Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Having sniffles and sleeping

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Now, I know we all get colds from time to time, so what do you do to get yourself to sleep?

I have great trouble sleeping when I cant breathe...and I want to steal your tips!

Please donate them here.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Otrivine nasal spray - pure genius in a bottle.
    It depends, I always get head colds so I get headaches and a blocked nose. I use olbas oil or nasal spray for the nose and paracetamol for the headache.

for sleeping, give warm milk a go.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Otrivine nasal spray - pure genius in a bottle.

I aint ever heard of that, can you get it from the chemist over the counter?

I have used Vicks instead of Olbas, and it is doing bugger all and taking Nytol to sleep.

All a bit of a mess really! But I am pretty much fine with the cold during the day :)
    Benadryl extra strength cold and sinus. Clears out your nose and sinuses as good as any pseudoephedrine, but it doesn't contain any (I believe) so it won't keep you up. Its a lifesaver for snotty me :yes:
    Sudafed to clear your nose, you need to take it a good half an hour before bed for it to work really well.

Prop your head up by using three pillow, the bottom two at 45 degree angles to each other and the third flat on top, lifts your head up enough to aid your breathing, but its a bit odd to sleep at with your head that high up.
    Yeah, you can buy otrivine in boots - it's on the shelf, you don't need to get it from the pharmacy. I recommend the one for sinusitis it's magical.
    do you know how much it is ilora?

i will do that pillow trick tonight purplebutterfly :)

Manda, we can be snotty sisters...nice!
    I usually have a double does of Lemsip and neck 3/4 paracetemol before I go to bed, but I wouldn't advise you do that! How I'm still alive is beyond me :eek:

A few drops of Olbas on your pillow is a better idea, might not help you sleep but clear you up a bit for the next day :thumb:
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I usually have a double does of Lemsip and neck 3/4 paracetemol before I go to bed, but I wouldn't advise you do that! How I'm still alive is beyond me :eek:

A few drops of Olbas on your pillow is a better idea, might not help you sleep but clear you up a bit for the next day :thumb:

well after the fly spray incident I think you may be invincable!
    Karvol on the pillow, or a flanel on the pillow, and a steamy hot shower just before bed.
    Otrivine is £1.99 on the boots website :)
    cold actually seems to have gone, but I think I may invest in this stuff when I am next at the supermarket :)
    Calpol have a vapour plug/night light. -

"The Calpol Vapour Plug & Nightlight contains a blend of aromatic oils including lavender, chamomile, menthol, camphor and eucalyptus. These oils help to soothe and comfort your child at night time whilst helping to clear and ease breathing."

You could give that a try.
    When I'm blocked up the only thing I can do to help is sleep sat up!