Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

car insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just out of curiousity, how much do you pay?

what age are ya? what group insurance is your car/type of car? got NCB?

over here in northern ireland, parts of belfast specifically, insurance is an absolute joke, cuz of the amount of joyriding

i was getting quotes of around 3 - 4k for lowest group cars, the likes of 1 litre fiestas/saxos/106's etc, absolute joke

luckily i got put under someone elses insurance as a named driver and paid 1250 on insurance for a relatively nippy car :)

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    £440 Fully Comp for the most boring car I've had in ages a Vectra. Feel a bit ripped off tbh.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i'm 24, been driving nearly 7 years, 4 years NCB, Fiat Stilo 16v 6 Speed and its about £450 fully comp
  • Options
    22, been driving nearly 4 years, and I pay about £280 for fully comp on a 1.3 R reg fiesta :) 3-4k is ridiculous!
  • Options
    21, with 19 yr old brother on it. Had full licenses 3 and 1.5 years respectively, and he's had 1 bump.

£900 with tax fully comp on a 52 reg 1.2 Clio.

:rolleyes: At the teenage boy
  • Options
    I used to work for an insurance company. When the system would come up with a quote of £3k-£4k the company knew it wasn't competitive. It was never meant to be.

To discourage a certain group of driver (usually young lads) the computer would just churn out a ridiculous quote to scare them off. We couldn't turn around a refuse to quote them just because they were young, old or drove an expensive car (think discrimination lawsuits). All we could do to scare unwanted business off, was to come up with an over the top quote.

When a company wants your business they will be very competitive. Just shop around until you find a company that wants your business. :thumb:
  • Options
    Good advice calvo :thumb:
  • Options
    £575 for a 1.6 Primera with 1 years no claims. But I just paid £62 for a months insurance instead because I'm getting rid.
  • Options
    Just under £300, fully comp (with no claims protection) on a new Ford KA (group 2). Am over 25 and have 5 years no claims.

If you are getting massively high quotes, it could be to do with the area you live in. My insurance literally halved when I moved from my student house in leeds to my mum and dad's. If you live in an area with a high rate of car theft they will be whacking up the premiums like they're going out of fashion
  • Options
    I'm 24 1/2 got 6 1/2 years no claims, drive a 1.8 54 plate Focus, never had an accident and I pay £550 a year fully comp. It's due to go down significantly when i'm 25 apparently.
  • Options
    I ride a scooter and my insurance is about £100 a year third party.
  • Options
    Mr Glittery is the policy holder for ours, Im just a named driver.

So he's 25, 6 years no claims, insurance group 19 car, £1080 a year fully comp.
  • Options
    29 yrs old, 9yrs no claims 9 years no claims, held liesence for 12yrs, VWpolo (also 12 yrs old) (I havent had it since new tho) think its 240 odd full comp, but am moving back to the ghetto so its bound to go up (yes there are ghetto in Bucks, trust!)
  • Options
    21. 3 years no claims, saxo 1.1, fully comp = £1200. with Endsleigh.
  • Options
    28, Fiat Panda 100HP, live in W2 (central London), 5 years NCB (6 this year) and it's approx £600.
  • Options
    18, only passed my test in nov last year, corsa, £700ish third party fire and theft with endsleigh, which i thought was good for a new and young driver.
  • Options
    I'm 23, I've had a full licence since June 2007. I drive a Citroen AX from 1995. It's an old car, but extremely cheap to use and maintain. I've got fully comprehensive insurance from the Post Office, I paid £632 to insure it. It was by far the cheapest quote I had - the most expensive being £1,800 from Barclays!
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I used to work for an insurance company. When the system would come up with a quote of £3k-£4k the company knew it wasn't competitive. It was never meant to be.

To discourage a certain group of driver (usually young lads) the computer would just churn out a ridiculous quote to scare them off. We couldn't turn around a refuse to quote them just because they were young, old or drove an expensive car (think discrimination lawsuits). All we could do to scare unwanted business off, was to come up with an over the top quote.

When a company wants your business they will be very competitive. Just shop around until you find a company that wants your business. :thumb:

nah mate NI is just a joke!

id be extremely impressed to get a quote of under 1k for any car over the next loada years
    If you are getting massively high quotes, it could be to do with the area you live in.

afaik it goes by postcode?

a lot of this city is hell for car theft and joyriding, unfortunately including the part i live in

i wouldnt even ever cash in on insurance for a car, would probably double at least!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    afaik it goes by postcode?
    Certainly can. Postcode is a big factor. Here's a little example for you. Last summer, I worked in an arcade, and one of my colleagues was also called Danny, a 29 year old.. He bought himself a brand new car. He wanted to insure it. He quickly found out that, if he stated that he lived on the holiday park, the cost of his insurance would more than double. Why? Because there's more people around, therefore the risk of a theft or of something happening to the car is higher. That's what one insurance company told him. So he insured his car with another company, claiming that his car was based at his home address in Wigan.

He saved a lot of money, but there's just one problem with that. If he had an accident in North Wales, the insurance company would have wanted to know why he was here. If they found out he was working here, they would have sufficient reason to refuse his claim.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'm 23, I've had a full licence since June 2007. I drive a Citroen AX from 1995. It's an old car, but extremely cheap to use and maintain. I've got fully comprehensive insurance from the Post Office, I paid £632 to insure it. It was by far the cheapest quote I had - the most expensive being £1,800 from Barclays!

whats your excess?
  • Options
  • Options
    £575 for a 1.6 Primera with 1 years no claims. But I just paid £62 for a months insurance instead because I'm getting rid.

After all those threads and posts about buying it!! TSK!!
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »

So he's 25, 6 years no claims, insurance group 19 car, £1080 a year fully comp.

Woah, what car is that?

And nice motor G_angel
  • Options
    And nice motor G_angel

Cheers!

Bit of a step down from the 350Z, but it's absolutely brilliant fun to drive and perfect for Central London :D

Love it - and cheap enough to keep on for 'sensible' transport for when I get another stupid car ;)
  • Options
    I would say postcode is one of the biggest factors in determining your car insurance quote. If you lived and Manchester, Liverpool or London postcode the insurance company i worked for wouldn't touch you with a bargepole.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    You're like an oracle of knowledge :heart:

You know it baby ;)

:D
  • Options
    I would say postcode is one of the biggest factors in determining your car insurance quote. If you lived and Manchester, Liverpool or London postcode the insurance company i worked for wouldn't touch you with a bargepole.

if you move halfway through the year to a low risk area do they change how much you pay?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    if you move halfway through the year to a low risk area do they change how much you pay?

Yes.

It depends how long is left on the policy though. Generally if you move from an inner city to a countryside location. The reduction will be obvious.
  • Options
    Yes.

It depends how long is left on the policy though. Generally if you move from an inner city to a countryside location. The reduction will be obvious.

thats what i'm doing. need to renew my insurance the start of feb and will be moving from cardiff to a smaller town in march
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Do they give u a refund on whats left on the policy if there's a difference?

They will either reduce your monthly payments or send you a refund for the difference.
  • Options
    They will either reduce your monthly payments or send you a refund for the difference.

yay!!!