Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"Rock" Nights in clubs or dedicated rock venues?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Im curious...the best rock nights in this area have always been weekly/monthly ones held in regular mainstream clubs....but the dedicated "rock" venues we've had have never been all that good. For example, one of the best at the moment is held in a Jumpin Jaks and another in a "trendy" club that neighbours a strip club. Where as the dedicated venue, all be it being one of the best for gigs, is a bit crap.
We dont have anything like Jillys or Rock City here so maybe we just have a shitty club but what about everyone else?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    in cardiff we have 3 rock clubs that i regularly go to

- generally ill go to 'metros' (tho since new years its been taken over by new management and turned a bit crap)
    or if not there then barfly, and then failing that we'll go to a club called iforbach - which is not strictly rock, but has a floor dedicated to it.

generally tho, i usually prefer to just go to our union on friday nights for their rock nite - most of my friends there and music can be very good.

cardiff needs a new rock club :impissed: bored of the ones there are currently
    is iforbach the one also called the welsh club? I've been there.
    In Glasgow the best rock nights are in a dedicated club called The Cathouse. Rock nights in normal clubs tend to be shit with the regular shirt, black trousers and shiny buckle shoes crowd turning up and the DJ trying to cater to them with shitty generic watered down rock music.

Cathouse pretty much covers all ends of the rock spectrum, with classic rock, metal, nu-metal, emo, bit of glam/sleaze, some industrial. There's a few other 'speciality' nights in different places (industrial night called Bedlam @ QMU, industrial/ebm/tech @ Barfly called Digital Harlot, Glam/sleaze/GnR style rock @ Capitol called Dollhouse etc). Those are pretty good.

Oh, and I've pretty much stopped paying attention to any flyer advertising a club/night with shit like "The very best in chart, R&B, and rock!". Usually you suffer through all the God awful cheesy pop music for Livin' on a Prayer to be played.
    we have a rock club in chatham called The Manor..it's awwwwwwwful. Really notorious for letting in under-agers too.
    we dont really have any dedicated 'rock' clubs in bolton (booo), just a few pubs etc, but there was a club called New York New York (its a chain I think?) whichusually plays cheese but on Thursdays they had a 'rock and metal night' and it was dead good, the drinks were all £1 each which i think helped. i think it depends on what dj you have playing!

mind you the dedicated rock venues in manchester are all pretty good i reckon. like a bit of em all.
    Electric Ballroom in Camden. Best rock club I've ever been to pretty much.
    In MK we have Shout! which does a rock/indie night on a monday. It's shit, but if you wanna ogle at the rockers, it's alright. Shame the music's crap and the floor is so sticky you can't move.

oh balls, I remembersed when I had pressed reply that my boyfriends playing there soon-but thats a complete lie, hes playing at the Underworld.
    whoops. I am an idiot, and once youve presed reply theres no going back.:blush:
    Lankygirl wrote: »
    and once youve presed reply theres no going back.:blush:

Except the edit button...
    yes smart guy, but still had to reply so thought Id give u a giggle at how stooopid i can be

Is it really?

I've been to a few 'rock' or 'alternative' nights in London, mostly in Kingston and all they play is chart indie and maybe a RATM track just to be hardcore. :rolleyes: I fucking hate them... They're just full of unfriendly uppity trendies...

Is Electric Ballroom quite friendly then?
    All the wankery up-themselves indie types go to the Barfly but the real hardcore lot go to the Ballroom.

It's a proper rock/metal place (at least on Fridays) though make sure you don't go on the 1st friday of every month as that's the industrial / goth night.

http://www.electric-ballroom.co.uk/club_nights/index.html
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Namaste wrote: »
    Is Electric Ballroom quite friendly then?

It is, and I should know... I work there :p
    Namaste wrote: »
    I've been to a few 'rock' or 'alternative' nights in London, mostly in Kingston and all they play is chart indie and maybe a RATM track just to be hardcore. :rolleyes: I fucking hate them... They're just full of unfriendly uppity trendies...

*Cough*Barcas?*Cough* Been there a couple of times, play alright music but the people there are normally a bit boring.

There about two/three devoted rock clubs in brighton and about half a dozen good rock pubs, and a couple of indie/sometimes rock clubs. The rock nights at Hove Town hall used to be the best though.
    We used to have an indie night every week in one of the clubs in town. It was good for the first few weeks, but then it just got boring. I think the first few weeks were when the students were back home, and then they all fucked off to uni, and there aren't many over-18, non-students to fill a place. The music was a bit shit though, and really inconsistant. They'd play a bit of Stone Roses and Arcade Fire, and follow it up with some shit from Avril Lavigne or Fall Out Boy (because if it has guitars, so it must be indie music). In no other music night would they employ a DJ who doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to the genre. But yeah, it was held in an ordinary club on a Thursday night.

We also have a live music place where all the bands play too, but it's not a club, it allows under-18's in (legally), and it sells cans out of a fridge rather than having a real bar. And I've been there once to watch my cousin's band, and doubt I'll be going back.
    We also have a live music place where all the bands play too, but it's not a club, it allows under-18's in (legally), and it sells cans out of a fridge rather than having a real bar. And I've been there once to watch my cousin's band, and doubt I'll be going back.

Most decent sized cities have a few venue's like this one... it's how the whole retarded straight edge, 'X' on back of hand thing started D:
    I warrington we have WA1 which is a bit more indie but does have a lot of bands playing there. There is also casis which is a bit more rockier. Oh and Level which is indie/cheese..but with £1 drinks I ain't complaining about a bit of Dolly 9to 5 ;)

When I lived in Liverpool I used to love the Krazy House which is three floors with metal, rock/indie and then a bit of everything on the third floor. Also Le Bataue was good for indie nights as well as Korova, which always had some good live bands on :thumb:
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I warrington we have WA1 which is a bit more indie but does have a lot of bands playing there. There is also casis which is a bit more rockier. Oh and Level which is indie/cheese..but with £1 drinks I ain't complaining about a bit of Dolly 9to 5 ;)

When I lived in Liverpool I used to love the Krazy House which is three floors with metal, rock/indie and then a bit of everything on the third floor. Also Le Bataue was good for indie nights as well as Korova, which always had some good live bands on :thumb:

ooof i love krazy house, its so good there! iv been to casis too :D but i didnt think much of it, it was alright.
    ooof i love krazy house, its so good there! iv been to casis too :D but i didnt think much of it, it was alright.

Casis is a bit of a dump and full of 12 year olds :rolleyes: It's alright once in a while but you soon realise the DJ only ever plays the same songs every night!
    haha, funnily enough i went with my 16 year old cousin who obviously has no ID but never got asked, she was a reg :D