Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Facebook Pictures...DISCUSS!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im with my first boyfriend since having a facebook account and realised that there are so many pictures on it of me and him etc etc....looking into the future Im wondering what will happen when/if i split up with him...how will future boyfriends take it?! Any body has this create problems in other realtionships etc etc

Comments

• Options
    untag them?
  • Options
    try getting some photos up of ur self!
    I broke up with my girlfriend a while back and all my photos of me was either with her or some of our friends who now hate me for breaking up with her!
    so basically i had pics which reminded me of bad times,
    so try getting some pics of ur self or with some friends!

pics don't always have to include ur other half!
  • Options
    truly an issue of the 21st century...
  • Options
    the bloke i have recently started seeing has lots of pictures of him with other girls on his facebook. i know they are only mates but still...i'm a stupid girl and get jealous/insecure
  • Options
    Can't you just delete the pictures if you want...
  • Options
    Why are you bothering about what will happen when you split up and get another boyfriend? Why not actually concentrate on the boyfriend you have now instead?

Talk about creating problems that don't exist.
  • Options
    You'd take them down I suppose.....
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    truly an issue of the 21st century...

lol
  • Options
    funny you bring facebook up, as on my profile there is 1 picture of my and my boyfriend and we have been together 4 years.

all my pictures are of me and my friends out in town. my b.f does hate having his pitcture though and has the whole of 7 pictures on his profile
  • Options
    yeah pretty simple, don't worry about it for now. If it does come to a split then delete those that are yours and untag those which others have put up. If you're left with no photos then so be it.

Pretty much what I did.
  • Options
    mm
  • Options
    You'd take them down I suppose.....

What about the photos ? :naughty:
  • Options
    Aren't there more important things in life than this?
  • Options
    Why would they have an issue?

People go in and out of relationships... It's not abnormal to go out with somebody and then move on to a new relationship. It's not a bad thing to have a picture of you with a current partner.

Seriously... If they had an issue with something as silly as facebook, why would you want to be with somebody? It could be the start of a petty and posessive relationship.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Why would they have an issue?

People go in and out of relationships... It's not abnormal to go out with somebody and then move on to a new relationship. It's not a bad thing to have a picture of you with a current partner.

Seriously... If they had an issue with something as silly as facebook, why would you want to be with somebody? It could be the start of a petty and posessive relationship.

Dunno, not really a classy thing to do to have reminders of you and your ex out there for all (including current partner) to see.

If a girlfriend had photos of an ex that would be one thing, if she kept one on top of the TV then i'd be mighty pissed.

I think most people accept we all have pasts, but we don't want reminders of it everywhere.
  • Options
    Who gives a fuck?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I am sorry to say, but it does seem a very silly thing to be worried about.

You arent in the hypothetical sitution you mention and even if you were, it wouldnt be an issue, you would just un-tag yourself.

There is nothing to DISCUSS!!!
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote: »
    Dunno, not really a classy thing to do to have reminders of you and your ex out there for all (including current partner) to see.

If a girlfriend had photos of an ex that would be one thing, if she kept one on top of the TV then i'd be mighty pissed.

I think most people accept we all have pasts, but we don't want reminders of it everywhere.
    It's Facebook... One thing is having a shrine to your ex in the bedroom, another is having a few pictures up on the internet. :yeees:

Don't look at them if you have an issue with it.
  • Options
    This is similar to the Facebook 'angst' of the dreaded relationship status indicator.

At which point should you change it to 'in a relationship', because it immediately becomes public for anyone on Facebook you know. Is it too soon etc.

Or if you don't change the status, and you are a few weeks / months into the relationship, what does your other half think when your profile still professes you to be single.

Oh the horror.... (hmm, just realised there's not a suitable sarcastic smiley to insert just here.)

I can understand the OP's position - who hasn't Googled a crush or new b/f or g/f 'just to see' what they might find.

Everyone has skeletons in their closet. Unfortunately the same photo's that would have been left in a drawer to be forgotten about 5 years ago are now available forever on the internet thanks to social networking websites. If a person is truly that worried about what we say or who we're with, then they'd never have an Internet presence (or possibly leave the house and venture into the big wide world.)

I can only offer advice similar to what's been given already. Remove photo's that you can yourself. Untag others. Request your photo's are removed from other peoples profiles. But most of all, don't worry about it and live for the moment :)
  • Options
    Its almost as bad when you cancel a relationship and you get loads of people texting you asking whats the craic, even worse, if the ex doesnt change their status, they still show up as being in a relationship, making people think they have been cheating on you.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Its almost as bad when you cancel a relationship and you get loads of people texting you asking whats the craic, even worse, if the ex doesnt change their status, they still show up as being in a relationship, making people think they have been cheating on you.
    Or when you change your status to "engaged" and your OH hasn't accepted it yet and a million and one people ask you why you've broken up, because on Facebook it says "so-and-so and so-and-so have ended their relationship".
  • Options
    I am possibly the nosiest person ever on facebook, but I wouldn't make a bit deal of people having photos of their exes on there. As if people actually care, just because you split up doesn't mean they cease to exist or ever be part of your life. As long as they aren't all photos of you kissing with pink hearts photoshopped onto them and a heart framing both of your faces I wouldn't worry too much. If they are, I recommend you get out a bit more.

And I somehow managed to avoid mass interrogation when I changed my facebook status. One of my friends actually had to remind me to do it thats how much my facebook relationship status concerns me :chin:
  • Options
    my OH aint on facebook atm but sure he will be. that must really suck when you break up, as if its not hard enough but then have to go through interrogation from ll your mates on Facbook too!

I hardly ever get on there, so havent got many pics on there, but my photoalbums are (unfortunatly) full of pics of exes-not because Im a freak you understand, but because my travelling etc and holidays has been with them, and just coz they mostly turned out to be fu**ers, I still went to those places and experienced those things, and I dont wanna forget the stuff Ive done. if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    Lol, I do have facebook, but I just use it to keep in touch with a few friends and to keep myself amused at work. Some people take it so seriously though, it's like some sort of parallel universe. If taken to seriously, it can be great at destroying perfectly good relationships as well...!
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    One of my friends actually had to remind me to do it thats how much my facebook relationship status concerns me :chin:

haha, me too, my boyfriends still says single and mine says nothing at all, like it always has. i hate that whole changing it thing, its just for nosy people who would automatically be like oooh im gonna have a nosy at their new boyfriend/girlfriend (which i know because i've done it myself, haha) and also i had that the whole of your facebook friends would know when you break up. its stupid.
  • Options
    Ah facebook. I wouldn't worry too much. I have numerous pictures from 2 relationships I've had.

The only thing that once pissed me off is when one of my ex's tagged a photo of me and him kissing from about 8 months earlier (it had been up for months but I never tagged myself in it), right when I had just split with my bf of the time, and a week later I got this letter from aforementioned ex asking if we could make another go of it when I got back to the UK. I personally thought it was a bit of an arsehole-ish move concerning I had been loved up and happy, he certainly wouldn't of tagged it whilst I had a bf and course the dude I just split up with emailed asking how recent it was etc...is there something he should know.

To be honest, couply photo's from past relationships don't bother me. The two ex's I've had have changed their status' and sent me an acceptance email :yeees: Facebook knows I'm in a relationship before I do I swear.
  • Options
    Lol, I do have facebook, but I just use it to keep in touch with a few friends and to keep myself amused at work. Some people take it so seriously though, it's like some sort of parallel universe. If taken to seriously, it can be great at destroying perfectly good relationships as well...!

I need to have your outlook on life lol!! I know you're right but sometimes a picture can tell a 1,000 and more words and it can lead you to doubt partners words/actions. I'm avoiding facebook from now on don't need the added hassle!
  • Options
    snowman123 wrote: »

I can understand the OP's position - who hasn't Googled a crush or new b/f or g/f 'just to see' what they might find.

That is really really frightening.
  • Options
    That is really really frightening.
    If you put my real name into Google, you will find the details of a rugby player. Could leave any potential girlfriends with the wrong impression, to say the least. :p
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    One thing is having a shrine to your ex in the bedroom

That's not what I said.

A friend of mine used to have a picture of her and her ex up in her kitchen. I thought this was a little odd and certainly wouldn't like it if I was her boyfriend, but she didn't see the problem.

Is there really much difference?