Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

If you could go back in time...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, new to this forum (as you can see!), but I have been browsing it for a couple of years :)

My question is: If you could go back in time and speak with your younger self, before you had tried drugs (illegal or otherwise), what advice would you give yourself?

For example Would you:
...advise against trying anything?
…advise yourself not to try certain substances?
…say you should have tried more while you had the chance?
…say you should wait until you are older before ‘starting’
…or say nothing at all, you are please with your decisions so far!

For myself, I would say:

Don’t bother spending SO much money on drink while going out at UNI (but maybe that’s just the students right of passage). The nights involving large memory loss are mostly pointless!

Refrain purchasing coke(although Ive only bought maybe a total of £200). It generally turns out to be a waste of money and just makes me edgy.

Limit mdma usage to once every 2 months max(it was once a month for the 1st year). Moderation is the key!

At this moment in time I would not tell myself to never have tried anything. If I have any long term side effects, this opinion may change.

Sen.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd give similar advice as I do to anyone young, be very careful with what you do because the effects on a developing brain and personality are varied and difficult to predict.
    honestly, i'd say to myself - "don't bother!" :D
    Just not to take as many E's or shrooms and don't bother with dope at all. :)
    ^ What the Irish man said.

I didn't really enjoy shrooms...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Not to smoke and to stay clear of coke. Other than that I'd do it all over again.
    Weekender Offender 
    Agreed, not bother smoking at all, and stay well clear of doing speed.
    i wouldn't really change a thing except to smoke a bit less perhaps but hey it was too much fun, i'm glad to have the experiences and perspectives moving forward and it's no longer a big mystery so i can get on with the rest of my life!

don't get me wrong i'm not advocating you should try every drug someone offers you, i was always fairly sensible which is probably why i don't have any regrets :)
    no speed binges, dont bother with a very heavy addiction to weed for several years, try not to go into big double figures with e's, don't go on diazepam binges (!!)

other than that its all gravy :D
    dont have alot of experience in this field: but i would go back and tell myself to be more careful when out in town so that my drinks didnt get spiked.

Also to have never tried coke, i was lucky but some of my friends now have an exspensive weekend habbit:no:
    Be really aware of who you are with and who you are going to be with later when you're mashed, what their current and prediced state will be, especially as a female.
    to change the question a bit,

if you could go back in time, with the knowledge you have now, what would you do as your first drop? what pill? with whom? what kinda music? what would you have wanted to be your first time on pills
    katralla wrote: »
    Be really aware of who you are with and who you are going to be with later when you're mashed, what their current and prediced state will be, especially as a female.

definitely :(

That's it really, apart from that I wouldn't change anything.
    I wouldn't change much tbh maybe I would have been a bit more careful when I first started.

Like excepting beanies off randomers and going back to strangers houses to snort large ammounts of cocaine .. I think I would just tell myself to be more careful about the company I was keeping.
    my girlfriend smokes weed and it really bugs me (she's younger than me i'm 21 shes 16) i know however that she's not ready to stop atm so i try to keep my mouth shut, nothing would sour the relationship more than me preaching all the time, she doesnt smoke it alot but does it with friends maybe once or twice a week, more if shes at parties, not trying to hijack the thread btw just saying that i'm kinda looking at the same thing from another pov, you cant however put an old head on young shoulders, i've seen people who were good friends become total weed feinds who care nothing more than where the next joint comes from, i'd just hate to think of her turning out like that cos she's such a fun and bubbly person
    Wouldn't change anything really, I only have the occasional smoke of the peace pipe and an average alchohol consumption.

Tried coke a few times lately and it did nothing for me except send me a paranoid for a while and gave me a stiffy for the rest of the weekend. Nice to have tried it though and I don't feel the need to go back to it so no regrets.
    I really wouldn't change a thing. I was always with a close group of friends or friends of friends, more of a hang out on the couch kind of person than a clubber and all that. Alot of days I still dream and wish I could go back to the good ol days. I'd like to say I'd tell myself to stay away from the weird otc bogus old wives tales things like eating a crapload of nutmeg or taking a whole bottle of motion sickness pills and stupid stuff like that when we ran out of stuff, and being in a small town when you ran out, everybody ran out... but I really wouldn't, made for a story the next day at least. I enjoyed it all at the time and since I was probably lucky in a few cirmstances and didn't have any bad experiences, I wouldn't. Though I definatly wouldn't have ever worn long sleeves while doing coke. I'd chew the wrist bands and I ruined so many shirts! Looked like I had a moth infestation at my house.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I'd like to say I'd tell myself to stay away from the weird otc bogus old wives tales things like eating a crapload of nutmeg or taking a whole bottle of motion sickness pills and stupid stuff like that when we ran out of stuff

Both of which will get you high, but dangerously.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Both of which will get you high, but dangerously.

Exactly, both are linked to liver and kidney damage if I remember rightly.
    I remember eating a whole load of saffron in an attempt to get high.
    katchika wrote: »
    I remember eating a whole load of saffron in an attempt to get high.

Even if it worked you probably picked the most expensive item on earth by weight to consume.
    I found it in the cupboard at my parents house!
    I would try more stuff.
    /
    Don't think I would change anything really... I don't even regret smoking for 7 years. I enjoyed it at the time.
    Enjoy! :D
    I would say put on the voice of a belligerant Indian uncle from Goodness Gracious Me and shout; 'you do bloody homework, ya?' :D
    A simple 'As you were' would suffice. I don't regret much.
    A few things:

(1) Don't go near acid, ever.

(2) Don't go into double figures when taking ecstacy tablets and don't get into a weekly habit as I did a couple of years ago.

(3) Don't drink on ketamine.

(4) Don't waste a year at uni smoking dope and rarely going out.

(5) Don't buy coke from people you don't know - it will more than likely be shit.

(6) Valium is a god-send for comedowns.