Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

going back to school??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Here's my story: I went into college right after I graduated high school. I lived in the dorms and had a great social time, but my grades were greatly suffering, which caused quite a chain of reactions: I was put on academic probation and I wasn't allowed to live in the dorms any more. After that I decided (with the strong persuasion of my parents), to attend a community college instead of university. Half way through my first semester I dropped out because I couldn't stand the pressure my parents were putting on me to get a degree when I haven't the slightest idea what I want to do with my life. I took the rest of the year off from school to regroup my thoughts and this fall I'm going to go back to the university because I want to and not because I'm being pressured to. I know that will make going to class and doing schoolwork a lot easier since I'm going by choice, but I know that as soon as I start my parents will nudge their ways back into my school life and insist to know that everything's going well...they'll probably even ask for progress reports from my professors or something. Their constant nagging is what makes me lose interest in classes and school, but every time I tell them just to let me be and I'll do fine, my mom goes into quite a tirade about how they're paying for my schooling and they have every right to do this. It sounds a bit funny that the reason that I dropped out of college in the first place was because of my parents, but I'm at a complete loss of how to keep them out of my way so I can get this done with the way I want to do it!! Any suggestions??
Post edited by JustV on