Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

FAO anyone with an IUD

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry for the plethora of b/c threads, I'm in a spot! I am sick to death of the pill. Not of the pill, just the whole lot of crap that comes with it. It's freaking expensive, the doctor is just a bitch about it too :\

So I'm looking for a long term birth control method. One that they can't say no to just because I can't afford to come in and be violated!

Anywho, rant over. Not really, ask the right question and the rant will start right back up :p

So I'm interested in the IUD. But reading up on it I don't like the sound of the side effects so I'd like to know peoples experiences on these certian side effects so I can weigh the options.

First, are you, or do you know somebody on the copper or the hormonal one and how long have you had it?

Has the IUD ever become imbedded or expelled?

How was your period with it? It says it can cause longer heavier periods. Right now I'm on this lovely pill that gives me 3 day periods every other month or so. It's too nice and I definatly do not want to go back to periods :p

Any other opinions, experiences?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    am getting the hormone one on thursday...will let you know lol! although the hormone one is less likely to give you longer periods after the initial period has settled down.
    Oh excelent! Let me know if it hurts!
    I had the non hormonal IUD fitted in July this year, it hurt but it was bearable, my first one started to fall out after a few days and needed to be taken out and replaced but other than that its been fine. Yes I get longer heavier periods but for me it was worth it as I can't take hormonal contraceptives.

My bloke has no complaints with feeling the wires and I have to go be checked every 6 months to make sure its still there and everything is ok with it.
    Ive had both.

If i get another one, i will get non-hormonal, because i dont feel good with extra hormones, gain weight etc, even though they say that its such a small dose of homone in the mirena it shouldnt cause that, and for most people it probably doesnt but for a few people it still does.
    The added advantages of it though are that it pretty much stops periods. Thats a huge plus for most people, its also got less of a failure rate than sterilisation - really really effective.

The non hormonal, well it can make your periods a bit heavier and more painful, although it didnt make too much of a difference with me. I think my periods lasted about a day longer on it, which wasnt such a problem going from 4 days to 5, but if you already have heavy painful periods, it might not be that attractive a prospect.

It never fell out or became embedded.

It does hurt to get it put in, but its over quickly, and then you dont have to worry about it for years.
    getting it taken out doesnt hurt at all though.
    Thanks! Unfortunatly on normal pills or without I get niiice 8-9 day periods :\ I'll have a gander about the mirena when I go in next :D

I read that its better to get it done during your period, has anybody actually done that? I couldn't imagine getting that done then.
    when i had my IUD fitted they would only do it on my period, i had to wait for a period then go and have it done coz i was irregular. I have two things in my head about this but they are both vague and i cannot remember if they were what i was told at the time or something i have heard since.

1) u have it fitted during your period coz ur cervix is more open, therefore easier

2) they need to be fairly sure u are not pregnant before they do it.

i can't remember where the info is from though.
    yah had it done today and whilst it's not the most comfortable of things (feels a bit like period cramps) it was over pretty quickly. I wasn't too bothered by the faffing around with speculum but the actual insertion is uncomfy and weird lol. I had it done a week after my period actually finished, but had to not have sex for a few days cos even condoms aren't reliable enough. i have the ius one, mirena, and will let you know if i get any symptoms. currently just got period like cramps! they say that any hormonal effects normally settle down in the first few months anyway.