Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it possible to be in love with someone on the internet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have you been in love with someone you met on the internet but not in person yet?

Comments

• Options
    Have you? People tend to answer their own questions first or give a bit of background as to why they are asking, just to let you know :)

As for me no I haven't and I'm not sure if I would find it possible to fall in love with someone I had never met. If I did, I think once you had met the circumstances would probably change as you avoid arguments to an extent and physical contact with an online relationship whereas one where you see your partner is totally different.
  • Options
    Impossible. Fatuation yes, love no. You need a physical chemistry and connection for the whole package. Also could you please remove your link. :)
  • Options
    I've had a nasty experience that taught me a quite a bit and my beliefs are that no it's not possible. You can like the person and be good friends with them but I don't think it can ever be true or realistic love.
  • Options
    i know its possible because thats how i ended up in (for the most part) a great 2 and 1/2 year relationship...

but, i think (and know) that they can become horrendously complicated and difficult and that you should meet if you feel that strongly. otherwise drop it.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont feel you can be in love through only a correspondence type relationship without meeting that person.

But there is nothing to say if you were to meet that person that you wouldnt fall in love.

You can have strong feelings for them, good and bad, and lust after them, but to be in love, you need to 'know' them.
  • Options
    You can never know how true to themself a person is being on the internet. People aren't always the same in real life. So for that reason, I'd say it wasn't really possible.
    However, from my own experience it is possible to get very close to someone on the internet and if you meet them and those feelings are still there then a love could bud from that.

I supose the difference is the barrier of the internet makes you in love with the idea of someone, not the actual person.
  • Options
    i would say a lot of people aren't true in real life either....but thats jsut the bitterness in me i suppose
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I dont feel you can be in love through only a correspondence type relationship without meeting that person.

But there is nothing to say if you were to meet that person that you wouldnt fall in love.

Agree! You can't love someone you haven't met, but maybe you can know that you will love them in the future?
  • Options
    I don't know. I have no clue what love is, but if it's that what I felt at that time: then yes. But it's a bit of a sad thing I s'pose.
  • Options
    No, you cant love someone you've never met because the chemisty wont be there. You can love the idea of someone, but not the actual person.
  • Options
    Well I think that you cannot love someone you met on the internet, even in real life people people often don't know if they are in love or not.

But saying this before i started uni my friend met a girl on the internet who was going to same uni and course as him. The last night in our home town he told me he loved her which i found funny at the time. But now he actually going out with her and its going really well.

So all sorts can happen, they prob met in real life in the best way as well in public on neutral ground.
  • Options
    I know you can get quite a strong connection with somebody like that, you know that you've got a lot in common etc. It makes it more real when you start texting and talking on the phone aswell, but love is something that develops over time and physical intimacy is part of it aswell.

I can't help but think people who think they've fallen in love over the internet maybe want it to be love rather than it having any basis in reality?
  • Options
    i think you can be attracted to someone over the internet but not really love
  • Options
    Is it possible to be in love with someone on the internet? Probably not. You can definitely think "I like this person" or get an idea of what they're like as a person. Unfortunately, that can be completely the wrong idea. When you do eventually meet that person, they may be totally different to the one you expected, and that can hurt emotionally.

Use the Internet to find love, by all means. But until you've actually met them in the flesh, exercise a certain amount of caution.
  • Options
    Yes I was, at least I thought I was. But after long time when I showed him my feelings I realized that I was in love just with his kind words :(
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Agree! You can't love someone you haven't met, but maybe you can know that you will love them in the future?
    :yes:
  • Options
    Not loooooove. But I've always had a MAJOR soft spot for someone that I've spoken to since I was 18. He has too, but not to the extent I have been over the past few years. Probably at the start of us gabbing he felt similar.

Anyways, it really doesn't help that he's absolutely easy on the eye and always has such brill chat. Sigh. That and him living in ruddy Romford.

I always think that if I had a bloke I was going to be with for a good duration, they'd live up to what he had to offer.

We used to chat on the phone and MSN for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages. Send daft pictures and almost saucy ones too, I sent him a Valentine last year as a pisstake and his Mum was all 'Why have you got a Valentine card from an 8 year old?' cause it was all naff and handmade, ha.

I've not heard from him in aaaaaaaaages though. Sent him a crimbo card, and niente. Puh.
  • Options
    Worked for me - I met my boyfriend off here and now we live together and are in love etc.
    But yeah, I'm probably just deluding myself, aren't I?
  • Options
    before I get off it? hehe
    I did read the OP, but I was responding to your post.

Besides I agree with what Kaff said.
  • Options
    i think you can think you love someone, but as others have said, you cant love someone without meeting them in person.
    i met the guy im seeing now online, and i knew i REALLY liked him, but you cant tell for sure untill you meet, luckily since we met in person its just getting better and better :)
  • Options
    no :)
  • Options
    i think its possible to start to fall in love with someone over the internet. i met one of my ex's through the internet and didnt have a clue what he looked like until he came down on a mates stag weekend.

i wouldnt say i was in love with him but definatly feel in love with him alot quicker because of the internet.

woo the joy of the technology:heart: