill.
    Most hormonal contraceptives work by tricking your body into thinking your pregnant so you do tend to gain weight or retain water more. It might not happen to you due to the way your body metabolises the hormones, but it not overly common.

A stated side effect of having the implant is that is can make you lose weight in some cases (and I lost about 3lbs in the first week). I've even managed to lose weight and keep it off as well since I've had it inserted.
    I put on alot of weight on microgynon 30 nearly 3 stone, I have since switched to losterine, but haven't lost the weight i put on with my first pill.
    Like any other medication the side effects vary from one to another. Most list weight gain as a possible side effect. Most also list blood clot, stroke, gallbladder disease and who knows what else as possible side effects, they have to cover their ass! I didn't gain any weight while on any contraceptive. Bigger boobs on one, which was shocking as I come from a long line of flat women.
    :o

But think of the positives, if they did grow you'd have to go out and buy a whole new set of bras ;)

(unless you enjoy bra shopping, of course, but panty shopping is much funner)

And they aren't much bigger :angel:
    ive put on a bit of weight since i started the pill i think it gives you cravins it just up to u weather you eat of not
    i put a lot of weight on whilst on the pill (was on micro, then celeste, then noriday) i also got huge boobs...was only ever a 32a...I am now a 36DD

alot of people thought i used the pill as an excuse

but to be honest, the weight was really getting me down (i aint hideously fat, i just aint used to being that bit heavier...i was always only 8stone) and i decided to come off the pill in october

the weight loss since has been incredible...even my auntie (who rarely gives compliments) has commented on my weight loss, even my mum who sees me all day every day has noticed it

unfortunately, my boobs are shrinking haha

anyone who says that the pill cannot make you put weight on is wrong, and i've proved that to a few of my mates since coming off it in october

BUT having said that, my mate's been on micro for a year and hasnt put more than 3lbs on, it is different for everyone

if you wanna go on the pill, go on it, but if you start wanting more food, or putting an obscene amount of weight on, either come off it or speak to someone and try another one
    :o

But think of the positives, if they did grow you'd have to go out and buy a whole new set of bras ;)

(unless you enjoy bra shopping, of course, but panty shopping is much funner)

And they aren't much bigger :angel:

yeah but maternity bra shopping isnt quite so much fun
    eurgh you lot who got bigger boobs :mad: :p

I've been on Cilest about 3 months now and yup I've put on weight but I don't know if I can blame it 100% on the pill.