Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moles where the sun don't shine.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today I noticed that I have some moles on my junk. I always thought that moles were caused by over exposure to the sun. What could have caused them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your body, my friend.
    Melanin is a natural pigment that gives your skin its color. It's produced in cells called melanocytes, either in the top layer of the skin (epidermis) or the outer layers of the skin's second layer (dermis). Melanin is then transported to the surface cells of your skin. Normally, melanin is distributed evenly, but sometimes melanocytes grow together in a cluster, giving rise to moles.

Scientists don't know why moles develop or what purpose they serve, if any, although they do appear to be determined before birth. Most moles are harmless and don't require special care, but some people have unusual-looking moles, called dysplastic nevi, which are more likely to turn cancerous than ordinary moles are.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/moles/DS00121/DSECTION=3
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thanks
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you have suddenly developed them, or had them a while and they have just changed, you need to get them checked out :thumb:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I have a hair growing out of one on my face :yuck:

It's not noticeable, but I know it is there!