Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Michael Portillo - Death Penalty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone watch Horizon last night? Michael Portillo was looking for the perfect way to kill a human, that didn't cause suffering. The way he found was actually quite good, but it didn't surprise me one bit that the pro death penalty lot wanted nothing to do with it. Just reinforced my opinion that the pro death penalty lobby are driven far more by anger and a lust for revenge than any genuine desire to reduce crime and make it a safer world.

Here's a link to the programme.

And a seperate note, I wouldn't mind a go of that method of execution, without actually going all the way of course.

Comments

• Options
    yeah i thought it was all a bit odd to be honest, made even wierder with portillo hosting....

that dude at the end did it for me, saying it wouldnt be fair on the the victims of the prisoner if was painless.

absolute fruit loops
  • Options
    what was the method?
  • Options
    Everyone who is a supporter of the death penalty should be made to personally end somebody's life at least once.
  • Options
    If hanging was still legal would anyone go and watch?
  • Options
    The coctail of drugs used in the lethal injection is just plain bonkers, why they picked those is a total mystery, especially now its banned for animal use because its cruel. What exactly is wrong with just an OD of barbs?
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw it too.

I wondered whether something like that could be used in the countries where euthanasia isnt illegal.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Everyone who is a supporter of the death penalty should be made to personally end somebody's life at least once.

I have a similar opinion actually, maybe not made to actually end someone's life but at least research it properly or go and watch it happen.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    what was the method?

It was the same as the gas chamber, but the room was filled with nitrogen, rather than cyanide (which causes immense pain if the prisoner doesn't cooperate - something shown to be impossible on the programme). Putting the body in an airless room causes cardiac arrest, which is extremely painful, whereas replacing oxygen with nitrogen effectively makes them feel high before they blackout and die. Portillo had a big grin on his face, it was funny (they didn't go all the way unfortunately :p). It's currently being tested as a method of killing in abattoirs.
  • Options
    It was the same as the gas chamber, but the room was filled with nitrogen, rather than cyanide (which causes immense pain if the prisoner doesn't cooperate - something shown to be impossible on the programme). Putting the body in an airless room causes cardiac arrest, which is extremely painful, whereas replacing oxygen with nitrogen effectively makes them feel high before they blackout and die. Portillo had a big grin on his face, it was funny (they didn't go all the way unfortunately :p). It's currently being tested as a method of killing in abattoirs.

Yeah, it was amazing when they were saying "put the mask on or you'll die, you will die, put it on" or whatever they were asking him to do, and he just had this big grin like he didn't care if he died or not.
  • Options
    RaggyDoll wrote: »
    I have a similar opinion actually, maybe not made to actually end someone's life but at least research it properly or go and watch it happen.

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty - but that always seemed skewed logic to me. It's like saying if you support the woman's right to choose you should perform an abortion or if you eat meat you ought to go and work in an abbatoir...
  • Options
    I don't like that argument either. And tbh, most of the people I've seen that support the death penalty would probably be more than happy to do it themselves anyway. I've never heard an argument for it that isn't based on emotions rather than facts, and the people that support the death penalty ime seem to be driven by anger and revenge (also known as justice when they want to appear reasonable in front of the TV cameras).
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »

Iran execute teenagers in public and people watch. Thousands watched the last public hanging in the US.

And millions of people watched Saddam's execution, hanging might be illegal here but right now people will be watching it on youtube...
  • Options
    Iran execute teenagers in public and people watch. Thousands watched the last public hanging in the US.

And millions of people watched Saddam's execution, hanging might be illegal here but right now people will be watching it on youtube...

I think watching it on the computer is different to seeing it live though. I could sit and watch someone be stabbed to death in a film but if I saw that in front of me I'd probably be sick.
  • Options

Aha, cheers. Sounds like he enjoyed himself, shame they didn't offer him a tangerine :rolleyes:
  • Options

It would be available on youtube within minutes
  • Options
    I'm not a supporter of the death penalty - but that always seemed skewed logic to me. It's like saying if you support the woman's right to choose you should perform an abortion or if you eat meat you ought to go and work in an abbatoir...

No, thats not what I was saying at all.

I was saying you should at least research it properly so that you actually know what you are supporting...or go and watch it happen (granted maybe I should have left that last bit out).
  • Options

It used to be a great day out for all the family in this country. Hawkers and traders would set up stalls, you could buy food and drink, copies of the short plays or books which regaled the reader with morality tales of why the person was on the rope. And if you were really lucky the condemed man would either make a good final speech (expressing remorse or damning his jailers and the judge) followed by the hangman making a bodge - (which always improved the mood of the crowd)
  • Options
    In the oldest pub in London, by the banks of the Thames around the Wapping area, people would have their pint while watching the condemned, who had been tied up to a post, slowly drown as the tide came up.

The human race is a very sick one.
  • Options
    "Right, who threw that?"

"SHE did.....he did, him, him, it was him."

"Are there any women here today?" :D
  • Options
    In the oldest pub in London, by the banks of the Thames around the Wapping area, people would have their pint while watching the condemned, who had been tied up to a post, slowly drown as the tide came up.

They probably did something quite sick to deserve that themselves though.
  • Options
    Yeah- like being a Catholic or accused of plotting against the Monarch.
  • Options

Exactly.
  • Options

Is that accurate? It seems based on the execution of pirates who were hung (to death), before being left out (I can't remember for how may tides). I'm 99% sure that the British never used drowning a punishment.
  • Options

Or a protestant (mainly Protestant for heresy)- but they wouldn't be drowned. They would be hung, drawn and quartered for treason or in a few cases decapitated. For witchcraft, infacticide or heresy (under Bloody Mary for example) they were likely to be burned (though in later years the accussed would have gunpowder hung round their neck to ensure a quicker - if more messy - end).
  • Options
    Exactly.

Being a Catholic is "sick"! :lol:

Instead of finding a perfect way of killing someone, Portillo should've spent time lobbying those cunts about how barbaric it is in the first place.
  • Options
    For witchcraft, infacticide or heresy (under Bloody Mary for example) they were likely to be burned (though in later years the accussed would have gunpowder hung round their neck to ensure a quicker - if more messy - end).
    Now, that I'd like to see ;)
  • Options
    Is that accurate? It seems based on the execution of pirates who were hung (to death), before being left out (I can't remember for how may tides). I'm 99% sure that the British never used drowning a punishment.
    That's what the pub in question claimed in its literature. They could have had it wrong but I believe I might have read it elsewhere.

Can't even remember the name of the pub but I've been to it many years ago.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Being a Catholic is "sick"! :lol:

Obviously I wasn't serious.
  • Options
    Now, that I'd like to see ;)

Which? I can't imagine seeing someone burn to death would be a pleasant sight. The smell of burning hair is bad enough let alone the smell of burning flesh.
  • Options
    Explosive charges around the head are the way to go though. Go with a bang, as it were.

;)