Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Purchasing a push-bike.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For general leisure activities.

What else, on top of the bike do I need to purchase?:

> Hat
> Lights (what kind?)
> Lock and chain
> Wet weathers??

How much am I looking at having to spend. Bike quality doesn't really bother me, I'm still gonna get an achey arse at the end of the day :o

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think NO purchasing will be going ahead until I've sorted my fricking finances out!!
    When you do decide to get one, have a look in Halfords. They do standard packages that come with everything you need.
    You can get a half decent second hand bike for 25-20 quid. Only bother with lights if you're riding in the dark
    If you get lights don't get the flashing ones! As a driver in a cyclist city, they are the most annoying and distracting things ever. I'd have a look in the local classifieds, freecycle, ebay etc. for one because as kangoo said, you can get fairly decent second hand ones.
    When you do decide to get one, have a look in Halfords. They do standard packages that come with everything you need.

Evil, overpriced place! :p Have a google for local bike shops, they are often much better for aftercare and in my experience they build the bikes to a much better standard than Halfords do. And are usually cheaper :p

Having said that, Halfords usually have a bike for about 80 quid - the build quality is poor on them, but if you're just looking for a cheap runaround then it might be worth having a look.
    Thanks guys :)
    Doofay wrote: »
    Halfords usually have a bike for about 80 quid - the build quality is poor on them, but if you're just looking for a cheap runaround then it might be worth having a look.

Those were the ones I was thinking of. For a general cheap run around they're fine, and sometimes the packages are a very good deal for all the extra bits.

As a regular run around cyclist who likes living I'd say you need:
    bike with functioning front and back brakes
    ladies saddle (if you're a lady)
    Helmet (there's no real gain from buying anything other than the cheapest British Standard one)
    Red rear light and white front light if cycling in low night or at night
    Cable lock
    Trouser Clip
    I quite like the idea of a bike but I'm scared the bastard bus drivers will kill me round here!

:yes:

I've had mountain bikes all my life and recently got a more traditional 'town bike' that have thinner tyres, fixed frame and less weight so it's much easier to peddle with and get up to speed. I've found travelling in traffic quite nice actually. Not bothered with a helmet but York like some other towns is a 'safe haven' for cyclists. Still I guess it's stupid to presume you'll be safe.

For the lock get a D lock as at least in York they just cut through the cable locks - if there's two bikes there they'll take the unlocked one but... some people steal anything that isn't bolted down. My girlfriend used my bicycle and left the lights on, someone came along and unscrewed them! For lights, ffs.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    For the lock get a D lock as at least in York they just cut through the cable locks - if there's two bikes there they'll take the unlocked one but... some people steal anything that isn't bolted down. My girlfriend used my bicycle and left the lights on, someone came along and unscrewed them! For lights, ffs.

For various reasons I'm not going to post how it's done, but D-locks can be gotten through with a simple to obtain tool. It takes a bit longer and looks more suspicious than cutting through a simple cable lock though. You're right though, cos a D-lock is much easier to transport than a decent motorbike lock :p

If the wheels and saddle have quick shift it's often a good idea to put the saddle in a bag if you're leaving the bike somewhere not very public, and take the wheels off and put the d-lock through those and the frame too, as I've heard of a lot of people having their wheels nicked in a few seconds cos of quick shift.