Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Volunteering in Hospitals & Self Harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was talking to a Connexions officer on Thursday and he asked me if I knew what I was going to do next year and what I would study at university. He gave me the phone number of the volunteering department at the main hospital where I live. I got an aplication form in the post this morning.

My question is, it asks about mental health. If I declare that I self harm (or used to; not done anything for just over a month) how likely is it that they'll still take me on?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It shouldn't mean that they automatically turn you down, plenty of the people I knew when I volunteered self harmed.
    It shouldn't mean that they automatically turn you down, plenty of the people I knew when I volunteered self harmed.

:yes: You should declare it, but they shouldnt turn you down without a good reason. They might not put you on certain wards because of it though.
    Melian wrote: »
    I was talking to a Connexions officer on Thursday and he asked me if I knew what I was going to do next year and what I would study at university. He gave me the phone number of the volunteering department at the main hospital where I live. I got an aplication form in the post this morning.

My question is, it asks about mental health. If I declare that I self harm (or used to; not done anything for just over a month) how likely is it that they'll still take me on?
    I agree with all the above - I think it's somthing that you should let them know about, but it shouldnt make a difference. Have you ever done any Volunteer work before...? You'll have to let us know how you get on!

Dan xxx
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I got accepted on a volunteering progamme in a children's hospital despite my mental health problems, including self harm.
    Sh

As far as I know they are not allowed to discriminate against you for any reason, including mental health problems.